HB 497 - Add Types and Uses of Ammunition to Required LTC Course Curriculum

This sub-forum will open on Sept. 1, 2018

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB 497 - Add Types and Uses of Ammunition to Required LTC Course Curriculum

Post by Jusme »

WildBill wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:42 pm
imkopaka wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:27 pm I think it's important to note that the existing law does not require any certain type of holster, and we here on the boards have pondered ad nauseum as to whether this holster or that fits the wording of "belt or shoulder holster." Forcing LTC instructors to cover holster types when no specific definitions are given in law for the same seems like a problem to me. :???:
This has to do with open carry to educate people about restraint holsters.

Yes, but without specificity, either in regards to ammo, or holsters, I'm also confused, by the need for putting this forward as a bill. With the almost unlimited, types of ammo, and holsters, this could be interpreted, as an entirely separate class. Which would extend the time required, for instruction. Since it doesn't state, that any ammo/holster questions, be added to the test, I too think this is a solution, looking for a problem.JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Jusme wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:30 pm
imkopaka wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:27 pm I think it's important to note that the existing law does not require any certain type of holster, and we here on the boards have pondered ad nauseum as to whether this holster or that fits the wording of "belt or shoulder holster." Forcing LTC instructors to cover holster types when no specific definitions are given in law for the same seems like a problem to me. :???:

Yes, but without specificity, either in regards to ammo, or holsters, I'm also confused, by the need for putting this forward as a bill. With the almost unlimited, types of ammo, and holsters, this could be interpreted, as an entirely separate class. Which would extend the time required, for instruction. Since it doesn't state, that any ammo/holster questions, be added to the test, I too think this is a solution, looking for a problem.JMHO
:iagree: LTC class is not for novice shooters and is not a how to carry strategy and tactics course. Less is more.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

I don't know Rep VanDeaver's reasons for authoring this bill, but it can not be interpreted as requiring an entirely separate class.
I believe that DPS decides what questions are on the test, not the legislature.
NRA Endowment Member

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

montgomery wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:47 pm

:iagree: LTC class is not for novice shooters and is not a how to carry strategy and tactics course. Less is more.
It's not supposed to be but they show up anyway.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I haven't talked with Rep. VanDeaver, but I think I know what is wants to address. I talk about ammo selection in my LTC classes. I point out that ammo that is appropriate for practice, plinking and matches (ex. 115 Gr. 9mm FMJ) may be a terrible self-defense round. That 9mm round is famous for its penetration and is not something you want to shoot in your home or on the street. I talk about other ammo issues, but they fall in that same general concept.

Chas.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Scott B. wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:19 pm
montgomery wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:47 pm :iagree: LTC class is not for novice shooters and is not a how to carry strategy and tactics course. Less is more.
It's not supposed to be but they show up anyway.
And they come more often than you might expect.

Personally I think I’d be doing them (and the general public) an injustice if I didn’t at least explain the most basic differences in ammo types (i.e self-defense vs. range ammo) to these newbies who just want to learn.

No, I don’t give an in-depth course on ballistics, etc. But you’d be amazed at the number of people who don’t understand the basics of ammo selection.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

PitBoss

Post by PitBoss »

IMHO, any presented bill without clear intentions (even if good) would end up being a Trojan horse bill for every anti-gun legislator to attempt to tack on every gun control proposal they could possibly think of...

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

PitBoss wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:23 pm IMHO, any presented bill without clear intentions (even if good) would end up being a Trojan horse bill for every anti-gun legislator to attempt to tack on every gun control proposal they could possibly think of...
Not with the strong Germane Rule in the Texas Legislature.

Chas.

PitBoss

Post by PitBoss »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:10 pm Not with the strong Germane Rule in the Texas Legislature.

Chas.
Still wouldn't put it past them to try... if anything to delay other, more important bills from being brought to the floor by procedural shenanigans and arguments (debate), amendment submissions/withdrawal etc.

On a more optimistic approach, maybe something like this will draw the anti's attention away from the 'good stuff'...

I would rather see legislation that would bring firearm safety education (actual education, not the anti-gun agenda) back into public schools...

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

It looks like one of the smoke and mirror bills from the Straus era, when the Texas legislature liked to have a bunch of "feel good" bills they could use as cover for not passing the "do good" bills, without making it completely obvious they're stonewalling.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

rob777

Post by rob777 »

Like the others who've chimed in, I already cover ammo types, selection and purpose in my classes so adding this as a required topic would be little or no change.
"Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

rob777 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:57 am Like the others who've chimed in, I already cover ammo types, selection and purpose in my classes so adding this as a required topic would be little or no change.
The legislature must have a lot of time on their hands to consider bills like this. I guess that means they will debate and vote on every important bill next year, and none of them will blatantly lie by saying they ran out of time before having public floor votes on unlicensed carry, repealing 46.035, et cetera.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

In the state of New Jersey handgun people are not allowed to use anything except solid bullets. Hollow points are considered as cop killers. This is totally rediculas, but it is their way of thinking.

Personally, in a self defense handgun I would rather use hollow points or something equivalent.

How many times has what kind of bullet to be used come up for discussion on this forum in the past. More than once.

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

IME most novice handgun shooters buy the cheapest ammunition they can find, and that is usually round nose lead for revolvers and FMJ for semiautos.

The mindset with most of them is, "It worked well for training and qualification, why wouldn't it work well for carry?"

I applaud all instructors on this forum who educate their students on the advantages of JHPs over FMJs and RNLs for carry. I understand the thought process behind HB 497, but I don't think it needs to be added to a LTC class already jam packed with mandatory information.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Return to “2019 Texas Legislative Session”