Best Buy giving oral notice

There is seemingly no end to the extent to which anti-gun people and groups will lie about guns and gun owners. Post links to articles by these masters of prevarication here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
gtolbert09
Posts in topic: 2

Best Buy giving oral notice

Post by gtolbert09 »

https://www.texas3006.com/view.php?id=21142

Why don’t they just post the 3007 sign?
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Best Buy giving oral notice

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

gtolbert09 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:42 pm https://www.texas3006.com/view.php?id=21142

What I don't get is why folks who are all about freedom get bothered by others exercising their freedom to ask you to cover your firearm in their store. Just cover the darn thing up and continue on.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

I don’t understand why people carry after someone gives their preference in a so called “notice” and take the chance of loosing the privilege to carry concealed. I for one am not going to take that chance.

Topic author
gtolbert09
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gtolbert09 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:51 pm
gtolbert09 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:42 pm https://www.texas3006.com/view.php?id=21142

What I don't get is why folks who are all about freedom get bothered by others exercising their freedom to ask you to cover your firearm in their store. Just cover the darn thing up and continue on.
Because it slows my draw. Lol. I’ll just avoid Best Buy.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

Who exercised freedom? An employee? Best Buy management? What if another shopper asked you to cover your firearm, would you? They don’t want you there let them post so you don’t have to walk back to your car, switch to concealed or disarm. One doesn't always wear clothes that allow a cover up of an open carry. Yes they can legally give oral notice but the flunky at the door is not necessarily management and have the authority to give you notice. Think of all the flunkies at Whataburger that were not speaking for management. I posted what the flunky at the door of Sam's Club said and got berated about it. Management is responsible, not a door flunky.

03Lightningrocks

rotor wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:02 pm

Who exercised freedom? An employee? Best Buy management? What if another shopper asked you to cover your firearm, would you? They don’t want you there let them post so you don’t have to walk back to your car, switch to concealed or disarm. One doesn't always wear clothes that allow a cover up of an open carry. Yes they can legally give oral notice but the flunky at the door is not necessarily management and have the authority to give you notice. Think of all the flunkies at Whataburger that were not speaking for management. I posted what the flunky at the door of Sam's Club said and got berated about it. Management is responsible, not a door flunky.
Being asked to show your membership at the door of Sams, where they have done this for years, is not even in the same category as this. Your post of Sams was not a request to not carry or cover up. You had some flunky telling you that they were asking to see your membership because of the shooting down south which is just silly. Again, even then his comment or request to see your membership had zero to do with being asked about carrying, concealed or otherwise. There is zero relationship between the two.

rotor

Post by rotor »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:03 pm

Being asked to show your membership at the door of Sams, where they have done this for years, is not even in the same category as this. Your post of Sams was not a request to not carry or cover up. You had some flunky telling you that they were asking to see your membership because of the shooting down south which is just silly. Again, even then his comment or request to see your membership had zero to do with being asked about carrying, concealed or otherwise. There is zero relationship between the two.
I will again state that it has not been policy to show your id at the door at Sam's club for at least 5 years so stop making stuff up. Who has authority to give you permission to carry at a store? Management? Any employee? Before we had open carry management at a store could allow their employees to open carry in the store. Management decides if an employee can carry. The employee wasn't the one that made that decision, it is management or the store owner. My issue therefore is "authority". Who has the authority to tell you that you can or can not carry, and it is not the flunky at the door unless management has given that person authority. As with Whataburger, we saw that the paper or plastic guy making minimum wage was not the one with authority to tell LEO to get out. Only management or the owner and they may relegate authority but in this case I would want to converse with the store manager. I would probably "cover up" as requested and ask to speak to management for clarification. As the OP said though, put up an 07 if you don't want open carry. Life is simpler.

03Lightningrocks

rotor wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:17 pm

I will again state that it has not been policy to show your id at the door at Sam's club for at least 5 years so stop making stuff up. Who has authority to give you permission to carry at a store? Management? Any employee? Before we had open carry management at a store could allow their employees to open carry in the store. Management decides if an employee can carry. The employee wasn't the one that made that decision, it is management or the store owner. My issue therefore is "authority". Who has the authority to tell you that you can or can not carry, and it is not the flunky at the door unless management has given that person authority. As with Whataburger, we saw that the paper or plastic guy making minimum wage was not the one with authority to tell LEO to get out. Only management or the owner and they may relegate authority but in this case I would want to converse with the store manager. I would probably "cover up" as requested and ask to speak to management for clarification. As the OP said though, put up an 07 if you don't want open carry. Life is simpler.
First off, you have no way of knowing what the policy is, or has been at Sams clubs all over the country. Their written policy is to show membership if requested. Just two years ago, the last time I was in Sams club, they were asking to see memberships. But again. That had nothing to do with open carry and is off topic on this thread.

As for being verbally 30.07, unless the law says something different, any employee is a representative of the store and can make this request. You don't like it, ask to speak to the manager. But just the same, why act a fool over it? Just cover up or leave. Gun owners need to behave a bit better than antifa. If we all run around shoving our beliefs in their faces, they will get a negative attitude of us and we will lose in the end.

rotor

Post by rotor »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:26 pm
rotor wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:17 pm

First off, you have no way of knowing what the policy is, or has been at Sams clubs all over the country. Their written policy is to show membership if requested. Just two years ago, the last time I was in Sams club, they were asking to see memberships. But again. That had nothing to do with open carry and is off topic on this thread.

As for being verbally 30.07, unless the law says something different, any employee is a representative of the store and can make this request. You don't like it, ask to speak to the manager. But just the same, why act a fool over it? Just cover up or leave. Gun owners need to behave a bit better than antifa. If we all run around shoving our beliefs in their faces, they will get a negative attitude of us and we will lose in the end.
I said that I would probably cover up and ask to speak to management. The argument that gun owners need to suck up and be quiet though has gotten us exactly where we are now. I used to agree with that too. I have converted though and feel that gun owners need to not be panzies and learn to speak up for their rights. Sucking up has not worked very well. I have actually started to believe that we should all open carry all the time so the public would become acclimated to us. Antifa gets up on the stage and takes the microphone from Sanders. I don't like them but you have to respect their ability to influence the political cycle.

03Lightningrocks

rotor wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:36 pm I said that I would probably cover up and ask to speak to management. The argument that gun owners need to suck up and be quiet though has gotten us exactly where we are now. I used to agree with that too. I have converted though and feel that gun owners need to not be panzies and learn to speak up for their rights. Sucking up has not worked very well. I have actually started to believe that we should all open carry all the time so the public would become acclimated to us. Antifa gets up on the stage and takes the microphone from Sanders. I don't like them but you have to respect their ability to influence the political cycle.
I don't agree that following the law is the same as sucking it up or being panzies. It sounds like you would do as I suggested. Simply cover up and move on. By law, it is their right to request we cover up in their store. It is also their right to completely ban us carrying in their store. The key is the word "their" meaning ownership. Some decide not to shop at locations that do this and that too is a right we all have. I respect the rights of private ownership every bit as much as I do the RKBA. It is really no different than places having a dress code.

We do disagree on the results of "in your face" tactics such as everyone open carrying everywhere. I personally believe it would create more fear than it would acclimation. The 30.06 and 30.07 signs would start popping up faster than responses to a Donald Trump tweet. Who knows though. I could be wrong but it is just what I believe would happen.
Last edited by 03Lightningrocks on Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

rotor wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:36 pmAntifa gets up on the stage and takes the microphone from Sanders. I don't like them but you have to respect their ability to influence the political cycle.
Antifa has help from the MSM providing spin for them. Do you believe that the MSM would spin confrontational gun carriers in a positive light? or a negative one?
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

flechero

Post by flechero »

rotor wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:36 pm The argument that gun owners need to suck up and be quiet though has gotten us exactly where we are now.
That's exactly right! We can carry in the vast majority of places... as opposed to outdoor public spaces only. Want to see some real backlash? Start acting like the OCT types again in today's climate. :tiphat:

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

flechero wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:26 am
rotor wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:36 pm The argument that gun owners need to suck up and be quiet though has gotten us exactly where we are now.
That's exactly right! We can carry in the vast majority of places... as opposed to outdoor public spaces only. Want to see some real backlash? Start acting like the OCT types again in today's climate. :tiphat:
Interesting discussion. I OC when I can because I am of the desensitization/acclimation school of thought. Just to clarify I think we are all of a similar mindset that when we do talk about OC we are all suggesting carrying a pistol in holster and acting respectful and abiding by the law. In other words trying to be an ambassador for our fellow carrying peeps. I dont think anyone is suggesting acting like that unmentioned other group that thinks carrying a long arm into a restaurant slung at low ready is a "good" idea.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

The communists sure do like to read gun forums to enjoy us arguing with each other.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

03Lightningrocks

anygunanywhere wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:26 am The communists sure do like to read gun forums to enjoy us arguing with each other.
Arguing? On the contrary. They would observe those with like minded beliefs in the second amendment with different opinions on messaging. All having a civil discourse concerning these issues.

Return to “Anti-gun propaganda and other lies!”