Federal Suppressor Ban proposed

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Federal Suppressor Ban proposed

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gun-sile ... 20119.html
Gun silencers like the one used in a recent lethal shooting in Virginia Beach would be banned under legislation that U.S. Sen. Bob Menendez of New Jersey introduced Friday.

The Democrat unveiled the legislation at news conference in Trenton alongside Democratic Trenton Mayor Reed Gusciora and representatives from the gun-control group Moms Demand Action.

"I'm not saying that any single piece of legislation can stop every single tragedy, but there's no question that gun safety laws can save lives," Menendez said.
We need an eye roll emoji, but for now this will do: :banghead:

Get ready to email and call your reps.

https://americansuppressorassociation.c ... ppressors/
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Federal Suppressor Ban proposed

Post by Pawpaw »

TexasJohnBoy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:51 am https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gun-sile ... 20119.html
Gun silencers like the one used in a recent lethal shooting in Virginia Beach would be banned under legislation that U.S. Sen. Bob Menendez of New Jersey introduced Friday.

The Democrat unveiled the legislation at news conference in Trenton alongside Democratic Trenton Mayor Reed Gusciora and representatives from the gun-control group Moms Demand Action.

"I'm not saying that any single piece of legislation can stop every single tragedy, but there's no question that gun safety laws can save lives," Menendez said.
We need an eye roll emoji, but for now this will do: :banghead:

Get ready to email and call your reps.

https://americansuppressorassociation.c ... ppressors/
We have one. :roll:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Pawpaw wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:12 am
We have one. :roll:
Coffee hadn’t kicked in yet... :leaving
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Other than voting intelligently, the only thing you can do to fight this is to challenge the antis with facts. I’ve shut people up on twitter by discussing decibel levels with hard data, demonstrating why the gun community calls them "suppressors" rather than "silencers". It’s also helpful to point out that, in many of the European countries which the antis like to hold up as having ideal gun laws, suppressors are sold over the counter with minimal regulation for a tenth of the cost we pay here, and they are regarded as just plain good manners.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:18 am It’s also helpful to point out that, in many of the European countries which the antis like to hold up as having ideal gun laws, suppressors are sold over the counter with minimal regulation for a tenth of the cost we pay here, and they are regarded as just plain good manners.
But how much restriction is on the guns they fit on? Can most people even buy a hand gun in many eurozone countries?

03Lightningrocks

My point was that a suppressor with no gun to put it on is worthless. There is no reason to restrict them since they are basically just a paper weight. I dunno. Just thinking out loud.

The Annoyed Man

My point was as Andy stated. It’s true that, without a gun, a suppressor is useless; but I’m not counting on an anti to make that connection because they "know darn well" that European gov’ts thought guns were dangerous and seriously restricted them, and they’d do the same if they thought suppressors were dangerous. They obviously don’t think they’re dangerous, and they understand good manners.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

03Lightningrocks

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:17 pm My point was as Andy stated. It’s true that, without a gun, a suppressor is useless; but I’m not counting on an anti to make that connection because they "know darn well" that European gov’ts thought guns were dangerous and seriously restricted them, and they’d do the same if they thought suppressors were dangerous. They obviously don’t think they’re dangerous, and they understand good manners.
After yours and Andy's post I decided to do some googling. I was amazed that in Europe a suppressor is actually considered polite. For those that do have firearms for hunting and such, a suppressor is a recommended accessory.

I understand your point better now.

The Annoyed Man

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:10 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:17 pm My point was as Andy stated. It’s true that, without a gun, a suppressor is useless; but I’m not counting on an anti to make that connection because they "know darn well" that European gov’ts thought guns were dangerous and seriously restricted them, and they’d do the same if they thought suppressors were dangerous. They obviously don’t think they’re dangerous, and they understand good manners.
After yours and Andy's post I decided to do some googling. I was amazed that in Europe a suppressor is actually considered polite. For those that do have firearms for hunting and such, a suppressor is a recommended accessory.

I understand your point better now.
:thumbs2:

i would definitely recommend one for hunting. Outside the confines of a shooting range, even an outdoor shooting range, for a shooter who is behind the rifle, you can get away without ear pro for a limited number of shots. In this video, I'm shooting my SCAR 17S (which is a notoriously LOUD rifle) with a form 1 can on it, and I'm not wearing any ear pro. Now, IRL, it was louder than in this video, but not by much:

#TINVOWOOT

03Lightningrocks

Wow! That does make a difference.

The Annoyed Man

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:04 pm Wow! That does make a difference.
Exactly! With the hearing loss I've suffered over the years from decades of playing amplified guitars on stage, and decades of shooting guns, I'm very protective of my hearing now. Suppressors make a HUGE difference in the enjoyment of the sport....and not just for me, but for the people on either side of me at the range.

I keep 3 firearms in a ready state for home defense. One is a shotgun, for "crowd" work. One is a SBR AR15 for "perimeter defense". But my primary home defense weapon is a Glock 17, loaded with 147 grain subsonics, and sporting a suppressor. That pistol/ammo/suppressor combination is about as close to hearing safe as you can get, and if I have to discharge a firearm inside the house, that's the setup I want. The SBR is suppressed too, by the way. It would still be too loud for comfort inside the house, loaded with standard supersonic ammo; but outdoors it's no more uncomfortably loud than that SCAR 17S in the video I posted, as long as you're standing behind the gun.

#TINVOWOOT

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Wow! That sounds more like a nail gun like roofers use, than a rifle report! :shock:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

snorri

Post by snorri »

joe817 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:26 am Wow! That sounds more like a nail gun like roofers use, than a rifle report! :shock:
That's what they said about the Virginia Beach killings last month.
minatur innocentibus qui parcit nocentibus

RED FLAG LAWS ARE HATE CRIMES

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”