Bloomberg campaign in TX

There is seemingly no end to the extent to which anti-gun people and groups will lie about guns and gun owners. Post links to articles by these masters of prevarication here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
striker55
Posts in topic: 2

Bloomberg campaign in TX

Post by striker55 »

Caught a news sound bite of Bloomberg saying something about 85% of NRA members agree we need a national background check for gun purchases. I'm I to assume anyone can buy a gun legally in TX without that call to the federal government? Is that not a background check? And in other states guns can be bought without a check? Someone enlighten me, please.

flechero
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Bloomberg campaign in TX

Post by flechero »

striker55 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:08 am Caught a news sound bite of Bloomberg saying something about 85% of NRA members agree we need a national background check for gun purchases. I'm I to assume anyone can buy a gun legally in TX without that call to the federal government? Is that not a background check? And in other states guns can be bought without a check? Someone enlighten me, please.
Lies and deception. 85% of bloomberg staffers, who were paid to lie for the "study"may have agreed on background checks, but not 85% of anyone else. :nono:

Every dealer must run a background check on every single gun sale, whether at a gunshow, on-line or brick & mortar. An individual however, can purchase a gun through private sale from another individual. The law allows this, it's not a loophole. The big caveat is that it puts the onus on the seller to be sure the buyer is legal to buy... and why many people only sell to LTC or friends. Or go to a FFL for the transfer.

Criminals aren't buying their guns at gunshows or from you and I, they are stealing them and/or buying from their accomplices. So any further burden on the law abiding is only a burden to the law abiding and a precursor to registration and eventual confiscation.

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by K.Mooneyham »

striker55 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:08 am Caught a news sound bite of Bloomberg saying something about 85% of NRA members agree we need a national background check for gun purchases. I'm I to assume anyone can buy a gun legally in TX without that call to the federal government? Is that not a background check? And in other states guns can be bought without a check? Someone enlighten me, please.
The problem is two-fold. One, what is the definition of a "background check"; there are several. Two, are they speaking of purchases of firearms from a licensed dealer, or the private sale between two individuals? People like Bloomberg really want to all but outlaw all firearms ownership. Since he and his minions know that is a goal too far, they settle for doing everything they can to cause problems for firearms owners, and those wishing to become firearms owners. They want the "background check" to be more difficult than getting a security clearance from the Federal government, and they want all sales, to include the property you already own, to go through a dealer and be subject to those overly-intrusive background checks.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

They are referring to the "gun show loophole"... sales between individuals do not require a background check. They are pushing for the universal background check, which would require all gun sales, even between private parties, to undergo the background check. Not sure how they plan to enforce that, but that is the push.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

flechero wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 am
Lies and deception. 85% of bloomberg staffers, who were paid to lie for the "study"may have agreed on background checks, but not 85% of anyone else. :nono:

Every dealer must run a background check on every single gun sale, whether at a gunshow, on-line or brick & mortar. An individual however, can purchase a gun through private sale from another individual. The law allows this, it's not a loophole. The big caveat is that it puts the onus on the seller to be sure the buyer is legal to buy... and why many people only sell to LTC or friends. Or go to a FFL for the transfer.

Criminals aren't buying their guns at gunshows or from you and I, they are stealing them and/or buying from their accomplices. So any further burden on the law abiding is only a burden to the law abiding and a precursor to registration and eventual confiscation.
Legally the onus on the seller is that we don't "knowingly" sell to a buyer that is unqualified to buy. Many of us hold to a higher standard and require more reassurance that the purchaser is qualified.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

flechero
Posts in topic: 4

Post by flechero »

yep, I know it but didn't write as such... (but that drove the LTC or friends/known person comment) :tiphat:

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

cyphertext wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:38 am They are referring to the "gun show loophole"... sales between individuals do not require a background check. They are pushing for the universal background check, which would require all gun sales, even between private parties, to undergo the background check. Not sure how they plan to enforce that, but that is the push.
The "gun show loophole" isn't. :banghead: It is a law that anti 2As don't like, SO, they gave it a scary sounding name and demonized
it because uninformed people (there are a quite a few) can be easily led by those willing to twist the truth and lie.

Deep breath

:txflag: :patriot:

Chaparral

Post by Chaparral »

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politic ... nd-checks/

Well, the Texas Lieutenant Governor supports Bloomberg’s position on universal background checks.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

So notable that these rabid background check Nazis never mention the Grand-Canyon-sized holes in the NICS database....
-Ruark

mayor

Post by mayor »

Chaparral wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:23 pm https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politic ... nd-checks/

Well, the Texas Lieutenant Governor supports Bloomberg’s position on universal background checks.
From the article: On Friday, he (i.e. Gov. Dan Patrick) issued an emphatic warning to fellow Republicans: "To survive and avert Democratic takeovers in Austin and Washington, they (Republican politicians) must act expeditiously on measures to reduce gun violence."

So, to prevent democrats from taking over Austin and Washington and gaining power, Republicans must become democrats?

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

While I see gun rights being a reason people vote republican, I don't see gun control causing many people to vote democrat. I'm pretty sure entitlements are the main bait. To me, Patrick's opinions about background checks and voter motivation are more evidence of politicians being isolated from the world in which most of us live and work.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Ya know, I don't think I have EVER heard anyone from the NRA organization encourage violence against ANYONE. I have seen them advocate talking to their elected officials to vote for or against specific pieces of legislation. She is correct though that no training or permit is required in order to carry long guns in Texas. That has been the case since the state was created, it's not new. :txflag:
Attachments
82241710_2754895264571147_5178983071457738752_o.jpg
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

dhoobler

Post by dhoobler »

BloombergLetter.pdf
(39.82 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
I really like the line:
- and if you like your insurance, you'll be able to keep it.
"rlol"
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Mel

Post by Mel »

dhoobler wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:51 am BloombergLetter.pdf

I really like the line:
- and if you like your insurance, you'll be able to keep it.
"rlol"
Wait.....Haven't I heard that somewhere before?
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Return to “Anti-gun propaganda and other lies!”