This sub-forum will open on Sept. 1, 2018

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

HB 2363 - Firearms in Foster Homes

Post by Papa_Tiger »

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... ill=HB2363

Firearms in foster homes would be allowed to be stored loaded and at a minimum behind a locked door that could be made of glass.

PriestTheRunner

Re: HB 2363 - Firearms in Foster Homes

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:31 am https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... ill=HB2363

Firearms in foster homes would be allowed to be stored loaded and at a minimum behind a locked door that could be made of glass.
GOOD! That law sucks. Though I would never leave a loaded gun in a glass case in a foster home, the current rules don't even allow me to have a loaded gun and (technically) don't have a carve-out for LTC.

Also get rid of the Ammo / guns in different locked cases requirement. There should be no reason my safe isn't sufficient for both.

shadowen

Post by shadowen »

Looks like it passed, but gutted with amendments in the Senate; now requires a trigger lock on the firearms when stored in the same locked location.

So...

1. Adds a layer of complexity when needing to retrieve a firearms in an emergency, adding time in situations where time is of the essence.

and

2. Assumes someone who gains access to a firearm in a locked cabinet, safe, etc... can't figure out a trigger lock? Really?

What a mess; they got so close on having something reasonable...

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

The Texas GOP kicks gun owners in the teeth once again.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Does the passage of THIS BILL mean that someone gets to buy me a new AR??? Is a twitter post a legal contract???
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

O.F.Fascist
Posts in topic: 2

Post by O.F.Fascist »

Wow, that's garbage. Do we know who was responsible for this mess? Was it Huffman, she ruined a few other bills too.

If I were still fostering and wanting to follow the letter of the law I'd just stick with a gun in a quick access safe and magazine on the table of the locked bedroom for the night.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Sounds like, in their eagerness to stifle gun rights, they’re willing to discourage people who would otherwise be willing to foster children. Isn’t gov’t a wonderful thing?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

O.F.Fascist
Posts in topic: 2

Post by O.F.Fascist »

Looks like Birdwell was responsible for the stupid amendment if I'm reading this right.

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/86R/s ... 02363A.pdf

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

I read the title of this post and thought it pertained to giving foster homes to unwanted guns. I was going to ask where to sign up. :biggrinjester:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:04 am Sounds like, in their eagerness to stifle gun rights, they’re willing to discourage people who would otherwise be willing to foster children. Isn’t gov’t a wonderful thing?
There are many rules and laws to discourage folk from taking up foster parenting. Thankfully there are some that put aside some restrictions of their freedoms to help out the children. Texas would be a terrible place without foster parents. I just wish we had more.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “2019 Texas Legislative Session”