Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick attacks NRA and Supports expanded background checks

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Scott Farkus
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick attacks NRA and Supports expanded background checks

Post by Scott Farkus »

This will turn Texas blue, and if Trump falls for it at the national level he and the national GOP are done, too.

Sorry, this is the breaking point for me. I've tolerated the decades of equivocation on open carry, constitutional carry, and many other things because I realized the alternative was this. Now the GOP is this and there is no longer any reason to put up with the perpetual broken promises and intentionally missed opportunities.

I'm out.

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:11 pm
Dan Patrick wrote: Then the gun can be exchanged and the deal is closed. This is NOT a ban on private gun sales and this change in the law will NOT lead to a gun registry.
If you believe that, I have ocean front property to sell you in Arizona.
This. A registry is the entire point. Not a single mass shooting other than maybe Odessa and we don't even know that for sure yet would have been prevented by a UBC. How does he not get this? I've heard him speak quite eloquently on gun rights. He seemed to get it. What changed? Why the sudden sell out? Does he think he's going to draw the anti's votes with this? Those people hate him with the heat of a white hot sun. This won't change that, it will only embolden them to demand more.

How does he not see this? What is going on?

cirus
Posts in topic: 9

Post by cirus »

Scott Farkus wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:58 am
Papa_Tiger wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:11 pm
Dan Patrick wrote: Then the gun can be exchanged and the deal is closed. This is NOT a ban on private gun sales and this change in the law will NOT lead to a gun registry.
If you believe that, I have ocean front property to sell you in Arizona.
This. A registry is the entire point. Not a single mass shooting other than maybe Odessa and we don't even know that for sure yet would have been prevented by a UBC. How does he not get this? I've heard him speak quite eloquently on gun rights. He seemed to get it. What changed? Why the sudden sell out? Does he think he's going to draw the anti's votes with this? Those people hate him with the heat of a white hot sun. This won't change that, it will only embolden them to demand more.

How does he not see this? What is going on?
Money and votes. That's what changed. I don't even get upset anymore when one of them turns. I've come to expect it.

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

I hear you but man, Patrick had always struck me as one of the hard core good guys. He relished getting in the faces of the left and calling out their nonsense. I don't get this one.

Abbott seems to be waffling too.

This is real bad. I swallowed hard on the bump stock ban but you can't rationalize this one away. This is the final straw.
Last edited by Scott Farkus on Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

cirus

Post by cirus »

He's in a different social and economic class than us. He's not the same as you and me. He doesn't live in our world.

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:28 pm Mayor of Forth Worth is in DC right now, lobbying for expanded background checks and red flag laws. She’s trumpeting that ripe old cheese that 72% of Texas gun owners want this. And she’s GOP, all the way.
Assuming 72% is correct, what percentage of the people polled think you can walk into Walmart, plop you money down on the counter, and walk out with the gun of you choice?
Charlie

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

I'm watching an interview with the Fort Worth mayor on Fox4 DFW this morning. She just said a UBC would help identify who's got them (guns).
Charlie

DEB

Post by DEB »

I guess go ahead and not vote, back plumb out of the process. Yep, Texas will turn blue and you think you have problems now? Get some folks in the primaries, vote out Dan Patrick, but stay in the game. Or, don't complain, when we become Valenzuela light. I know it won't happen right off, first we become California, then New Jersey and on and on, until finally we are at the end. Like being a Christian, without too much trouble? That will be stopped. Like carrying a pistol for your self protection? Yep, come to a stop as well. All because one is hurt that those, who we never trusted fully anyhow, turned out to be a snake? It is better to keep the line, then to just give up and think you can just sit out somewhere without troubles. Troubles are coming and in spades and it ain't going to be like one of those survival movies or books. I don't believe the Communists allow one to just sit it out. They require you to make a public decision. Got to make those meetings and call out your neighbors. Got to accept what you don't believe in, or lose your job and livlihood. For those who have retired, you will be under the gun as well. When government controls everything, they really control everything. Fight, but fight logically. Don't hide out, don't vote 3rd party, get on the ball, the best you can. I am also very angry, but I ain't going to get my ball and go home. I am going to continue to do the best I can. I am going to go to Church, I am not going to accept deviancy, I am going to carry a firearm, I am going to do all I can to make my voice heard. I am going to remain a Republican, because that is the only choice that I see I have. All of those 3rd party folks? Not only do they not have a chance, but you think they are going to be different? Politicians tend to be snakes, no matter what. Keep the rattlers we can at least talk to or change the strike. Stay in the fight or not, your choice. As for me, I see that I have got but two choices throughout life; Communist or Republican, Pro-life or not, Gun carrier or not, Christian or not, Texan or not, and etc. At least I can say, I am a Texan and I tried. :fire
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

TxRVer wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:11 am I'm watching an interview with the Fort Worth mayor on Fox4 DFW this morning. She just said a UBC would help identify who's got them (guns).
Hmmm... sounds an awful lot like a registry to me.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

DEB wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:16 am I guess go ahead and not vote, back plumb out of the process. Yep, Texas will turn blue and you think you have problems now? Get some folks in the primaries, vote out Dan Patrick, but stay in the game. Or, don't complain, when we become Valenzuela light. I know it won't happen right off, first we become California, then New Jersey and on and on, until finally we are at the end. Like being a Christian, without too much trouble? That will be stopped. Like carrying a pistol for your self protection? Yep, come to a stop as well. All because one is hurt that those, who we never trusted fully anyhow, turned out to be a snake? It is better to keep the line, then to just give up and think you can just sit out somewhere without troubles. Troubles are coming and in spades and it ain't going to be like one of those survival movies or books. I don't believe the Communists allow one to just sit it out. They require you to make a public decision. Got to make those meetings and call out your neighbors. Got to accept what you don't believe in, or lose your job and livlihood. For those who have retired, you will be under the gun as well. When government controls everything, they really control everything. Fight, but fight logically. Don't hide out, don't vote 3rd party, get on the ball, the best you can. I am also very angry, but I ain't going to get my ball and go home. I am going to continue to do the best I can. I am going to go to Church, I am not going to accept deviancy, I am going to carry a firearm, I am going to do all I can to make my voice heard. I am going to remain a Republican, because that is the only choice that I see I have. All of those 3rd party folks? Not only do they not have a chance, but you think they are going to be different? Politicians tend to be snakes, no matter what. Keep the rattlers we can at least talk to or change the strike. Stay in the fight or not, your choice. As for me, I see that I have got but two choices throughout life; Communist or Republican, Pro-life or not, Gun carrier or not, Christian or not, Texan or not, and etc. At least I can say, I am a Texan and I tried. :fire
Voting got us where we are today.

TINVOWOOT
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

anygunanywhere wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:30 am
DEB wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:16 am I guess go ahead and not vote, back plumb out of the process. Yep, Texas will turn blue and you think you have problems now? Get some folks in the primaries, vote out Dan Patrick, but stay in the game. Or, don't complain, when we become Valenzuela light. I know it won't happen right off, first we become California, then New Jersey and on and on, until finally we are at the end. Like being a Christian, without too much trouble? That will be stopped. Like carrying a pistol for your self protection? Yep, come to a stop as well. All because one is hurt that those, who we never trusted fully anyhow, turned out to be a snake? It is better to keep the line, then to just give up and think you can just sit out somewhere without troubles. Troubles are coming and in spades and it ain't going to be like one of those survival movies or books. I don't believe the Communists allow one to just sit it out. They require you to make a public decision. Got to make those meetings and call out your neighbors. Got to accept what you don't believe in, or lose your job and livlihood. For those who have retired, you will be under the gun as well. When government controls everything, they really control everything. Fight, but fight logically. Don't hide out, don't vote 3rd party, get on the ball, the best you can. I am also very angry, but I ain't going to get my ball and go home. I am going to continue to do the best I can. I am going to go to Church, I am not going to accept deviancy, I am going to carry a firearm, I am going to do all I can to make my voice heard. I am going to remain a Republican, because that is the only choice that I see I have. All of those 3rd party folks? Not only do they not have a chance, but you think they are going to be different? Politicians tend to be snakes, no matter what. Keep the rattlers we can at least talk to or change the strike. Stay in the fight or not, your choice. As for me, I see that I have got but two choices throughout life; Communist or Republican, Pro-life or not, Gun carrier or not, Christian or not, Texan or not, and etc. At least I can say, I am a Texan and I tried. :fire
Voting got us where we are today.

TINVOWOOT
What is the definition of insanity? Oh, right - performing the same action over and over and expecting to get a different result. I will do everything in my power to primary out Dan Patrick if he continues on this reckless and feckless course. If he is the "Republican" candidate, I will vote for someone who more closely represents my viewpoints. If a person is too stupid to see that they have alienated a good portion of their base because of their actions, they do not deserve to be in office because they have stopped representing their constituents.

You talk about rattlers... Once bitten, twice shy comes to mind. I cannot in good conscience support someone who would undermine our GOD GIVEN rights for the sake of political points or expediency, just so he can keep a job.

You know what I see when I see when I read Revelation and Romans? It gets a heck of a lot worse before it gets better. Maranatha!

jason812
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jason812 »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:04 am
What is the definition of insanity? Oh, right - performing the same action over and over and expecting to get a different result. I will do everything in my power to primary out Dan Patrick if he continues on this reckless and feckless course. If he is the "Republican" candidate, I will vote for someone who more closely represents my viewpoints. If a person is too stupid to see that they have alienated a good portion of their base because of their actions, they do not deserve to be in office because they have stopped representing their constituents.

You talk about rattlers... Once bitten, twice shy comes to mind. I cannot in good conscience support someone who would undermine our GOD GIVEN rights for the sake of political points or expediency, just so he can keep a job.

You know what I see when I see when I read Revelation and Romans? It gets a heck of a lot worse before it gets better. Maranatha!
:iagree:

By holding your nose and voting for him only because he is a Republican justifies his stance and makes Patrick believe he has the voters behind him. The Republicans need a slap in the face (politically). I don't know what will wake them up, the TEA party movement didn't open their eyes, handing them back the House didn't open their eyes, and Trump winning didn't either. I think the Republican party relies on getting votes only because they are not Democrats, they are out of touch with reality.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I believe the real issue is that Republican or Democrat, many these politicians are ultimately elitist who are in reality not fans of the people. They are fans of themselves. They all get armed security so self defense is not really their concern. Their main concern is to keep their power and wealth. Unfortunately this means that many of them will ride the momentum if it helps them to secure their position of power in the end. All they really ever needed was an excuse and possible permission to weaken the average persons ability to take away what the elitist power structure values most, the ability to make the rules. Unfortunately fear, on the heals of mass shootings, and lack of foresight by people to understand what losing the ability to resist authoritarian rule means in the end, has helped pave the way for many of them to do what is in their own best interest.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

The problem will be the good people who just believe what they hear.

I had a meeting yesterday with a man who likes to target shoot and owns a couple of handguns. After we took care of what we met for we started talking about all the news on guns lately. He doesn’t have a LTC, but he was under the impression that if bought a firearm at any gun show there was no background check. After explaining the law for less than one minute he said, “then there is no “gun show loop hole.” BINGO.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Sounds like way too many folks messing around, one way or another. It's going to end up with Texas turning into California East, and I'm going to be forced to pull back across the Red River and live with them Okies. :grumble

EDITED TO ADD:

And if I do, I'm going to tell everyone I'm a refugee!

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”