30.06/30.07 question

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TexanVeteran
Posts in topic: 2

30.06/30.07 question

Post by TexanVeteran »

I have a question regarding notices from establishments.

Where are they required to be and do they have to be weather-resistant?

This question is hecause if a bar I actually enjoy. They have all 3 39.06, 39.96, and 51% posted, but they are inside the entry door.

There is also a possibility of oatrins coming in through the patio in some cases.

I am not going to carry in there, but I would like to know if I should bring this to their attention.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 30.06/30.07 question

Post by Flightmare »

Texas PC 30.06 (3) (B) a sign posted on the property that:

(i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;

(ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and

(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
Texas PC 30.07 (3) (B) a sign posted on the property that:

(i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;

(ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and

(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public at each entrance to the property.
That being said, a a business is not limited to notifying you via sign. They can also provide a card or other written document that contains the required wording, or they can provide oral notification.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs ... /PE.30.htm
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Grumpy1993

Post by Grumpy1993 »

If an outdoor sign isn't weather resistant, I don't think it will be "contrasting colors" and "clearly visible" very long.
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

If it's a 51% location, it doesn't matter whether they post the sign or not.

According to PC §46.035:
(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed or carried in a shoulder or belt holster, on or about the license holder’s person:

(1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;
So even without a sign, carrying in a 51% location is illegal.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

TexanVeteran wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:19 pm I am not going to carry in there, but I would like to know if I should bring this to their attention.
Early on when I first got my license I, naively and wrongly, assumed I was helping a business by notifying them of their incorrect, non-compliant, and insufficient 30.06 signs for notification. :oops: :banghead:

What a bonehead I was. I didn't think it through that they might then post valid signs. The same still applies today and might be even more critical with the addition of 30.07. Don't inform a business that any of their signs are incorrect or invalid.

For a 51% sign that is up and shouldn't be just notify the TABC. They'll take care of it. In most cases, the business that posts one that shouldn't won't believe you or me anyway or care.

If they should post a 51% sign, but are not you could notify the TABC and that would probably be helpful since whether or not the sign is up it is still a violation for us to carry in there. However, a slight caveat is that if they are not posted it is a defense to prosecution that might help someone that doesn't check in advance or know if the place is a legitimate 51% location.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

C-dub wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:23 am
TexanVeteran wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:19 pm I am not going to carry in there, but I would like to know if I should bring this to their attention.
Early on when I first got my license I, naively and wrongly, assumed I was helping a business by notifying them of their incorrect, non-compliant, and insufficient 30.06 signs for notification. :oops: :banghead:

What a bonehead I was. I didn't think it through that they might then post valid signs. The same still applies today and might be even more critical with the addition of 30.07. Don't inform a business that any of their signs are incorrect or invalid.

For a 51% sign that is up and shouldn't be just notify the TABC. They'll take care of it. In most cases, the business that posts one that shouldn't won't believe you or me anyway or care.

If they should post a 51% sign, but are not you could notify the TABC and that would probably be helpful since whether or not the sign is up it is still a violation for us to carry in there. However, a slight caveat is that if they are not posted it is a defense to prosecution that might help someone that doesn't check in advance or know if the place is a legitimate 51% location.
TABC doesn't play around either. I've notified them of a few locations, and seen the signs changed inside a business week.
NRA Benefactor Member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ScottDLS »

Pawpaw wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:44 am If it's a 51% location, it doesn't matter whether they post the sign or not.

According to PC §46.035:
(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed or carried in a shoulder or belt holster, on or about the license holder’s person:

(1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;
Technically if they do not post, you have a defense to prosecution. In my view that means it's not illegal. That is unless you consider carrying anywhere WITH LTC illegal, since 46.15 is ruled only a Defense to 46.02.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Pawpaw wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:44 am If it's a 51% location, it doesn't matter whether they post the sign or not.

According to PC §46.035:

True, and oddly, if an invalid 51% is posted, it's not illegal to carry past it (but I wouldn't want to have that discussion).
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Ike Aramba

Post by Ike Aramba »

ScottDLS wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:16 am Technically if they do not post, you have a defense to prosecution. In my view that means it's not illegal. That is unless you consider carrying anywhere WITH LTC illegal, since 46.15 is ruled only a Defense to 46.02.
:iagree: Reporting a missing 51% sign is as counterproductive as reporting a non-compliant 30.06 sign.

On the other hand, reporting a false 51% sign at a non-51% premises to TABC is still a good idea, to help prevent false arrests by konfused keystone kops.
"Eastern European intellectuals, reading 1984 in clandestine editions, were amazed to find that its author had never visited the Soviet Union. How, then, had he captured its mental and moral atmosphere? By reading its propaganda, and by paying attention..."

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

oohrah wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:56 am

According to PC §46.035:

True, and oddly, if an invalid 51% is posted, it's not illegal to carry past it (but I wouldn't want to have that discussion).
Technically not true. See my earlier post.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

ScottDLS wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:23 pm

According to PC §46.035:

What? Re-read what oohrah said again please. Although oddly phrased I think what he is saying is correct.

If a non-51% business puts up the 51% sign that doesn't make it illegal to carry past it, right? Or are you saying it is illegal even though the business does not meet the 51% requirements?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

C-dub wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:58 pm
ScottDLS wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:23 pm

According to PC §46.035:

What? Re-read what oohrah said again please. Although oddly phrased I think what he is saying is correct.

If a non-51% business puts up the 51% sign that doesn't make it illegal to carry past it, right? Or are you saying it is illegal even though the business does not meet the 51% requirements?
No I'm saying that it is NOT illegal to carry in a 51% location if they are not properly posted. It is correct that if a non-51% location is (wrongly) posted 51%, you may carry. I was saying Paw-Paw was mistaken.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

ScottDLS wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:51 pmIt is correct that if a non-51% location is (wrongly) posted 51%, you may carry.
We agree on this. :iagree:

ScottDLS wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:51 pmI was saying Paw-Paw was mistaken.
ScottDLS wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:51 pmNo I'm saying that it is NOT illegal to carry in a 51% location if they are not properly posted.
I Disagree. This is what Pawpaw was saying. It is still illegal and I mentioned that the lack of a sign or properly posted sign is only a defense to prosecution.

If I'm still misunderstanding your position I apologize. My allergies are bugging me tonight and they are becoming quite irritating.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

C-dub wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:32 pm
ScottDLS wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:51 pmIt is correct that if a non-51% location is (wrongly) posted 51%, you may carry.
We agree on this. :iagree:

ScottDLS wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:51 pmI was saying Paw-Paw was mistaken.
ScottDLS wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:51 pmNo I'm saying that it is NOT illegal to carry in a 51% location if they are not properly posted.
I Disagree. This is what Pawpaw was saying. It is still illegal and I mentioned that the lack of a sign or properly posted sign is only a defense to prosecution.

If I'm still misunderstanding your position I apologize. My allergies are bugging me tonight and they are becoming quite irritating.
Having an LTC is also only a defense to prosecution to 46.02. So if something is “illegal” when you have a valid defense, then everyone carrying under one of the 46.15 provisions, including LEO are breaking the law, or doing something “illegal”.

Topic author
TexanVeteran
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexanVeteran »

Thanks guys. I didn't expect this kind of dialogue from this question. It is a bar and they do (and should) have the 51% sign. But it's on the same spot as the other two.

However, from reading all of the responses, I believe it is best for me to not say anything, can and that it is still illegal to carry in they. I also believe the sign (51%) is enforceable based on the responses.

While it may be a defense to prosecution based on the location of the signs, a defense does not mean someone will be found not guilty of it goes to a trial.

I want to thank everyone for responding to my question regarding this matter, and please feel free (I'm sure y'all would anyway, lol) to continue the dialogue.

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”