Post Mortem

This sub-forum will open on Sept. 1, 2018

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
canvasbck
Posts in topic: 2

Post Mortem

Post by canvasbck »

I'm wondering if there will be a post mortem following this disastrous session of the Tx Leg. Normally we have, you know bills to follow and public hearings to discuss. This year, even the crickets where silent. We got exactly one bill through. Although it was an important bill for folks who live in apartments and condos, this session produced nothing new for gun owners in general.

It would be good to know what, if anything, the NRA and TSRA was doing to advocate for us this session. I understand that any actions taken this session were done quietly and behind the scenes because there was nothing to do publicly, thanks to Rep. Bonnen's betrayal. But members do want to know what these organizations are doing for us.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: Post Mortem

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

canvasbck wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:51 am I'm wondering if there will be a post mortem following this disastrous session of the Tx Leg. Normally we have, you know bills to follow and public hearings to discuss. This year, even the crickets where silent. We got exactly one bill through. Although it was an important bill for folks who live in apartments and condos, this session produced nothing new for gun owners in general.

It would be good to know what, if anything, the NRA and TSRA was doing to advocate for us this session. I understand that any actions taken this session were done quietly and behind the scenes because there was nothing to do publicly, thanks to Rep. Bonnen's betrayal. But members do want to know what these organizations are doing for us.
I will be giving a recap of the session, probably in a podcast only. I will post a final Bill Status Report.

Chas.

yakadoo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by yakadoo »

If I understand the legislative schedule correctly, multiple bills which would benefit gun owners still have a chance at final passage or have already been sent to the governor, in addition to HB 302:

HB 121 provides that immediate departure from signed property upon oral 30.06/30.07 notice is a defense to prosecution.

HB 1177 allows unlicensed handgun carry during emergencies and/or evacuations.

HB 1791 expands the prohibition on governmental notice of handgun carry prohibition to include 30.07 and any statement or implication that carry is prohibited, whether as a sign, oral notice, or otherwise.

HB 2286 decriminalizes suppressors.

HB 2363 requires DFPS to permit storage of firearms and ammunition in the same locked container by foster homes.

HB 3016 allows holstered open carry in motor vehicles by LTC holders off of one's person.

HB 3231 prohibits municipalities and counties from regulating the sale of firearms and certain other weapons.

SB 117 clarifies that "school means an accredited primary or secondary school", adds "postsecondary" in front of "educational institution" and limits the combined term's definition to colleges and universities, and also specifies that a prohibited "school-sponsored activity" must take place on property owned by and under control of the school.

SB 741 prohibits HOAs from restricting the possession, transportation, or storage of firearms or ammunition.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

canvasbck wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:51 am I'm wondering if there will be a post mortem following this disastrous session of the Tx Leg. Normally we have, you know bills to follow and public hearings to discuss. This year, even the crickets where silent. We got exactly one bill through. Although it was an important bill for folks who live in apartments and condos, this session produced nothing new for gun owners in general.
Considering the House committee appointments, if we got one bill we liked across and stopped all of the bad bills, I would think we had a successful, even though not good, session.
Steve Rothstein

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

srothstein wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:36 pm
Considering the House committee appointments, if we got one bill we liked across and stopped all of the bad bills, I would think we had a successful, even though not good, session.
Yes, I think you summed it up rather well, sadly enough.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Here is my Post Mortem Analysis.

Have TSRA and NRA became irrelevant in Texas?
Do they need more money??
Let us raise some cash if so is the case.

NRA and TSRA should spent more on Promoting and enlisting more 2ndA supporters.
Demographics are changing faster than you think
Time is not the friend of 2ndA supporter
Bring 3 new friends each year to the range
Talking about 2ndA and firearms is not a taboo nor a crime
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

My view is that this legislative session was an across the board disaster for anything resembling a Conservative outcome. We apparently have no representation at all in the TXLEG.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

According to statistics in a new book published by Karl Rehn, owner of KR Training, and titled "Strategies and Standards for Defensive Handgun Training" he states that Texas has a population of approximately 29 million with approximately 3.25 million gun owners (~11% of the population). Approximately 500,000 of those 3.25 million are NRA members and only 35,000 are members of TSRA. Those numbers show that of adult gun owners only 15% belong to NRA and only 1% are TSRA members. Vicki at TSRA may have more accurate figures, but I believe Karl's to be pretty close. Alice Tripp and her TSRA crew have been working every pro gun bill and working against every anti-gun bill in the Texas legislature, but with only 1% of Texas gun owners as members, it is a big stretch. Yes, they need more money to do their job of lobbying, but the first step is more MEMBERSHIP. Legislators react to numbers of voters and when only 1% of Texas gunowners are members of TSRA, I think they have done a pretty good job. Is this a pitch to join TSRA--YES, they, working with the NRA Lobbyist in Austin are our primary points of contact to ensure that we have people to testify at hearings, talk with legislators and staffs and get stuff done. Wouldn't it be great if TSRA could double their numbers by the next legislative session and represent at least 2% of the gun owners in Texas! :txflag:
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

baytownb

Post by baytownb »

Here's the real question, which kind of AR15 are you going to pick out for Bonnen to pay for?

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

An accomplishment I didn't see posted already: All the bad bills that didn't pass. There was a fairly lengthy list as I recall. Good defense is also good play, just not as spectacular as good offense.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

jerry_r60 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:01 am An accomplishment I didn't see posted already: All the bad bills that didn't pass. There was a fairly lengthy list as I recall. Good defense is also good play, just not as spectacular as good offense.
When there is divided government, or your party is in the minority, preventing "bad" bills is a big accomplishment. But when you have substantial majorities in both houses, and hold the executive as well, it is reasonable to expect that you will do more than simply keep things status quo for your side.

IMHO, the problem is that while we have a lot of so called "Republicans" we don't have all that many legislators who really, truly, are Republican. So our apparent majorities aren't what they might appear to be.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:40 am
IMHO, the problem is that while we have a lot of so called "Republicans" we don't have all that many legislators who really, truly, are Republican. So our apparent majorities aren't what they might appear to be.
:iagree: The Democrat Party is becoming increasingly hard left, while the Republican Party is becoming increasingly left of center. It's not just a Texas problem though.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Stan U

Post by Stan U »

jerry_r60 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:01 am An accomplishment I didn't see posted already: All the bad bills that didn't pass. There was a fairly lengthy list as I recall. Good defense is also good play, just not as spectacular as good offense.
I didn't rob a bank today. Where's my trophy?

BeanCounter

Post by BeanCounter »

Beiruty wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:04 am Bring 3 new friends each year to the range
We started doing this last year. Out of the 8 newbies we took to the range, three purchased their first firearm, one discovered a consuming passion for skeet and sporting clays, two received their license to carry and two joined our range.

One Saturday morning I noticed a husband and wife teaching their three kids “how to shoot daddy’s gun”. The kids were thoroughly enjoying the experience, but they only had one box of 50 rounds and mom was carefully handing out ammo 5 rounds at a time. I gave mom a 200 round box to help with “the lesson”

Now, I always carry extra ammo just in case I see a lesson in progress…
TSRA Life Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Stan U wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:05 pm
I didn't rob a bank today. Where's my trophy?
I guess you don't consider killing bad bills an accomplishment?

Chas.

Return to “2019 Texas Legislative Session”