HB 2949 - Expedited Special License for Certain At-Risk Persons

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 2

HB 2949 - Expedited Special License for Certain At-Risk Persons

Post by Papa_Tiger »

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... ill=HB2949

Creates a method for expediting approval (10 days max) of a special LTC for certain persons who are at an increased risk of becoming victims of violence.

License is specially marked to show the person is at-risk and at-risk status must be renewed every year.

If at-risk status is removed, the licensee will receive a regular replacement license at no cost to the licensee.

Special license adds a defense to prosecution for carrying in 51% locations, sporting events, hospitals, amusement parks and churches even if posted and can ignore all 30.06/7 signs (TPC 46.02/3 do not apply to a person with an at-risk license).

José Shalom

Re: HB 2949 - Expedited Special License for Certain At-Risk Persons

Post by José Shalom »

No! If they want to carry a handgun they can (a) take the class, pass the tests, pass a background check, and have the same carry restrictions as the rest of us, (b) get the law changed so the right to keep and bear arms in Texas is not infringed, or (c) move to a state where the right to keep and bear arms is not infringed.

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

I would say any citizen of Houston or Dallas is at risk. What about us?

montgomery
Posts in topic: 3

Post by montgomery »

José Shalom wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:25 am No! If they want to carry a handgun they can (a) take the class, pass the tests, pass a background check, and have the same carry restrictions as the rest of us, (b) get the law changed so the right to keep and bear arms in Texas is not infringed, or (c) move to a state where the right to keep and bear arms is not infringed.

:iagree: Law abiding taxpayers are equally at risk from violent criminal actors in any and all "gun free zones". All for one and one for all.

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I presume that these special at risk licence people will include all State and local politicians and officials (because their jobs make them a target :roll: ). Sounds like another way for a chosen elite to reinforce their privilege with a special licence which will end up being "Shall Issue" for them but almost certainly "May Issue" for anyone else.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Yeah... I'm dubious of how this bill would wind up being misused
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

montgomery wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:35 am
José Shalom wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:25 am No! If they want to carry a handgun they can (a) take the class, pass the tests, pass a background check, and have the same carry restrictions as the rest of us, (b) get the law changed so the right to keep and bear arms in Texas is not infringed, or (c) move to a state where the right to keep and bear arms is not infringed.

:iagree: Law abiding taxpayers are equally at risk from violent criminal actors in any and all "gun free zones". All for one and one for all.
Did you read the Bill? I doubt you would feel this way if your daughter's husband or boyfriend beat the crap out of her and promised to kill her when she filed charges.

I too don't like elitist bills, but this Bill hardly fall into this category.

Chas.

TomV

Post by TomV »

I just skimmed the bill, but I didn't see where the person would be exempt from any of the required steps. It looks to me like they just get put at the front of the line. It also pretty much spells out what it takes to get designated at risk.

So it makes me wonder, who else actually read the bill before commenting?
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

joe817

Post by joe817 »

TomV wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:12 pm I just skimmed the bill, but I didn't see where the person would be exempt from any of the required steps. It looks to me like they just get put at the front of the line. It also pretty much spells out what it takes to get designated at risk.

:iagree: I read through the bill and came to the same conclusion.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

TomV wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:12 pm I just skimmed the bill, but I didn't see where the person would be exempt from any of the required steps. It looks to me like they just get put at the front of the line. It also pretty much spells out what it takes to get designated at risk.

Looks like its in bill section 4, new subparagraph (n).

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:09 pm

Did you read the Bill? I doubt you would feel this way if your daughter's husband or boyfriend beat the crap out of her and promised to kill her when she filed charges.

Chas.
Yes. All 9 pages. Three times. Seeings how my daughter was murdered by a stranger who stole a gun out of some car in a cul-de-sac, I am pretty sure this kind of law would not have changed the outcome. Not withstanding my personal circumstances, one of the items that may be exploited or abused is Sec. 411.184 (b)(2)(c) on page 4. I also see potential abuse and enforcement / ID issues with Sec. 46.035(n) amendment described on page 6 - which takes me back to my original statement about all for one and one for all. But I do see the valid concern in your remarks and agree this Bill does not rise to elitist status.

apostate

Post by apostate »

You know, after they repeal 46.035 and give all LTC the same 46.03 exemption as LEO, I would fully support the legislature allowing applicants with a specific credible threat go to the front of the line ahead of earlier applicants facing general threats.

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

apostate wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:13 pm You know, after they repeal 46.035 and give all LTC the same 46.03 exemption as LEO, I would fully support the legislature allowing applicants with a specific credible threat go to the front of the line ahead of earlier applicants facing general threats.
:iagree: interesting to see how the intent of this Bill survives if HB357 is passed.

Topic author
Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:09 pm

Chas.
The issue I have with this is the special carry privileges. No problems with going through the process and getting placed in the front of the line and getting your LTC expedited to you if you meet the criteria. Creating a special class of LTC that is not available to ALL law abiding Texans that exempts the carrier from 46.02, 46.03 and providing a defense to prosecution for several places in 46.035 makes this an elitist bill.

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:07 pm The issue I have with this is the special carry privileges. No problems with going through the process and getting placed in the front of the line and getting your LTC expedited to you if you meet the criteria. Creating a special class of LTC that is not available to ALL law abiding Texans that exempts the carrier from 46.02, 46.03 and providing a defense to prosecution for several places in 46.035 makes this an elitist bill.
I agree. I have no issue with an expedited process for those in need, but I do have an issue with the terms and restrictions of that license being different. As was stated, how about we can carry anywhere and then no special license would be needed.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”