Its Time to Texit.

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 23

Re: Its Time to Texit.

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Yall ready yet?

eyedoc
Posts in topic: 1

Post by eyedoc »

Let's roll.

philip964
Posts in topic: 4

Post by philip964 »

Would people from the left coast be allowed to immigrate?

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

philip964 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:40 am Would people from the left coast be allowed to immigrate?
Only if they can show their Texas passport at the border. That would be an AR platform rifle or pistol and a minimum of 1,000 rounds of ammo for it.

:evil2:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Grayling813 »

philip964 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:40 am Would people from the left coast be allowed to immigrate?
Read Kurt Schlichter‘s fiction books....which are sounding more non-fiction by the day. He has some great ideas about citizenship in the new Constitutional Republic.

clarionite
Posts in topic: 2

Post by clarionite »

As much as I may agree or disagree with talks of Texit and other remedies that those who are inclined to feel aggrieved currently, I'd remind everyone that the current atmosphere is very hostile. To the point of open talk of retribution for just being a part of the opposing political party. N ow really isn't the time for open talk that could be used against someone in witch trials.

I don't think Democrats have much to fear from those who are vocal and loud. It's those that silently observe they need to be concerned about. And I think they know it.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

http://chng.it/W5FZ6KmmJC, my 2cents worth
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

philip964
Posts in topic: 4

Post by philip964 »

crazy2medic wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:24 pm http://chng.it/W5FZ6KmmJC, my 2cents worth
This above seems to believe there is a legal way of leaving. If I remember during the Obama days, it was bantered about and I thought there was no legal mechanism.

Seems like since we were our own country, it would have been a good thing to stick in the joining agreement, but all I remember was Texas could become more smaller states if it wanted.

Any ideas?

Hoodasnacks

Post by Hoodasnacks »

This was a fun stroll down memory lane to read.

We live in a country where truth is a lie, and lies are truth. Even worse, you can't speak the truth without risking your livelihood.

I find it interesting that all of the considerations discussed above were in terms of economics. Our founders correctly addressed all of these concerns with a more simple thought process. The declaration of Independence ends with the following: "with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor."

In other words. If we are good people devoted to our creator's goals (including allowing free agency, free worship, etc. -- no matter what you believe), it will work out. That is what we need to work on individually, and as Texans.

As of now I am 50/50 on Texit. If the republicans lose GA and Washington DC is named a state shortly thereafter (or court packing happens), then I'm all in. At that point the momentum will be impossibly against us and the freedom of our children will be at stake. Hopefully that does not happen.

I am grateful every day that I am surrounded by Texans.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

philip964 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:40 pm
crazy2medic wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:24 pm http://chng.it/W5FZ6KmmJC, my 2cents worth
This above seems to believe there is a legal way of leaving. If I remember during the Obama days, it was bantered about and I thought there was no legal mechanism.

Seems like since we were our own country, it would have been a good thing to stick in the joining agreement, but all I remember was Texas could become more smaller states if it wanted.

Any ideas?
In the case of Texas v. White, et al, SCOTUS ruled that membership in the United States was in perpetuity and that there was no legal or Constitutional way to dissolve that union. The logic used was that the original union was based on the Articles of Confederation specifically stated it was a perpetual union and the Constitution says it was to form a more perfect union. If a union is perpetual and then made more perfect, how could that not still be perpetual.

While this decision referred to Texas seceding during the Civil War, it can also be taken to mean the congress cannot kick us out nor can it agree to us leaving. The possibilities then become that a new SCOTUS disregards this precedent, either recognizes Texas independence on the basis of our secession or recognizing Texas independence on the basis of a congressional agreement granting us independence. Otherwise, Texas becomes independent solely by violent means and convincing the US and the world that we won the ensuing war.
Steve Rothstein

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

srothstein wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:04 am
philip964 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:40 pm

Any ideas?
In the case of Texas v. White, et al, SCOTUS ruled that membership in the United States was in perpetuity and that there was no legal or Constitutional way to dissolve that union. The logic used was that the original union was based on the Articles of Confederation specifically stated it was a perpetual union and the Constitution says it was to form a more perfect union. If a union is perpetual and then made more perfect, how could that not still be perpetual.

While this decision referred to Texas seceding during the Civil War, it can also be taken to mean the congress cannot kick us out nor can it agree to us leaving. The possibilities then become that a new SCOTUS disregards this precedent, either recognizes Texas independence on the basis of our secession or recognizing Texas independence on the basis of a congressional agreement granting us independence. Otherwise, Texas becomes independent solely by violent means and convincing the US and the world that we won the ensuing war.
sigh....
the Founders never intended or expected this country to 1. get this large, and/or 2. last this long, much less "in perpetuity". That's nuts.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

What would happen to the veterans being cared for by VA Hospitals?
Charlie

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

They'd probably get better care else where, my Grandfather HATED the VA, refused to go there! From my own personal experience taking Vets to the VA in Dallas the one thing that always shined through, the VA doesn't Care!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 7

Post by J.R.@A&M »

~ Texas would have between the 7th and the 10th ranked economy worldwide ***** Not necessarily. The size of the present economy is partly the result of the stability of the current political/legal system, not to mention the relative stability of the U.S. currency and bond markets. You can't assume that all of those positive influences will continue in an independent Texas.

~ Texas has its own, fully independent electrical grid.*****Who owns it? If it is not State property, are you proposing that the State "nationalize" it?

~ Texas has its own water.**** The State has some water. Private landowners also own some water. Mexico and the United States own, by treaty, some water. Overall, Texas is a water deficit place, west of I-35. Texit raises more issues than solves in that regard.

~ Texas surpasses Saudia Arabia in oil exports, and provides ¼ of the United States (minus Texas) oil.**** The State doesn't own relatively much oil. Private and corporate concerns own the oil. Not all of those concerns are now or would remain residents of Independent Texas.

~ Texas is 6th in wind-energy production. ******** We have the wind, I'll give you that. However, the industry is privately owned. How investment in this or any other industry would evolve in an Independent Texas remains to be seen.

~ Texas is home to 51 of the Fortune 500 companies. ****** Not all of those concerns are now or would remain residents of Independent Texas.

~ If Texas spent the average of 4% GDP on defense, we would be 10th in the world on defense spending, on par with Germany, Japan and India. This would be roughly twice the spending of Isreal, Italy and Australia. Texans make up about 12% of the current US military and account for 11.5% of the US population. With a Texas economy and attitude, defense would not be an issue. ****** The issue of defense raises a lot more issues than it answers. Say what you will about wasteful spending by the military industrial complex, at least they have economies of scale that Indep. Texas would not have as much of. Israeli defense is backstopped by Amerian defense spending. Would Indep. Texas enjoy the same relationship?
Last edited by J.R.@A&M on Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”