HB 2286 - Deregulation of Silencers and Prevention of Federal Enforcement by the State

This sub-forum will open on Sept. 1, 2018

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 3

HB 2286 - Deregulation of Silencers and Prevention of Federal Enforcement by the State

Post by Papa_Tiger »

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... ill=HB2286

Removes silencers from the list of weapons (unless legal under federal law) that are deemed illegal by the state to own, possess, manufacture or transport.

Provides a method of enforcement if a governmental entity, including state and local entities, try to prohibit silencers or enforce federal laws regarding them that are not also state laws.

KLB
Posts in topic: 2

Re: HB 2286 - Deregulation of Silencers and Prevention of Federal Enforcement by the State

Post by KLB »

This bill has made it out of committee.

https://legiscan.com/TX/bill/HB2286/2019

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB 2286 - Deregulation of Silencers and Prevention of Federal Enforcement by the State

Post by RoyGBiv »

Nice sentiment, but in practice what will Austin, SA, Houston and Dallas do?

If I was found to possess a suppressor that I made myself without a stamp, they would arrest me, alert ATF, I would get cleared of state charges due to this new law, but still be screwed on Federal charges.

Hopefully Federal law will change some day. Not holding my breath.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

snapcap45

Post by snapcap45 »

I do hope the NFA is ruled unconstitutional some day. Hopefull within my lifetime. I got a Form 4 out there for a suppressor. The wait continues.

Topic author
Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

KLB wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:50 am This bill has made it out of committee.

https://legiscan.com/TX/bill/HB2286/2019
Probably made it out of committee too late and will die in Calendars.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Wouldn't surprise me if they pass several pro 2nd bills from committee for them to die in calendars. That is part of playing the system to give the impression of being pro 2nd to earn ratings and be able to tell their constituents they are pro 2nd and to look at their voting record for proof.

At least they can say they voted for it in committee and it was Calendars committee that didn't get it scheduled on the floor. Isn't that what its all about.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

KLB

Post by KLB »

mojo84 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:58 pm Wouldn't surprise me if they pass several pro 2nd bills from committee for them to die in calendars. That is part of playing the system to give the impression of being pro 2nd to earn ratings and be able to tell their constituents they are pro 2nd and to look at their voting record for proof.

At least they can say they voted for it in committee and it was Calendars committee that didn't get it scheduled on the floor. Isn't that what its all about.
It's hard to be more cynical than the occasion calls for.

TonyG

Post by TonyG »

The House passed this today, but I am sure the Senate won't find the time to get to it...

snapcap45

Post by snapcap45 »

According to the last update on Texas Legislature Online HB 2286 is now in the Senate State Affairs committee. There has been no committee meeting scheduled yet for the hearing on this bill. With the end of the legislative session coming to an end very soon I hope this makes it out of committee onto the Senate floor for a final vote of passage to be sent to the Governor.

Topic author
Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

snapcap45 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:25 pm According to the last update on Texas Legislature Online HB 2286 is now in the Senate State Affairs committee. There has been no committee meeting scheduled yet for the hearing on this bill. With the end of the legislative session coming to an end very soon I hope this makes it out of committee onto the Senate floor for a final vote of passage to be sent to the Governor.
If it hasn't made it out of committee yet, it is likely dead.

Any Senate Bill that hasn't made it out of committee in the House yet is dead at this point.

O.F.Fascist

Post by O.F.Fascist »

I saw this posted on facebook, looks like it is dead.

Tom G Glass: Yes., Mike Maharrey, I testified for it in the House.! The author, Tom Oliverson, in fact, is my state rep.

But, the bill died in the Senate. It was assigned to the committee of the most anti-liberty of the Republicans in the Senate, Joan Huffman. She refused to hear it in the committee she chairs, the State Affairs Committee.

She chose, instead, to bring up and fast-track a bill that does the opposite of Oliverson's suppressor bill. That bill (HB 1168) duplicated in Texas law, an unnecessary, unconstitutional, wrongheaded, and counterproductive federal law creating a gun free zone in airport operating areas.

I testified against that bill and worked hard against it, falling one vote short of killing it.

Of course, in the Senate, legislation does not pass that Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick does not want to pass, and bills that he allows to pass, pass. It was Dan Patrick, after all, that keeps on appointing Joan Huffman, who has never seen a liberty bill that she likes, to be over the powerful Senate State Affairs Committee. So Dan Patrick is just as responsible for this as Joan Huffman.

So the good Tenth Amendment/Second Amendment bill, HB 2286 was killed by Joan Huffman and Lt. Governor Dan Patrick. And a bad bill (HB 1168) violating the Tenth Amendment and Second Amendment was fast tracked by them.

We still have a chance of stopping HB 1168 by persuading the governor to veto it. And I intend to lead the effort to make it very uncomfortable for the governor to allow it to go into law.

Return to “2019 Texas Legislative Session”