Gov. Greg Abbott announced a new school safety plan and proposed changes to gun laws

Governor Abbott issued his Action Plan on May 30, 2019.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Gov. Greg Abbott announced a new school safety plan and proposed changes to gun laws

Post by cyphertext »

locke_n_load wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:04 pm
cyphertext wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:05 am
locke_n_load wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:11 pm How in the world can your son have the time and privacy to build a pipe bomb while living with you?
Seriously? Where your parents with you 24x7 when you were a teen? A couple of hours on the internet one day, a trip to home depot on another, then a couple of hours putting them together!

How do teens have enough privacy to drink? How do teens have enough privacy to get high? How do teens have enough privacy to get pregnant? You can't be with them 24x7.
I don't know if home depot has 100% everything you need to make a pipe bomb - the fertilizer they sell may not be the right concentration.
Well, I was at school from 8-4, then had sports practice from 4-6, home at 6:30, dinner, homework, then bed. So even though my parents weren't with me 24/7, I sure didn't have time to build any pipe bombs, or the money to. I didn't have time to drink much or do any drugs, and my parents knew where I was and who I was with 99% of the time. And I'm not really old - 30. It's called parenting, and doing it right isn't easy, fast, or cheap.
So, you accounted for 5 out of 7 days... and sounds like you never went to a friend's house, or went on a date? And since you are only 30, I'm going to bet that you aren't the parent of a teen, maybe not even a parent. I've already raised mine... he never got into any trouble... but I wasn't with him 24x7. He played sports, was active in Scouts, was in JROTC... yet he still had time for a social life away from home.

I know as a kid growing up that I did a lot of stupid things that my parents weren't aware of. You can only train them the way you want them to act, and then bust that butt if they get caught doing otherwise.

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gov. Greg Abbott announced a new school safety plan and proposed changes to gun laws

Post by rotor »

Bought a Marlin bolt action .22 when I was 12 living in NYC. New York City! No background check, no paperwork, just cash. My grandson now owns that rifle and it fires as good as when new. Of course I have it locked in a safe and only let him have it when we go out together. To be honest though, I would have no problem letting my grandson (age 12) have that rifle. Not legal though but it was for me when I bought it.

Wasn't that long ago that a youngster killed some bad guys in Oklahoma that were breaking into his home. Used a dreaded AR-15 and was NOT prosecuted for taking out the bad guys.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

rotor wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 11:13 pm Bought a Marlin bolt action .22 when I was 12 living in NYC. New York City! No background check, no paperwork, just cash. My grandson now owns that rifle and it fires as good as when new. Of course I have it locked in a safe and only let him have it when we go out together. To be honest though, I would have no problem letting my grandson (age 12) have that rifle. Not legal though but it was for me when I bought it.

Wasn't that long ago that a youngster killed some bad guys in Oklahoma that were breaking into his home. Used a dreaded AR-15 and was NOT prosecuted for taking out the bad guys.
As a high school kid 14, 15 years old I had Made fuse fired pipebombs, Took my (not my parent's) .22/410 out hunting for squirrels rabbits or ducks. and even converted an air rifle to a single shot powder fired muzzle loader. This was in Massachusetts, We had access to lots of tools and workshops.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:33 am
Grundy1133 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:07 pm
twomillenium wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:57 pm
Grundy1133 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:49 pm
LeonCarr wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:44 pm When are the Santa Fe shooter's parents, or any other mass shooter under 18's parents, going to be charged with making firearms accessible to minors?

Putting adults in jail for not keeping their firearms secure is a big step in the right direction.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
We live in a society where nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions so it's easier to blame an inanimate who can't defend itself.
In order to charge the parents then a law would have to be made up. He was 17, parents not required to lock up firearms from him.
if that's what needs to be done then so be it. I guarantee you if the parents were scared of going to jail, they'd be sure to keep their guns locked up which would in turn make it harder for these delinquents to get their hands on guns.
I disagree. TPC §46.13 should be repealed, rather than raise the prohibited age to 18 years. We cannot have laws that target a tiny fraction of people in any given subgroup to the extreme prejudice of an overwhelming majority of people within that subgroup. For every school shooter under age 17, there are hundreds of thousands of teenagers at home alone because their parent(s) are working. Why should a 15 year old girl at home alone be defenseless on the off-chance that one kid in many millions will engage in criminal misuse of a firearm? Doing so when violent home invasions are on the rise is unconscionable in my view.

I'm putting together a podcast on the Governor's Plan.

Chas.
FWIW, the potential civil liability (not to mention moral, social) of a minor mis-using my loaded guns motivates me a lot more than the criminal penalties specified in TPC §46.13.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 5

Post by locke_n_load »

cyphertext wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:20 pm
locke_n_load wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:04 pm
cyphertext wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:05 am
locke_n_load wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:11 pm How in the world can your son have the time and privacy to build a pipe bomb while living with you?
Seriously? Where your parents with you 24x7 when you were a teen? A couple of hours on the internet one day, a trip to home depot on another, then a couple of hours putting them together!

How do teens have enough privacy to drink? How do teens have enough privacy to get high? How do teens have enough privacy to get pregnant? You can't be with them 24x7.
I don't know if home depot has 100% everything you need to make a pipe bomb - the fertilizer they sell may not be the right concentration.
Well, I was at school from 8-4, then had sports practice from 4-6, home at 6:30, dinner, homework, then bed. So even though my parents weren't with me 24/7, I sure didn't have time to build any pipe bombs, or the money to. I didn't have time to drink much or do any drugs, and my parents knew where I was and who I was with 99% of the time. And I'm not really old - 30. It's called parenting, and doing it right isn't easy, fast, or cheap.
So, you accounted for 5 out of 7 days... and sounds like you never went to a friend's house, or went on a date? And since you are only 30, I'm going to bet that you aren't the parent of a teen, maybe not even a parent. I've already raised mine... he never got into any trouble... but I wasn't with him 24x7. He played sports, was active in Scouts, was in JROTC... yet he still had time for a social life away from home.

I know as a kid growing up that I did a lot of stupid things that my parents weren't aware of. You can only train them the way you want them to act, and then bust that butt if they get caught doing otherwise.
I didn't go to many sleepovers, most of them were with the church. Didn't really date anyone till I graduated high school. I have a 3 year old.
But I agree with your last paragraph for sure.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

https://empowertexans.com/under-the-dom ... -gun-plan/
When gun control advocates leave the Governor’s meeting high-fiving each other, you know there’s a reason for concern.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Kiowa Scout

Post by Kiowa Scout »

If I’m reading the Governor’s proposed plan correctly, my kids that are currently able to go hunting on their own (because of Texas Hunter Education requirements being met), would no longer be able to do so. By allowing them to sit at another location from me and hunt, while I’m taking my younger kids hunting, would become illegal and I would be the one punished? Am I correct on my assumptions?
"They all handle the sword and are expert in war; every man has his sword on his thigh, that fear be not excited in the night" Song of Solomon 3:8

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

My main problem with any of this revolves around the fact that existing gun laws don't stop a person from murdering others. But once again, the cry for more of what does not work screeches forth like the sound of finger nails on a chalk board.

Until we start to address the REASONS these people commit crimes like this, we will continue to have mass shootings.

The complete decay in family and moral values is the reason this is happening so often. Our kids have and are becoming desensitized to violence due to media.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

We got to get to locking nuts up in mental hospitals like we did before Lady Bird Johnson got them all turned out!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Return to “Governor's Abbott's "School and Firearm Safety Action Plan"”