Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gun Storage programs in Texas?

Post by bblhd672 »

By our “allies” the Republicans no less. :banghead:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Read the Foxnews article and could not tell exactly WHAT this law says regarding storage. Does anyone know WHAT this says? We already have laws regarding making firearms available to a child with enhanced penalties if someone is injured or killed.

??????
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I tracked down what I believe is the actual legislation, this snippet is from HB1:
48.Statewide Safe Gun Storage Campaign. Included in the amounts appropriated above in Strategy G.1.1, Headquarters Administration, is $500,000 in fiscal year 2020 and $500,000 in fiscal year 2021 in General Revenue to establish and promote a statewide safe gun storage campaign. The public awareness campaign shall begin no later than September 1, 2020. The public awareness campaign may include online materials, printed materials, public service announcements, or other advertising media. The public awareness campaign may not convey a message that it is unlawful under state law to keep or store a firearm that is loaded or that is readily accessible for self-defense.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Thanks G.A. If all they are doing is an awareness campaign, think that $1 million over two years needs to go to NRA and TSRA educational initiatives. :biggrinjester:
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

jason812
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jason812 »

AF-Odin wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:34 pm Thanks G.A. If all they are doing is an awareness campaign, think that $1 million over two years needs to go to NRA and TSRA educational initiatives. :biggrinjester:
Or put Eddie Eagle in K thru 12 curriculum. I know its crazy to actually teach the kids something useful.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Bring back firearms education (including marksman shooting skills) to HS.
Beiruty,

OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OneGun »

Beiruty wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:44 pm Bring back firearms education (including marksman shooting skills) to HS.
Great Idea, but the self-serving liberal progressives will claim erroneously that the purpose of the education is to teach violence and then blow it out of proportion with a social media (and fake news) campaigns.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

OneGun wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:04 pm
Beiruty wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:44 pm Bring back firearms education (including marksman shooting skills) to HS.
Great Idea, but the self-serving liberal progressives will claim erroneously that the purpose of the education is to teach violence and then blow it out of proportion with a social media (and fake news) campaigns.
Those who serve in the National Guard and the US Armed forces are not blowing melons left and right, no?
Beiruty,

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Received email below from TSRA:

Dear TSRA Members, Family and Friends:

Gun Storage and Fake News

The media has reported a bill passed in the Texas Legislature dealing with firearms storage restrictions.

This is not only misleading, it is untrue, hog-wash, and wrong!

The lines below were added to a budget bill authorizing a relatively small amount of funding for the Texas Department of Public Safety to develop a gun storage safety information campaign.

Currently there is gun storage information on the DPS website and safe gun storage has always been part of other programs such as the LTC class materials.

The exact language of what was included in this portion of the budget bill is below. The underlined language was added to confirm legislative intent and as a safe-guard. It was added by a State Representative, a staunch supporter of Texas gun-rights.

It reads as follows:
Statewide Safe Gun Storage Campaign. Included in the amounts appropriated above in Strategy G.1.1, Headquarters Administration, is $500,000 in fiscal year 2020 and $500,000 in fiscal year 2021 in General Revenue to establish and promote a statewide safe gun storage campaign.
The public awareness campaign shall begin no later than September 1, 2020. The public awareness campaign may include online materials, printed materials, public service announcements, or other advertising media. The public awareness campaign may not convey a message that it is unlawful under state law to keep or store a firearm that is loaded or that is readily accessible for self- defense.

Sincerely,

Alice Tripp
Legislative Director
Texas State Rifle Association
the NRA state affiliate
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

ELB

Post by ELB »

The money would have been better spent free LTCs, or even better, reducing state debt.
USAF 1982-2005

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My understanding is that Gov. Abbott has line item veto power? If so, he may well veto that line item so that he can sign the budget bill. In any case:
bblhd672 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 5:18 pm Received email below from TSRA:

Dear TSRA Members, Family and Friends:

Gun Storage and Fake News

The media has reported a bill passed in the Texas Legislature dealing with firearms storage restrictions.

This is not only misleading, it is untrue, hog-wash, and wrong!

The lines below were added to a budget bill authorizing a relatively small amount of funding for the Texas Department of Public Safety to develop a gun storage safety information campaign.

Currently there is gun storage information on the DPS website and safe gun storage has always been part of other programs such as the LTC class materials.

The exact language of what was included in this portion of the budget bill is below. The underlined language was added to confirm legislative intent and as a safe-guard. It was added by a State Representative, a staunch supporter of Texas gun-rights.

It reads as follows:
Statewide Safe Gun Storage Campaign. Included in the amounts appropriated above in Strategy G.1.1, Headquarters Administration, is $500,000 in fiscal year 2020 and $500,000 in fiscal year 2021 in General Revenue to establish and promote a statewide safe gun storage campaign.
The public awareness campaign shall begin no later than September 1, 2020. The public awareness campaign may include online materials, printed materials, public service announcements, or other advertising media. The public awareness campaign may not convey a message that it is unlawful under state law to keep or store a firearm that is loaded or that is readily accessible for self- defense.

Sincerely,

Alice Tripp
Legislative Director
Texas State Rifle Association
the NRA state affiliate
The highlighted part seems to indicate that this "sends a message", but mandates nothing.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

strogg

Post by strogg »

Here's the thing for me. I am all about gun safety in every form. Whether that is keeping it locked up so irresponsible people don't get their hands on them, or keeping your finger off the trigger, or keeping the firearm pointed in a safe direction. I believe that firearm safety should be taught and ingrained in all people (especially at an early age) so that they respect the firearm and treat it responsibly, not fear it. And most importantly, people should respect each other's right to bear arms if they so wish to exercise that right. I'm not about to force responsible people to buy guns if they don't want to. I won't be stopping them either. It's their decision to make, not mine.

With that being said, the earmark is the equivalent of a household spending $30 a year for two years to promote a narrow view of gun safety. If the view was expanded in scope to what I described, then I'd say $30 well spent. In its current form, it's still better than throwing $30 out the window, but not a complete waste imo.

apostate

Post by apostate »

This PSA is a legislative priority for Texas Gun Sense.
https://www.txgunsense.org/articles/why ... y-campaign

I'm sure it will be devoid of bias. :skep:

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

apostate wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:41 pm This PSA is a legislative priority for Texas Gun Sense.
https://www.txgunsense.org/articles/why ... y-campaign

I'm sure it will be devoid of bias. :skep:
:iagree: My spidey sense is that anything that the TXGNSENSE group is for is bad for Texas gun owners - it is just a matter of figuring out how it is bad. We know that they operate on a campaign of death by 1,000 cuts. They gain small foot holds and then try to expand them. This one may be an attempt at greater name recognition for their group in the PSAs. Yes, I can be a bit of a tin foil hat type but these kinds of groups have taught me to be like that. It is not real paranoia when they ARE after you.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “2019 Texas Legislative Session”