HB 357 - Unlicensed Carry (Stickland)

This sub-forum will open on Sept. 1, 2018

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Re: HB 357 - Unlicensed Carry (Stickland)

Post by Jusme »

Burns is my rep, I have been innundating him with requests to author a bill to remove prohibited locations, but have not gotten anything but a " thanks for contacting us" type reply. This is his third term, and I am so far disappointed. He votes the right way, but is not a guy who has been behind many pro 2a bills.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Flightmare »

Jusme wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:36 pm Burns is my rep, I have been innundating him with requests to author a bill to remove prohibited locations, but have not gotten anything but a " thanks for contacting us" type reply. This is his third term, and I am so far disappointed. He votes the right way, but is not a guy who has been behind many pro 2a bills.
I would love to see a bill like this. I've been talking to different reps around my county about removing just 4 locations that are off limits by statute;
  • 51% locations (It's already against the law to carry while intoxicated)
  • professional sporting events
  • race tracks
  • election day and early voting polling locations
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Flightmare wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:46 pm
Jusme wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:36 pm Burns is my rep, I have been innundating him with requests to author a bill to remove prohibited locations, but have not gotten anything but a " thanks for contacting us" type reply. This is his third term, and I am so far disappointed. He votes the right way, but is not a guy who has been behind many pro 2a bills.
I would love to see a bill like this. I've been talking to different reps around my county about removing just 4 locations that are off limits by statute;
  • 51% locations (It's already against the law to carry while intoxicated)
  • professional sporting events
  • race tracks
  • election day and early voting polling locations

I have been pushing to remove all prohibited locations, and give LTC holders the ability to carry anywhere a LEO can. Any LEO, or retired LEO, even from other States, can carry,even off duty, anywhere in the State. I have contended, that LTC holders, are more law abiding than LEO as a whole, and are usually more proficient with their guns, since most LEO, only shoot a couple of times a year.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ruark »

It would be a huge positive if they would just remove pro sporting events from the list.
-Ruark

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Don't be too hard your Rep. Burns. In view of Stickland's reputation, signing on to any of his bills is viewed as putting yourself in Stickland's Camp. That doesn't help your influence in the House or getting your bills passed.

Chas.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:37 am
Don't be too hard your Rep. Burns. In view of Stickland's reputation, signing on to any of his bills is viewed as putting yourself in Stickland's Camp. That doesn't help your influence in the House or getting your bills passed.

Chas.

I understand Stickland has a bad reputation, and goes overboard at times. My point was, Burns, as far I know, has never authored, any pro gun, or pro LTC bills. And I understand his main thrust has been taxes, and education, but it just seems like he avoids, anything that MDA, or ATFGS, would be against. As I said, his voting record is good, but he just hasn't been as outspoken as I would like. JMHO

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mojo84 »

cross posted.

Does this surprise anyone?

https://texasscorecard.com/state/consti ... ens-house/
Constitutional Carry on the Ropes in Bonnen’s House?
The window is narrowing for the bill to receive a public hearing with enough time to survive the legislative process.

By
Destin Sensky
|
March 26, 2019
The March 18 post indicated Texas House Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee Chairman Poncho Nevarez (D–Eagle Pass), an appointee of Texas House Speaker Dennis Bonnen, had told Stickland directly he was uncertain the bill would receive a public hearing at all. Even if it did, whether it would come soon enough to beat the 30-day calendar requirement to reach the floor was also uncertain, possibly providing a cop-out for leadership looking to absolve themselves of responsibility on the campaign trail next spring in Republican primary contests.

Now, several authors or coauthors in the Texas House are telling Texas Scorecard they have encouraged Nevarez to hold a hearing for the public to be able to voice their support and to allow the committee to vote on the bill.

“I firmly believe HB 357 should be brought up for a hearing and a vote before the Committee on Homeland Security and Public Safety,” said Rep. Dewayne Burns (R–Cleburne). “I have consistently encouraged Chairman Nevarez to bring the bill forward, and hope he will do so,” Burns said.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “2019 Texas Legislative Session”