HB 49 - Kill Daylight Savings Time

This sub-forum will open on Sept. 1, 2018

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Skooter
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB 49 - Kill Daylight Savings Time

Post by Skooter »

Jusme wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:02 pm Move the clocks 30 minutes and forget it. JMHO
I agree :iagree:
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Skooter wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:38 am
Jusme wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:02 pm Move the clocks 30 minutes and forget it. JMHO
This would just create more havoc for prorammers and IT proffessionals.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

Liberty wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:19 am
Steady income stream. Think of Y2K.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

anygunanywhere wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:19 am
They already thought of that... it’s the year 2038 problem:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem
NRA lifetime member

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

KC5AV wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:58 am
anygunanywhere wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:19 am
They already thought of that... it’s the year 2038 problem:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem
We will all be dead and under water within 10 years anyways “they” say! :smilelol5:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

I don't have any complaint about changing the clock twice a year, it's not that onerous.

What I would NOT like to see is Texas doing something unique that sets it apart in a weird way from its' neighbors. I remember in the 70's when DST was initially introduced. A news service interviewed several folks around the country for their opinions. Most had an opinion, and valid reasons for holding that opinion. What struck me most however, was a man in a port city along the gulf coast who said it really messed them up. It seems ships were arriving at wrong times because ships at sea didn't necessarily realize that the United States had changed the time. I could see that as a negative if we were to be different. I would REALLY be opposed to a 30 minute shift. Thankfully that doesn't seem to be under consideration.

I lived in Arizona for a few years, and until then I wondered why they were opposed to DST. After living there I found out. Arizona is tucked at the far west side of the Mountain Time Zone and even without DST the sun sets pretty late in the day. In the desert, the last thing those folks need is another hour of daylight! Here, I find it's not so bad. I'm happy the way things are.

Your Mileage May Vary. I Am Not A Lawyer. May the Force Be With You. Void Where Prohibited. Do Not Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate. Batteries Not Included. Subject To Change Without Notice. I Didn't Do It, Nobody Saw Me, Can't Prove Anything!
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

jason812
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jason812 »

der Teufel wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:36 pm

I lived in Arizona for a few years, and until then I wondered why they were opposed to DST. After living there I found out. Arizona is tucked at the far west side of the Mountain Time Zone and even without DST the sun sets pretty late in the day. In the desert, the last thing those folks need is another hour of daylight! Here, I find it's not so bad. I'm happy the way things are.
Umm... they get the same amount of daylight no matter what the clock says :biggrinjester:
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

I hate giving back an hour. We should just keep moving the clock back.

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

jason812 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:43 pm

Umm... they get the same amount of daylight no matter what the clock says :biggrinjester:
Ha! Word of the day is … pedantic! :lol::

But, I should have said another hour of daylight in the evening!
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

der Teufel wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:03 pm

Mobile Alabama is in the East side of CDT. Van Horn Texas is in the West side. Sunrise and sunset is one hour and 7 minutes earlier in Mobile than Van Horn.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

jason812
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jason812 »

It's a good quality to have in boring unneeded meetings to drive management nuts. Or to just be a smart donkey.

I practiced daylight saving time at my old job. When the clocks rolled back, I went in earlier to have daylight when I got home.

The whole concept should prove how ridiculous government is.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

the only thing a golfer needs is more daylight! whatever we call what we're in now needs to be all year long!

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

It is sad that Bonnen was able to torpedo all pro 2A legislation to the point that the only legislation we have to discuss on this board is legislation that determines whether or not you change your clock twice a year. :banghead: :banghead:
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Return to “2019 Texas Legislative Session”