Governor Abbott Signs Ten Pro-Second Amendment Bills into Law

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Governor Abbott Signs Ten Pro-Second Amendment Bills into Law

Post by Tex1961 »

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Governor Abbott Signs Ten Pro-Second Amendment Bills into Law

Post by TreyHouston »

House Bill 1177 by Rep. Dade Phelan (R-Beaumont) & Sen. Brandon Creighton (R-Conroe) protects citizens from being charged with a crime for carrying a handgun without a License To Carry while evacuating from an area during a declared state or local disaster, or while returning to that area, and allows shelters which are otherwise prohibited locations to decide whether to accommodate evacuees with firearms in their possession.

And

Senate Bill 772 by Sen. Bryan Hughes (R-Mineola) & Rep. Drew Springer (R-Muenster) provides civil liability protection to business establishments which choose not to post 30.06/30.07 signs, making them less vulnerable to frivolous lawsuits and giving them an incentive to adopt permissive policies for the carrying of handguns by law-abiding citizens on their premises.

I like those two!!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

So the state can limit liability if businesses don’t post. How about making businesses that post liable? Maybe next session.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

anygunanywhere wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:25 pm So the state can limit liability if businesses don’t post. How about making businesses that post liable? Maybe next session.
I've been promoting that for years, but it gets no traction.

Chas.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Isn't there a lawsuit emerging from this?
https://www.foxnews.com/us/gun-free-zon ... orney-says

Maybe we'll have to wait and see how this shakes out.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:50 pm
anygunanywhere wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:25 pm So the state can limit liability if businesses don’t post. How about making businesses that post liable? Maybe next session.

Chas.
Thanks Charles.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

easy10

Post by easy10 »

and HB 446 was signed by the Governor. That one surprised me just to see it filed, the knuckles bill.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

So what is the outcome of House Bill 1791? Will it have any real impact on the local government and associated groups hanging signs?
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:50 pm

Chas.
That's because it makes sense!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

chasfm11 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:41 am So what is the outcome of House Bill 1791? Will it have any real impact on the local government and associated groups hanging signs?
https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... ill=HB1791

Signed by the Governor 6/10/19. Effective 9/1/19.

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/86R/b ... navpanes=0
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

KLB

Post by KLB »

chasfm11 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:41 am So what is the outcome of House Bill 1791? Will it have any real impact on the local government and associated groups hanging signs?
The bill's a good thing, but I doubt it will reach signs such as those universally posted by the City of San Antonio. Paraphrasing, they say carrying is banned unless otherwise authorized by law. That leaves you to figure out what the city might be doing in this place that could cause an exception to apply.

Keeping the citizenry in doubt about their rights is a feature, not a bug, of San Antonio's governing philosophy.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Charles,

I'm looking forward to your 'country boy interpretation' of these bills for those of us with limited legal knowledge.
I know you've got your hands full with other 2A issues at this time, so I'm OK with waiting until you're ready to share your wisdom.

VT
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

KLB wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:59 am
The bill's a good thing, but I doubt it will reach signs such as those universally posted by the City of San Antonio. Paraphrasing, they say carrying is banned unless otherwise authorized by law. That leaves you to figure out what the city might be doing in this place that could cause an exception to apply.

Keeping the citizenry in doubt about their rights is a feature, not a bug, of San Antonio's governing philosophy.
Those who would seize our rights are tenacious at all levels. Somehow, we have to figure out how to break the stranglehold that they have on our largest cities.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

TreyHouston wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:47 pm House Bill 1177 by Rep. Dade Phelan (R-Beaumont) & Sen. Brandon Creighton (R-Conroe) protects citizens from being charged with a crime for carrying a handgun without a License To Carry while evacuating from an area during a declared state or local disaster, or while returning to that area, and allows shelters which are otherwise prohibited locations to decide whether to accommodate evacuees with firearms in their possession.

And

Senate Bill 772 by Sen. Bryan Hughes (R-Mineola) & Rep. Drew Springer (R-Muenster) provides civil liability protection to business establishments which choose not to post 30.06/30.07 signs, making them less vulnerable to frivolous lawsuits and giving them an incentive to adopt permissive policies for the carrying of handguns by law-abiding citizens on their premises.

I like those two!!
really surprised Hughes put his name on anything. He is our guy both as a rep and now as a senator. cant believe he keeps getting re-elected. he is special
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”