SB 2146: School Carry

This sub-forum will open on Sept. 1, 2018

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

SB 2146: School Carry

Post by Lynyrd »

SB 2146 was filed on March 8 by Bob Hall. If I am reading the bill correctly, it would allow LTC holders to carry on all school campuses.
(b) A license holder may carry a concealed handgun on or about the license holder's person while the license holder is on the campus of a school district or open-enrollment charter school in this state.
(c) A school district or open-enrollment charter school in this state may not adopt any rule, regulation, or other provision prohibiting license holders from carrying handguns on a campus of the district or school.
Here is a link to the bill.

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... ill=SB2146

Am I misreading something here? And does this have a chance at passing?
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Flightmare

Re: SB 2146: School Carry

Post by Flightmare »

I saw that bill earlier. It may be one of my favorites this session.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

I like this bill, even if it is concealed carry only, it would mirror the requirement on college campuses.
I hope enough people get on board, and move this through committee, but I'm not holding my breath. if
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Lynyrd wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:27 pm SB 2146 was filed on March 8 by Bob Hall. If I am reading the bill correctly, it would allow LTC holders to carry on all school campuses.
Just a minor technical correction, but not ALL school campuses. Public schools and charter schools only. Private schools could do what they wanted. This matches the college campus rules except better, since they can still pick areas to ban.
Steve Rothstein

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

:iagree:
1911 Raptor wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:00 am I like this bill but if it’s gonna pass why not just remove all restrictions so CHL can carry anywhere a LEO can.

Ravendove
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Ravendove »

Hi everyone, I haven't posted here in a really long time but I saw you guys discussing this bill and wanted to jump in because the bill is a project I've been working on for the last two and a half years. As Srothstein points out, the language doesn't change anything for private schools, although that was the intent. That was actually a mistake and we didn't catch it until the bill was already filed. So we'll be working to fix that with a committee substitute so that the end result will be that private schools will not be prohibited places for concealed carry by default but can post signs in deference to private property rights.

Several of you have pointed out that it doesn't have much chance of passing this session. You're probably right. I went into this knowing that. However, that it got filed and will today likely be referred to committee is an enormous milestone since I couldn't even get anyone to agree to file it at all last session. My goal for this session is to get a committee hearing and to get people to show up to testify in favor. That in itself will help the effort for next session. If any of you here would be willing to testify, send me a message so I can add you to the list of people to notify of updates to the bill.

In the interest of disclosure, I'm a public school district employee at Dallas ISD and I have a first grader in a nearby suburban district. So I'm coming at this from all angles of interest and personal impact. Let me know if you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Ravendove wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:13 pm Hi everyone, I haven't posted here in a really long time but I saw you guys discussing this bill and wanted to jump in because the bill is a project I've been working on for the last two and a half years. As Srothstein points out, the language doesn't change anything for private schools, although that was the intent. That was actually a mistake and we didn't catch it until the bill was already filed. So we'll be working to fix that with a committee substitute so that the end result will be that private schools will not be prohibited places for concealed carry by default but can post signs in deference to private property rights.

Several of you have pointed out that it doesn't have much chance of passing this session. You're probably right. I went into this knowing that. However, that it got filed and will today likely be referred to committee is an enormous milestone since I couldn't even get anyone to agree to file it at all last session. My goal for this session is to get a committee hearing and to get people to show up to testify in favor. That in itself will help the effort for next session. If any of you here would be willing to testify, send me a message so I can add you to the list of people to notify of updates to the bill.

In the interest of disclosure, I'm a public school district employee at Dallas ISD and I have a first grader in a nearby suburban district. So I'm coming at this from all angles of interest and personal impact. Let me know if you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions.

Don't know if I would be able to make it, and I know most committee hearings don't give much advance notice, but please keep us updated. If I can be there, I would like to testify. This is one of my main goals to not only remove schools from the list of prohibited places, LTC holders can carry, but to eventually get the laws to allow LTC holders to carry anywhere LEO can.
Thanks for your efforts.

KLB

Post by KLB »

1911 Raptor wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:00 am I like this bill but if it’s gonna pass why not just remove all restrictions so CHL can carry anywhere a LEO can.
Politics is the art of the possible. Be careful not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Ravendove

Post by Ravendove »

Ok, the bill has been referred to the Senate State Affairs committee. Phone calls to the committee chair and members to get a hearing scheduled would be greatly appreciated. Also, calling the senator in your district to ask them to support and co-author the bill would be really helpful as well. Thanks in advance!!!

State Affairs
Chair: Joan Huffman - 512-463-0117
Vice Chair: Bryan Hughes - 512-463-0101
Brian Birdwell - 512-463-0122
Brandon Creighton - 512-463-0104
Pat Fallon - 512-463-0130
Bob Hall - 512-463-0102
Eddie Lucio Jr - 512-463-0127
Jane Nelson - 512-463-0112
Judith Zaffirini - 512-463-0121

Ravendove

Post by Ravendove »

Ok, a hearing request was sent and received by the Senate State Affairs committee. I humbly ask all of you to call the chair, vice chair, and the State Affairs committee to request a hearing. The committee phone number is 512-463-0380.

If you need an example of what to say: "Hi, my name is ________ and I'd like SB 2146 scheduled for a hearing in the State Affairs committee."

Thanks in advance!

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I have already reached out to Senator Birdwell, I live in his district. I will call the others today. Thanks for the update.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Delete this I made a mistake
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Ravendove

Post by Ravendove »

Jusme wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:43 am I have already reached out to Senator Birdwell, I live in his district. I will call the others today. Thanks for the update.
Thanks very much! I appreciate you!

Return to “2019 Texas Legislative Session”