Nov 5 2019 Elections-issues important to firearms owners?

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Grayling813
Posts in topic: 1

Nov 5 2019 Elections-issues important to firearms owners?

Post by Grayling813 »

Are there any state wide elections tomorrow that we as firearms owners should be rallying around?

Any elections that freedom loving Texans in general should support OR oppose?

joe817

Re: Nov 5 2019 Elections-issues important to firearms owners?

Post by joe817 »

Yes, definitely. Among the 15 or so items up for voting, IMO the most important one is to vote yes, for the continued prohibition of a State Income Tax. We've never had one, and I don't see the need for one. But read carefully. It's worded strangely.

Another, though not impacting me directly, or very few on this board, but I consider important, is the allowing of retired service dogs to .assigned a "care giver". I interpret this as meaning, for example, a retiring K-9 Officer, be given to his partner/handler. I think that's awesome.

Those are the only one's that jump out at me, as a statewide election. Most of the others were for local school districts, county junior college districts, etc.

We voted early last Friday, and there were only 2 people in front of us signing in. Very quick. I did not like the paper ballots though. Seemed like taking a step backwards.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

+1 on prohibiting state income tax, and on allowing service dogs to be adopted instead of sold. The ballot I had only had 10 items. I had researched the proposals on League of Women Voters and a few other sites. The general consensus between them was that most of the other issues were already funded in some way shape or form.....
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by powerboatr »

parks department funding from sales of outdoor related "stuff", I am being general. is a yes

NO to state income tax and yes the wording is easy to get confused and vote yes by accident. SO i figure some clown wanting the tax wrote it.
cant believe the SOS allowed the horrible wording. cant believe it even was on the ballot. its like it just popped up

the service dogs and all service animals is a no brainier. I despised how they treated retired service animals as "EXCESS" property. i say animals becasue it also includes horses and other animals used by leo. but retired animals should be allowed to remain with the ones who they know.

we voted early last week, no waiting and used the digital tablet things, got scolded by election monitor because wife asked for my cheat sheet. We were the only ones in the room except for the voting officials.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

MP(Ret)95B

Post by MP(Ret)95B »

A personal item here:
Proposition 6 (Additional funding for Cancer Research)....please vote YES.
I have prostate cancer and we need all the research we can get to find more treatments and.....hopefully...someday a cure.

Thank you.
:patriot: MP(Retired)95B :txflag:
Last edited by MP(Ret)95B on Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b4aftr

Post by b4aftr »

powerboatr wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:52 pm
NO to state income tax and yes the wording is easy to get confused and vote yes by accident. SO i figure some clown wanting the tax wrote it.
cant believe the SOS allowed the horrible wording. cant believe it even was on the ballot. its like it just popped up.
You sure? Thought a yes meant to keep texas from an income tax....meaning we would have a prohibition from state income tax

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

b4aftr wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:23 pm
cant believe the SOS allowed the horrible wording. cant believe it even was on the ballot. its like it just popped up.
You sure? Thought a yes meant to keep texas from an income tax....meaning we would have a prohibition from state income tax
The amendment was to expressly forbid an income tax. So a vote of YES meant you wanted the amendment (no income tax), a vote of NO meant you didn't want the amendment (not a guarantee of income tax, but leaves it on the table).
NRA Benefactor Member

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

This is the text on the ballot: “The constitutional amendment prohibiting the imposition of an individual income tax, including a tax on an individual’s share of partnership and unincorporated association income.”

The options are For and Against.

For means you are for an amendment prohibiting the imposition of income tax.

A vote against is against the prohibition (in other words a vote against this amendment leaves open the income tax option).

Here is a link to the ballot:
https://www.sos.texas.gov/elections/for ... mber-5.pdf

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

STATE OF TEXAS
PROPOSITION 4
"The constitutional amendment prohibiting the
imposition of an individual income tax,
including a tax on an individual's share of
partnership and unincorporated association
income."
PROPUESTA NUMERO 4
DEL ESTADO DE TEXAS
"Enmienda constitucional que prohíbe la
imposición de un impuesto sobre la renta
individual, incluido un impuesto sobre los
ingresos de una persona participante en una
sociedad o en una asociación no
incorporada."
FOR
A FAVOR
AGAINST
EN CONTRA
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

strogg

Post by strogg »

If you're registered to vote, definitely do so tomorrow. Never leave an election to waste. Just make sure you know what you're voting for.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

In addition to the amendment prohibiting state income tax, this amendment is pretty important for those who like to hunt and fish.

"The constitutional amendment dedicating the
revenue received from the existing state sales
and use taxes that are imposed on sporting
goods to the Texas Parks and Wildlife
Department and the Texas Historical
Commission to protect Texas’ natural areas,
water quality, and history by acquiring,
managing, and improving state and local parks
and historic sites while not increasing the rate of
the state sales and use taxes."

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by powerboatr »

b4aftr wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:23 pm
oh i see what i did. i meant a YES vote would say NO to income tax...t
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”