Loss of gun rights and what can be done after.

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
SickSilverado
Posts in topic: 4

Loss of gun rights and what can be done after.

Post by SickSilverado »

A guy here crossed the line with the law. He was completely wrong in his actions and then resisted arrest. I'm pretty sure he's gonna be charged with some big stuff. He has lots of guns besides the weapon he used during the crime(which cops didn't confiscate). At this point what are his options besides selling them before the cops get the guns? Can he transfer them to an FFL and have them transferred to a family member later rather than turn them over to police? I know the weapon used has to be confiscated.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Loss of gun rights and what can be done after.

Post by Tex1961 »

:confused5

Umm, gonna need a bit more information.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

I'd say that [for a variety of reasons] he needs an attorney asap.

madwildcat

Post by madwildcat »

Seems like a good question for his attorney to answer.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

That is quite the question. In general, if he committed a felony and knows he is about to be convicted, his only option is to sell all his firearms before his conviction sets in. A felon cannot be in possession of a firearm. There is no law I know of forbidding him from selling all of them. I suppose he can give them away as well if he chooses. A felony conviction results in a lifetime ban on firearm possession as far as I know.

You don't say what he did but if it was a firearm related crime, he could do jail time. His lawyer is the best person to consult. The internet forum has some knowledgeable folks but it is no substitute for his personal attorney.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

SickSilverado wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:39 pm A guy here crossed the line with the law. He was completely wrong in his actions and then resisted arrest. I'm pretty sure he's gonna be charged with some big stuff. He has lots of guns besides the weapon he used during the crime(which cops didn't confiscate). At this point what are his options besides selling them before the cops get the guns? Can he transfer them to an FFL and have them transferred to a family member later rather than turn them over to police? I know the weapon used has to be confiscated.
Contact an attorney for consultation as soon as possible. Any family in TX that you can give your guns over (now..not later) to until your legal issue is resolved? If they are close by maybe have them stop by and take ownership.

03Lightningrocks

Something I thought I would bring up. In Texas a first time offender can sometimes get a deferred adjudication. They may not offer it for a violent offense. But a deferred would allow him to keep his firearms and avoid a felony conviction as long as he completes the deferred time frame properly.

Topic author
SickSilverado

Post by SickSilverado »

The guy himself was caught shooting up in the air within city limits. They had children out there with no hearing protection. Neighbors across the street reported shots going over the RV park. The guy resisted for 20+ minutes. Family insulted the officers and refused to cooperate with the officers(they even recorded it). Last I heard CPS was called to investigate. I don't think any of the adults will have gun rights after this. There was atleast 1 felon living there during the incident. Was just wondering what had to be done about the guns since they will probably all be felons after this and whatever else may be found out.

03Lightningrocks

SickSilverado wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:45 pm The guy himself was caught shooting up in the air within city limits. They had children out there with no hearing protection. Neighbors across the street reported shots going over the RV park. The guy resisted for 20+ minutes. Family insulted the officers and refused to cooperate with the officers(they even recorded it). Last I heard CPS was called to investigate. I don't think any of the adults will have gun rights after this. There was atleast 1 felon living there during the incident. Was just wondering what had to be done about the guns since they will probably all be felons after this and whatever else may be found out.
My gosh! This guy really doesn't need a gun. It sounds like he needs to be in jail.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

Sounds like he should sell them all this weekend to help pay his upcoming legal bills.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

flechero wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:41 pm Sounds like he should sell them all this weekend to help pay his upcoming legal bills.
:iagree:

Sell or give them away to a (non-felon) family member / friend.

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

Can you provide a list of guns available? Asking for a friend.
Charlie

03Lightningrocks

TxRVer wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:40 am Can you provide a list of guns available? Asking for a friend.
:smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:

Topic author
SickSilverado

Post by SickSilverado »

I believe there were lots of ARs and AKs. I'd ask the guy about it but he's not exactly the "friendly" type. Was just wondering if an FFL would be an option if he could no longer be in possession of guns. I'd assume the police would confiscate them all since there will be multiple felons and the children were put in danger(according to an inside source).

03Lightningrocks

SickSilverado wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:43 am I believe there were lots of ARs and AKs. I'd ask the guy about it but he's not exactly the "friendly" type. Was just wondering if an FFL would be an option if he could no longer be in possession of guns. I'd assume the police would confiscate them all since there will be multiple felons and the children were put in danger(according to an inside source).
I am not so sure they can confiscate guns not involved in the actual offense. After he is convicted of a felony they could arrest him if he is still in possession of them. Then they will confiscate them all as evidence.

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”