Interesting gun bills filed for 2019 session

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

jb2012
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Interesting bill regarding guns made in Texas

Post by jb2012 »

TreyHouston wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:25 pm
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.washin ... -over-sta/

“A federal judge spared from prison two Kansas men convicted of federal firearms violations after taking into account Monday their mistaken belief that a Kansas law can shield from federal prosecution anyone owning firearms made, sold and kept in the state.”

Both got a felony charge and 2 years probation. Lives destroyed anyways

VERY interesting case. Even compared to marijuana in Colorado. Theor AG and governor would not back them in court either. Very interesting case
Definitely interesting. I also believe the fact that they were manufacturing suppressors for business profit played a larger role in their prosecution than making the items themselves. I could be wrong but I haven’t seen anyone prosecuted solely for assembling their own sbr/sbs/suppressor and having for personal use in those states. Nevertheless they were prosecuted and will likely never own a firearm again without some legal miracle.

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Interesting gun bills filed for 2019 session

Post by der Teufel »

Cox was making suppressors or parts as a business. Kettler was 'simply' a happy customer. He made the mistake of posting about his suppressor on his Facebook page, which brought it to the attention of the Feds.

So, one guy was indeed conducting a business, but Kettler was not.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I don't think the bill declaring Texas-made and owned firearms not being subject to Federal jurisdiction will pass muster, especially in light of what has happened in other states. However, the other bill about not aiding the Feds regarding gun laws, not in conjunction with another crime, might. After all, can the Feds COMPEL assistance from state, county, or municipal law enforcement? In a similar vein, there is the situation that the State of New York found itself in when the so-called "SAFE Act" was passed up there. The bulk of NY State Sheriffs came together and stated that they wouldn't waste any resources enforcing the provisions of that law not in conjunction with some other crime. Maybe one of our properly-schooled folks, and I know we have a few of them here, can give their take on this.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

umm....it's too early for them to be filing bills yet, isn't it? I thought that couldn't happen until sometime in Jan?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Oldgringo

Re: Interesting bill regarding guns made in Texas

Post by Oldgringo »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:47 pm
mojo84 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:30 pm Another one.

Another gun bill by @RepMattKrause, HB 238, would bar state agencies, local governments from helping the feds enforce gun regulations in Texas. Exempted: border security operations. #txlege
I have mixed feelings on this one. On one hand, I’ll take anything that protects gun rights in Texas. But on the other hand, there is little difference between this tactic, and states that declare themselves “sanctuary states” for the purposes of protecting illegal immigrants from ICE. Both are examples of a state defying federal law by passing a state law that forbids state lawn enforcement from cooperating with federal law enforcement in that specific area of the law. It seems to me that gun rights activists make themselves vulnerable to the exact same arguments that conservatives would use to invalidate immigration sanctuary, used against a pro-gun law like that.

Thoughts?
I agree with TAM. Texas is a state in the Republic. These two bills fall under the heading of El Stupido.

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

SewTexas wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:27 pm umm....it's too early for them to be filing bills yet, isn't it? I thought that couldn't happen until sometime in Jan?
Nope.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas-le ... 19-session
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

mojo84 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:44 pm
SewTexas wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:27 pm umm....it's too early for them to be filing bills yet, isn't it? I thought that couldn't happen until sometime in Jan?
Nope.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas-le ... 19-session

OK, time to build a new section in my planner.....
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

OK TAM. I'll jump into the devil's advocate role.

1. What part of the Constitution gives the Federal government the power to regulate anything built and used in Texas?. I get it that power has been usurped in situations like the farmer growing crops for his own use being declared interstate commerce. That was a real stretch and should have been slapped down. Like "shall not be infringed", "interstate" has been twisted to mean things that it shouldn't.
2. I think that I understand the interpretation of supremacy clause and that to overturn a Federal law, a State should have to take the Feds to court over it, not try to nullify it with their own laws. But if the Federal law is outside of its granted powers, the State should win, based on the 10th Amendment.

My $.02.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

chasfm11 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:08 pm OK TAM. I'll jump into the devil's advocate role.

1. What part of the Constitution gives the Federal government the power to regulate anything built and used in Texas?. I get it that power has been usurped in situations like the farmer growing crops for his own use being declared interstate commerce. That was a real stretch and should have been slapped down. Like "shall not be infringed", "interstate" has been twisted to mean things that it shouldn't.
2. I think that I understand the interpretation of supremacy clause and that to overturn a Federal law, a State should have to take the Feds to court over it, not try to nullify it with their own laws. But if the Federal law is outside of its granted powers, the State should win, based on the 10th Amendment.

My $.02.
Agreed completely (and what I was trying to state upthread).
PriestTheRunner wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:16 pm So my two cents on this bill is that it is simply another way to take Jay Aubrey Isaac Hollis vs US to the supreme court now that we have a R majority.
I think it would be great for us to sue to address the legality of the circumstances.... And hopefully overturn Wickard v. Filburn while we are at it.

That was very nearly the first domino that led us to this situation with unrestrained federal authority.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

chasfm11 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:08 pm OK TAM. I'll jump into the devil's advocate role.

My $.02.
Just to be clear, I am NOT arguing against this bill. ALL I am doing is pointing out that it is vulnerable to the same kind of criticisms from the left that the right uses against sanctuary city/state immigration laws. There have been times in our history when it was the wrong thing to do, but as a general thing, I tend to favor states telling the fed gov’t where/when to step off.

To answer your question, Congress has used the commerce clause to abuse all kinds of things. They’re not about to stop either. You’re right. A federal attempt to regulate manufacturing that never leaves the sate is bunk. But they do it anyway, and I predict that if this law is challenged, it will be done either under the Commerce Clause, or by somehow extending ATF’s mandate into this area.

The flip side of that is that we’ve gotten two new conservative justices, and might get another one if RBG steps down. So if the issue ever get’s to SCOTUS, the ruling on the topic may well go our way. We’ll see.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:15 pm

My $.02.
Just to be clear, I am NOT arguing against this bill. ALL I am doing is pointing out that it is vulnerable to the same kind of criticisms from the left that the right uses against sanctuary city/state immigration laws. There have been times in our history when it was the wrong thing to do, but as a general thing, I tend to favor states telling the fed gov’t where/when to step off.

To answer your question, Congress has used the commerce clause to abuse all kinds of things. They’re not about to stop either. You’re right. A federal attempt to regulate manufacturing that never leaves the sate is bunk. But they do it anyway, and I predict that if this law is challenged, it will be done either under the Commerce Clause, or by somehow extending ATF’s mandate into this area.

The flip side of that is that we’ve gotten two new conservative justices, and might get another one if RBG steps down. So if the issue ever get’s to SCOTUS, the ruling on the topic may well go our way. We’ll see.
I'm not arguing for or against the bill without further information either. I simply grabbed the side that says just because of rampant abuse doesn't make it right. I agree that two Conservative justices in SCOTUS (and hopefully three soon) might make a difference.

Regarding sanctuary cities, etc., the Federal government is clearly given that Constitutional responsibility. I view the argument for allowing States that kind of power on this topic as further erosion of the Constitution but am not surprised, given who is doing it. I think there could be a argument for consistency on the Constitution by the GOP if they would stop eroding it, too.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

To slightly change the subject, to have this many bills to file this soon after the election, I think there were a number of them already written just in hopes of a win on election night. Some may have even passed from the hands of a loser to a winner to bring in.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:15 pm

My $.02.

After Trump appoints 2+ additional constitutionalists to the SCOTUS, I am hopeful that we will see things like the abuse of the commerce clause and civil asset forfeiture declared unconstitutional. That's why the SCOTUS will be the most important part of Trump's legacy. The next democrat President will destroy his economy and re-impose burdensome regulations, but it will take them much longer to reverse his improvements on the highest court in the land.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Manufacturing Title 1 firearms is one thing. Manufacturing anything covered by the National Firearms Act is an entirely different kettle of fish - at least when it comes to entertaining the federal prosecutors.

May not be the way it should be, but is most definitely the way things are.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:20 amAfter Trump appoints 2+ additional constitutionalists to the SCOTUS, I am hopeful that we will see things like the abuse of the commerce clause and civil asset forfeiture declared unconstitutional. That's why the SCOTUS will be the most important part of Trump's legacy. The next democrat President will destroy his economy and re-impose burdensome regulations, but it will take them much longer to reverse his improvements on the highest court in the land.
Amen to clarifying the Commerce Clause, but I think that Civil Asset Forfeiture is the greatest of all the injustices that gov’ts engage in - at ANY level. I can’t quote the cite, but I was under the impression that SCOTUS had already addressed it and ruled in gov’t’s favor. Am I wrong about that? Please God, let me be wrong. If I am, then it is my prayer that SCOTUS will eventually revisit it and kill it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”