And again car comparison oh so wrong

There is seemingly no end to the extent to which anti-gun people and groups will lie about guns and gun owners. Post links to articles by these masters of prevarication here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bobby
Posts in topic: 3

And again car comparison oh so wrong

Post by bobby »

The well you have to have a license and insurance to have a car. Oh and title inspection plus Health checks to have a car let’s treat guns like cars.

Ok I can build a race car the can go as fast as I want with not title, insurance, inspection, registration or any of that unless I drive it on public roads. Or I can buy the same plus be 12 years old or 5 no restrictions on age.

Ok by car rules I can own and shoot any firearm at all no restrictions as long as I don’t carry it in public. I can transport it to a shooting facility or private land just like using a trailer for a race car. Ok I’m for it.
:txflag:

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: And again car comparison oh so wrong

Post by flechero »

And then I could finally get a Tommy gun! :fire

Topic author
bobby

Post by bobby »

A Kulsprutepistol m/45 for me please

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

Just speaking from the perspective of a racecar driver/owner here (and I totally get your comparison, please don't think I'm knocking you, because I most certainly am not!)...most race tracks (of any decent reputation) will not let you on track without a car inspection. Race sanctioning bodies (SCCA, Trans Am, NASCAR, IMSA, F1, etc) require annual safety inspections of both car / safety equipment and then there's more: in Trans Am, much like NASCAR, the car has to go through Tech every race weekend *before* you get on track - that is more about ride height, wheelbase, wing angle, body template, etc. than safety - to make sure that you are in spec. And there there's the annual check of driver safety gear. Just wanted to give you that perspective. I deal with it all the time both as a driver/owner (fortunately I have a GREAT crew - they keep everything in check / spec!) and as an instructor. :tiphat: Now if you take your car to the Salt Flats and decide to let 'er rip...well, then I guess that's all on you! :biggrinjester:

Topic author
bobby

Post by bobby »

Yep and that is private not people who will lock you up for the rest of your life. Because you didn’t follow their rules. You just can’t drive on their track is all.

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

Yep! So, Bobby - that is probably why I like off-road vehicles so much (SxS / RZRs etc)...just go and play!! :tiphat: :cheers2:

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

flechero wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:42 am And then I could finally get a Tommy gun! :fire
Plenty of them available if you happen to have a spare $50,000 or %60,000 laying around:

https://www.westernfirearms.com/wfc/thompson?sz=800x600
Steve Rothstein

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Whenever someone brings this up, I ask them why they want to get rid of all background checks for gun purchases, and are they really OK with no age restrictions on the purchase of any gun, plus my ability to have any gun I want with zero regulation as long as I keep it at my house, and a readily available license (that is not restricted by the government) if I want to use my guns off my property.

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

srothstein wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:03 pm
flechero wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:42 am And then I could finally get a Tommy gun! :fire
Plenty of them available if you happen to have a spare $50,000 or %60,000 laying around:

Nick has an AMAZING collection of Tommy's!! I bought my first SMG from him back in '96 or so, he lived right down the street from my old place, he still does I think...quite a collection! Wishing I would've bought MORE...but I was just out of college and the $650 I spent on my M11-9mm seemed STEEP at the time! :biggrinjester:

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Does Nick still have his "Thompson Museum" in Grapevine? When I bought a machinegun from him (19 years ago) he must have had about 100 transferrable Thompsons in a bank vault size gun safe. :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

PUCKER wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:27 pm

Nick has an AMAZING collection of Tommy's!! I bought my first SMG from him back in '96 or so, he lived right down the street from my old place, he still does I think...quite a collection! Wishing I would've bought MORE...but I was just out of college and the $650 I spent on my M11-9mm seemed STEEP at the time! :biggrinjester:
I bought a M10/9 and silencer from him in 2002, but they had gone up to $2600 by then. Plus $400 for the two stamps.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Acronym Esq

Post by Acronym Esq »

PUCKER wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:39 am Just speaking from the perspective of a racecar driver/owner here (and I totally get your comparison, please don't think I'm knocking you, because I most certainly am not!)...most race tracks (of any decent reputation) will not let you on track without a car inspection. Race sanctioning bodies (SCCA, Trans Am, NASCAR, IMSA, F1, etc) require annual safety inspections of both car / safety equipment and then there's more: in Trans Am, much like NASCAR, the car has to go through Tech every race weekend *before* you get on track - that is more about ride height, wheelbase, wing angle, body template, etc. than safety - to make sure that you are in spec.
Sounds like all that focus on regulation and inspections is to enforce safety and sport rule compliance. The presumption is that if you use your car correctly no one should get hurt. If an accident should happen, they want to minimize the injuries. Also, people shouldn't have an unfair advantage.

I don't think much of that applies to gun fights. When used correctly, the gun is supposed to cause the fear of injury and actual damage. There are plenty of guidelines for gun fights, but the rules are pretty slim like imminence, proportionality, reasonableness, etc. Month long background checks and bans on scary accessories can't prevent future misuse.

The comparison of cars vs guns misses the critical distinction of purpose and intent. The podcast Guns Guide to Liberals episode 1 (starts at minute 39) takes a good stab at making this argument.

acronym 3/31/2021 9:29 AM

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

bobby wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:57 am The well you have to have a license and insurance to have a car. Oh and title inspection plus Health checks to have a car let’s treat guns like cars.

Ok I can build a race car the can go as fast as I want with not title, insurance, inspection, registration or any of that unless I drive it on public roads. Or I can buy the same plus be 12 years old or 5 no restrictions on age.

Ok by car rules I can own and shoot any firearm at all no restrictions as long as I don’t carry it in public. I can transport it to a shooting facility or private land just like using a trailer for a race car. Ok I’m for it.
I was hoping we could pass the VOID Act! Vehicle Owners ID Act. You need to get a permit to purchase a car, pass a universal background check with the FBI and DOT, eliminate high-capacity vehicles, and prove legal residence in the USA. Also, regulate modifications to vehicles that make them go faster. The VOID Act will enable the police to rescind peoples' VOID cards if they have just a single DWI and prevent them from owning vehicles, let alone driving vehicles. If it saves one child's life, it is worth it.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

OneGun wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:52 pm
bobby wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:57 am The well you have to have a license and insurance to have a car. Oh and title inspection plus Health checks to have a car let’s treat guns like cars.

I was hoping we could pass the VOID Act! Vehicle Owners ID Act. You need to get a permit to purchase a car, pass a universal background check with the FBI and DOT, eliminate high-capacity vehicles, and prove legal residence in the USA. Also, regulate modifications to vehicles that make them go faster. The VOID Act will enable the police to rescind peoples' VOID cards if they have just a single DWI and prevent them from owning vehicles, let alone driving vehicles. If it saves one child's life, it is worth it.
Don't forget that you'd also lose your VOID card if you miss a single child support payment.

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

OneGun wrote:
Out of curiosity, what would be a "high-capacity vehicle"?
Would it be a vehicle that could hold a lot of people?
Or would it be a vehicle with an extra large gas tank?

Return to “Anti-gun propaganda and other lies!”