Gov. Greg Abbott announced a new school safety plan and proposed changes to gun laws

Governor Abbott issued his Action Plan on May 30, 2019.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Governor Abbott Navigates Public Attitudes and Political Realities with Gun Policy Announcement

Post by SewTexas »

what happened to the other topic? I had notifications, then when I clicked on it it told me I wasn't "authorized", then it disappeared....all very weird.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Governor Abbott Navigates Public Attitudes and Political Realities with Gun Policy Announcement

Post by Papa_Tiger »

SewTexas wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 2:18 pm what happened to the other topic? I had notifications, then when I clicked on it it told me I wasn't "authorized", then it disappeared....all very weird.
Looks like there is a sub-forum in the "Legislative" forum specifically for Governor Abbot's Gun Policy announcement. I suspect the initial thread wound up there and this one will too eventually. As the sub-forum is new, the permissions are still getting worked out.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 2:38 pm
SewTexas wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 2:18 pm what happened to the other topic? I had notifications, then when I clicked on it it told me I wasn't "authorized", then it disappeared....all very weird.
Looks like there is a sub-forum in the "Legislative" forum specifically for Governor Abbot's Gun Policy announcement. I suspect the initial thread wound up there and this one will too eventually. As the sub-forum is new, the permissions are still getting worked out.
ah, I see it.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

While i have no problem, with the majority, of the proposed "suggestions", they are just that, suggestions. I saw nothing besides, requiring reporting to NICS within 48 hours, someone who would be prohibited from purchasing a firearm. Which works great for those, who are a threat, and do not already own a firearm.

I have flooded Greg Abbott's email, to require school districts, as part of their safety plan, to allow teachers, and staff, who possess, a LTC, to be allowed to carry on campuses. I realize this must be done, at the Legislative level, but a State mandate, along these lines, would be the least expensive first step, since those people are already there, and being paid, so the out of pocket money wold be zero. I know that there would be push back from the left wing, but, every school shooting, had one thing in common, and that is, that, there was no one able to shoot back, at the onset of the shooting.

I have also reached out to my other State representatives to introduce bills to require exactly this. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Jusme wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 4:14 pm I have flooded Greg Abbott's email, to require school districts, as part of their safety plan, to allow teachers, and staff, who possess, a LTC, to be allowed to carry on campuses. I realize this must be done, at the Legislative level, but a State mandate, along these lines, would be the least expensive first step, since those people are already there, and being paid, so the out of pocket money wold be zero.
I'm not sure this would require legislation. I think all it would take is each school district allowing it. I think they could even say that they will allow parents with LTC's to carry on their premises.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

SewTexas

Re: Gov. Greg Abbott announced a new school safety plan and proposed changes to gun laws

Post by SewTexas »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:33 am
Grundy1133 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:07 pm
twomillenium wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:57 pm
Grundy1133 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:49 pm
LeonCarr wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:44 pm When are the Santa Fe shooter's parents, or any other mass shooter under 18's parents, going to be charged with making firearms accessible to minors?

Putting adults in jail for not keeping their firearms secure is a big step in the right direction.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
We live in a society where nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions so it's easier to blame an inanimate who can't defend itself.
In order to charge the parents then a law would have to be made up. He was 17, parents not required to lock up firearms from him.
if that's what needs to be done then so be it. I guarantee you if the parents were scared of going to jail, they'd be sure to keep their guns locked up which would in turn make it harder for these delinquents to get their hands on guns.
I disagree. TPC §46.13 should be repealed, rather than raise the prohibited age to 18 years. We cannot have laws that target a tiny fraction of people in any given subgroup to the extreme prejudice of an overwhelming majority of people within that subgroup. For every school shooter under age 17, there are hundreds of thousands of teenagers at home alone because their parent(s) are working. Why should a 15 year old girl at home alone be defenseless on the off-chance that one kid in many millions will engage in criminal misuse of a firearm? Doing so when violent home invasions are on the rise is unconscionable in my view.

I'm putting together a podcast on the Governor's Plan.

Chas.
exactly what Mr Cotton said! 11, 12 years ago when our house was broken into in Colorado Springs, on Easter Morning, we were all at Church. But the week before my 14 year old daughter had been home alone, sick. Our kids knew where we kept our guns and how to use them, and two weeks later when we got a gun safe we taught them the combo, the safe wasn't to keep our teens out of it, it was to keep bad guys out of it. Our guns were/are to keep our family safe.

btw, would you like to take a guess at how long it took to leave my kids home alone again? months....
~Tracy

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

C-dub wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 4:27 pm
Jusme wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 4:14 pm I have flooded Greg Abbott's email, to require school districts, as part of their safety plan, to allow teachers, and staff, who possess, a LTC, to be allowed to carry on campuses. I realize this must be done, at the Legislative level, but a State mandate, along these lines, would be the least expensive first step, since those people are already there, and being paid, so the out of pocket money wold be zero.
I'm not sure this would require legislation. I think all it would take is each school district allowing it. I think they could even say that they will allow parents with LTC's to carry on their premises.

They may allow it now, there are some school districts who do so. I would rather see it become mandatory, especially since it is one measure that would not require spending additional money.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

skeathley
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gov. Greg Abbott announced a new school safety plan and proposed changes to gun laws

Post by skeathley »

A school system I am working with allows any staff to carry, if they have an LTC and complete 2 days of active shooter training. The district pays for that. This strikes a good balance, and gives them a chan e to do some range training beyond the LTC level.

:fire
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Jusme wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 6:58 pm
C-dub wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 4:27 pm

They may allow it now, there are some school districts who do so. I would rather see it become mandatory, especially since it is one measure that would not require spending additional money.
I would also like to see it be mandatory or to make it so public schools could not prohibit an LTC from carrying in schools.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Misfit Child

Post by Misfit Child »

C-dub wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:44 pm I would also like to see it be mandatory or to make it so public schools could not prohibit an LTC from carrying in schools.
If schools have to comply with ADA there's no reason to allow them to prohibit LTC.

jason812
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jason812 »

If schools have to allow LTC carry, does this mean zoos will become zoos again?
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Misfit Child

Post by Misfit Child »

jason812 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:50 pm If schools have to allow LTC carry, does this mean zoos will become zoos again?
Maybe schools will become zoos.

More than they are already.

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 5

Post by locke_n_load »

cyphertext wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:05 am
locke_n_load wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:11 pm How in the world can your son have the time and privacy to build a pipe bomb while living with you?
Seriously? Where your parents with you 24x7 when you were a teen? A couple of hours on the internet one day, a trip to home depot on another, then a couple of hours putting them together!

How do teens have enough privacy to drink? How do teens have enough privacy to get high? How do teens have enough privacy to get pregnant? You can't be with them 24x7.
I don't know if home depot has 100% everything you need to make a pipe bomb - the fertilizer they sell may not be the right concentration.
Well, I was at school from 8-4, then had sports practice from 4-6, home at 6:30, dinner, homework, then bed. So even though my parents weren't with me 24/7, I sure didn't have time to build any pipe bombs, or the money to. I didn't have time to drink much or do any drugs, and my parents knew where I was and who I was with 99% of the time. And I'm not really old - 30. It's called parenting, and doing it right isn't easy, fast, or cheap.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 5

Post by locke_n_load »

Misfit Child wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:54 pm
jason812 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:50 pm If schools have to allow LTC carry, does this mean zoos will become zoos again?
Maybe schools will become zoos.

More than they are already.
Reading into current events, they already are.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TreyHouston »

SewTexas wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 6:16 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:33 am
Grundy1133 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:07 pm
twomillenium wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:57 pm
Grundy1133 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:49 pm
LeonCarr wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:44 pm When are the Santa Fe shooter's parents, or any other mass shooter under 18's parents, going to be charged with making firearms accessible to minors?

Putting adults in jail for not keeping their firearms secure is a big step in the right direction.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
We live in a society where nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions so it's easier to blame an inanimate who can't defend itself.
In order to charge the parents then a law would have to be made up. He was 17, parents not required to lock up firearms from him.
if that's what needs to be done then so be it. I guarantee you if the parents were scared of going to jail, they'd be sure to keep their guns locked up which would in turn make it harder for these delinquents to get their hands on guns.
I disagree. TPC §46.13 should be repealed, rather than raise the prohibited age to 18 years. We cannot have laws that target a tiny fraction of people in any given subgroup to the extreme prejudice of an overwhelming majority of people within that subgroup. For every school shooter under age 17, there are hundreds of thousands of teenagers at home alone because their parent(s) are working. Why should a 15 year old girl at home alone be defenseless on the off-chance that one kid in many millions will engage in criminal misuse of a firearm? Doing so when violent home invasions are on the rise is unconscionable in my view.

I'm putting together a podcast on the Governor's Plan.

Chas.
exactly what Mr Cotton said! 11, 12 years ago when our house was broken into in Colorado Springs, on Easter Morning, we were all at Church. But the week before my 14 year old daughter had been home alone, sick. Our kids knew where we kept our guns and how to use them, and two weeks later when we got a gun safe we taught them the combo, the safe wasn't to keep our teens out of it, it was to keep bad guys out of it. Our guns were/are to keep our family safe.

btw, would you like to take a guess at how long it took to leave my kids home alone again? months....
I grew up in the country, 850 Acer's . Since I could remember I would take a 410 or .22 with me when I walked. There were coyotes, snakes, bobcats etc. There. Why should kids not be allowed to protect themselves?

Texas is not just CITY ....
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Return to “Governor's Abbott's "School and Firearm Safety Action Plan"”