SB 403/HB 2146 - Exemptions for Certain Government Officials

This sub-forum will open on Sept. 1, 2018

Moderators: Keith B, Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Post Reply

Topic author
Papa_Tiger
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 681
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:55 am

SB 403/HB 2146 - Exemptions for Certain Government Officials

#1

Post by Papa_Tiger » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:50 am

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... Bill=SB403
https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Te ... ill=HB2146

Permits campus carry by a number of Federal and State legal employees (Judges, DAs, Assistant DAs etc.)

Exempts Assistant Municipal Attorneys from 46.02 and 46.03 of the penal code.
Last edited by Papa_Tiger on Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4634
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: SB 403 - Exemptions for Certain Government Officials

#2

Post by ScottDLS » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:19 am

Papa_Tiger wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:50 am
https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... Bill=SB403

Permits campus carry by a number of Federal and State legal employees (Judges, DAs, Assistant DAs etc.)

Exempts Assistant Municipal Attorneys from 46.02 and 46.03 of the penal code.
Ha, in my town the Municipal Attorneys are on contract from local law firms. Usually the guy/gal that just passed the bar and drew the short straw... :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

User avatar

oohrah
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1088
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 5:54 pm
Location: McLennan County

Re: SB 403 - Exemptions for Certain Government Officials

#3

Post by oohrah » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:27 am

I am opposed to this on the basis of special privilege. How about exemptions for law abiding citizens?
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3847
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: SB 403 - Exemptions for Certain Government Officials

#4

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:30 am

oohrah wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:27 am
I am opposed to this on the basis of special privilege. How about exemptions for law abiding citizens?
:iagree:

Government officials are the employees of the average citizen. If there is a difference in rights, then they should have fewer rights than their employers, never more.
Ding dong, the witch is dead

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4811
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: TX

Re: SB 403 - Exemptions for Certain Government Officials

#5

Post by bblhd672 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:30 am
oohrah wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:27 am
I am opposed to this on the basis of special privilege. How about exemptions for law abiding citizens?
:iagree:

Government officials are the employees of the average citizen. If there is a difference in rights, then they should have fewer rights than their employers, never more.
:iagree: x2 Special rights for government officials need to be lessened, not expanded.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

User avatar

canvasbck
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1100
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:45 pm
Location: Alvin

Re: SB 403 - Exemptions for Certain Government Officials

#6

Post by canvasbck » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:14 pm

bblhd672 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:45 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:30 am
oohrah wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:27 am
I am opposed to this on the basis of special privilege. How about exemptions for law abiding citizens?
:iagree:

Government officials are the employees of the average citizen. If there is a difference in rights, then they should have fewer rights than their employers, never more.
:iagree: x2 Special rights for government officials need to be eliminated, not expanded.
Fixed it for you
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

User avatar

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: SB 403 - Exemptions for Certain Government Officials

#7

Post by TexasJohnBoy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:44 pm

canvasbck wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:14 pm
bblhd672 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:45 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:30 am
oohrah wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:27 am
I am opposed to this on the basis of special privilege. How about exemptions for law abiding citizens?
:iagree:

Government officials are the employees of the average citizen. If there is a difference in rights, then they should have fewer rights than their employers, never more.
:iagree: x2 Special rights for government officials need to be eliminated, not expanded.
Fixed it for you
How many more :iagree: can we get on here???
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 6490
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: SB 403 - Exemptions for Certain Government Officials

#8

Post by Pawpaw » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:46 pm

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: SB 403 - Exemptions for Certain Government Officials

#9

Post by TexasJohnBoy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:58 pm

Well, there you have it.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

User avatar

KLB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 795
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:57 am
Location: San Antonio

Re: SB 403 - Exemptions for Certain Government Officials

#10

Post by KLB » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:03 pm

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:30 am
Government officials are the employees of the average citizen. If there is a difference in rights, then they should have fewer rights than their employers, never more.
I could not agree more, but the sentiment is fatuous. Because those who make the laws will always advantage themselves. Nor right, but real.


Topic author
Papa_Tiger
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 681
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:55 am

Re: SB 403 - Exemptions for Certain Government Officials

#11

Post by Papa_Tiger » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:10 pm

Added a companion in the house:

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Te ... ill=HB2146

HB 2146

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 25098
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: SB 403 - Exemptions for Certain Government Officials

#12

Post by The Annoyed Man » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:56 pm

Jason Todd wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:52 pm
KLB wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:03 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:30 am
Government officials are the employees of the average citizen. If there is a difference in rights, then they should have fewer rights than their employers, never more.
I could not agree more, but the sentiment is fatuous. Because those who make the laws will always advantage themselves. Nor right, but real.
Not always. It depends whether they consider themselves one of "we the people" or a privileged ruling class.
I would submit that, almost invariably, they view themselves as members of the privileged ruling class, REGARDLESS of what they say at campaign whistle stops about being a man or a woman of the people.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.


jordanmills
Banned
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 361
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:42 am

Re: SB 403 - Exemptions for Certain Government Officials

#13

Post by jordanmills » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:09 pm

bblhd672 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:45 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:30 am
oohrah wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:27 am
I am opposed to this on the basis of special privilege. How about exemptions for law abiding citizens?
:iagree:

Government officials are the employees of the average citizen. If there is a difference in rights, then they should have fewer rights than their employers, never more.
:iagree: x2 Special rights for government officials need to be lessened, not expanded.
Yep. If they don't like the infringements the way they are, they can fix them for everyone or keep dealing with it.

User avatar

Gator Guy
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:07 pm

Re: SB 403 - Exemptions for Certain Government Officials

#14

Post by Gator Guy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:39 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:56 pm
Jason Todd wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:52 pm
KLB wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:03 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:30 am
Government officials are the employees of the average citizen. If there is a difference in rights, then they should have fewer rights than their employers, never more.
I could not agree more, but the sentiment is fatuous. Because those who make the laws will always advantage themselves. Nor right, but real.
Not always. It depends whether they consider themselves one of "we the people" or a privileged ruling class.
I would submit that, almost invariably, they view themselves as members of the privileged ruling class, REGARDLESS of what they say at campaign whistle stops about being a man or a woman of the people.
In the US political arena, avowed domestic enemies of the Constitution view themselves as members of the privileged ruling class, and vice versa.
"A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned."

Post Reply

Return to “2019 Texas Legislative Session”