Texas Senator Springer

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Texas Senator Springer

Post by Jusme »

Senator Drew Springer, From District 30 (not my district) has filed several bills this sessio, in defense of the 2A in Texas.

Here is his Senate home page, with a list of bills he has filed:https://www.senate.texas.gov/member.php?d=30

Please encourage your State Senators, and House Representatives to get behind these bills. :txflag:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

chasfm11

Re: Texas Senator Springer

Post by chasfm11 »

Perhaps it is just me but I view these bills as eye candy - great to look at but lacking in substance. Even if the Senate passes them unanimously, they will live or die based on which House committee to which they are assigned. If Speaker Phalen assigns them to a Democratic lead committee, it is the same as putting a stake through the heart of each of the affected bills - they will NEVER see the light of day on a House floor vote. The power brokers in Austin has been playing this game for the past four sessions.

Senator Springer was re-elected by a coalition of Democrats who were encouraged to vote for him. He will have to appease them and these bills are the exact opposite of that. I expect that he has communicated to those backers that these bills have no chance. It is possible that he is seeking redemption for cuddling up to Democrats including Black Lives Matter in order to stay in power. But after his campaign, I have zero confidence in anything that he does. I'll humbly eat my words in June if this turns out different than I expect.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Topic author
Jusme

Post by Jusme »

chasfm11 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:46 am Perhaps it is just me but I view these bills as eye candy - great to look at but lacking in substance. Even if the Senate passes them unanimously, they will live or die based on which House committee to which they are assigned. If Speaker Phalen assigns them to a Democratic lead committee, it is the same as putting a stake through the heart of each of the affected bills - they will NEVER see the light of day on a House floor vote. The power brokers in Austin has been playing this game for the past four sessions.

Senator Springer was re-elected by a coalition of Democrats who were encouraged to vote for him. He will have to appease them and these bills are the exact opposite of that. I expect that he has communicated to those backers that these bills have no chance. It is possible that he is seeking redemption for cuddling up to Democrats including Black Lives Matter in order to stay in power. But after his campaign, I have zero confidence in anything that he does. I'll humbly eat my words in June if this turns out different than I expect.

I am not familiar with Springer's voting record, nor what Democrats he swayed to vote for him. But, for what it's worth he does have an A+ rating from the NRA:https://prattontexas.com/2020/09/23/nra ... r-in-sd30/

I also have serious doubts that if this gets to a Democrat run committee, that it will move forward, but I am pushing my Senator, and Rep, to get on board. There is absolutely no reason that LTC holders, cannot carry everywhere, LEO even retired LEO from other States, can do so. JMHO

Other bills filed by Springer include, a 2A Sancuary bill, a removal of the words, "belt or shoulder" from the OC act. etc.

Here is a complete list of bills he has filed regarding the 2A. If he is truly pandering to BLM, and progressives, he's not very good at it. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I'm not claiming that the list of bills the Springer filed is aimed at paying back his BLM supporters. I believe that he filed them as cover for that , saying "I really am a good guy after all." If he were really serious about them, the blowback from the people who got him elected would be mountainous. Perhaps I've grown too cynical but I think of Springer were serious, he'd have a couple of Texas House members lined up to support those bills. He knows how the process works better than I do and I at least know that both houses have to pass things in order to get them to the Governor's desk.

My impatience grows with the political theater. IMHO, too many of Republicans play that game. I know for a fact the Springer would not sign on to the Constitutional Carry push during the last session. Further, in my opinion, if he and a few others had really put the heat on for that support, they could have pressured Bonnen.

If he is really a "good guy", he needs to build the support among his colleagues to get these bills that he filed to the House and Senate floors. We've had lots of good 2nd Amendment bills filled and the vast majority are DOA.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 1

Post by crazy2medic »

In the last runoff I voted for Shelley Luther, Drew Springer was too resistant to Constitutional Carry for my liking!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”