Gov. Greg Abbott announced a new school safety plan and proposed changes to gun laws

Governor Abbott issued his Action Plan on May 30, 2019.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

roadkill
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gov. Greg Abbott announced a new school safety plan and proposed changes to gun laws

Post by roadkill »

cyphertext wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:07 pm
LeonCarr wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:44 pm When are the Santa Fe shooter's parents, or any other mass shooter under 18's parents, going to be charged with making firearms accessible to minors?

Putting adults in jail for not keeping their firearms secure is a big step in the right direction.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
So what about this story... Possibly very different outcome if the firearms were not accessible to minors...

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... 712908.php
And not a word about the bombs he made....

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Gov. Greg Abbott announced a new school safety plan and proposed changes to gun laws

Post by cyphertext »

Grundy1133 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:07 pm if that's what needs to be done then so be it. I guarantee you if the parents were scared of going to jail, they'd be sure to keep their guns locked up which would in turn make it harder for these delinquents to get their hands on guns.
Not all kids are delinquents... Few more examples where kids have used firearms to defend themselves, but hey, it's "for the children"..

https://lawnews.tv/examples-of-kids-usi ... hemselves/

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

roadkill wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:09 pm
LeonCarr wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:44 pm When are the Santa Fe shooter's parents, or any other mass shooter under 18's parents, going to be charged with making firearms accessible to minors?

Putting adults in jail for not keeping their firearms secure is a big step in the right direction.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
So what about this story... Possibly very different outcome if the firearms were not accessible to minors...

Huh? The story I linked is not about a school shooter or bombs... It's about a 15 year old son of a deputy who used his father's patrol rifle to protect himself and his sister while his parents were not at home...

roadkill

Post by roadkill »

cyphertext wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:13 pm
roadkill wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:09 pm

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Huh? The story I linked is not about a school shooter or bombs... It's about a 15 year old son of a deputy who used his father's patrol rifle to protect himself and his sister while his parents were not at home...
Was in response the quote you quoted. Just saying folks are concentrating on the gun angle and loosing sight that the Santa Fe kid had made bombs. All the gun control in the world will do diddly to stop or prevent a bombing.

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

SewTexas wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:09 pm

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
I'm not sure he is technically underage for be allow access to guns. We need to check it out. Abbott said something about it this afternoon....he said something about wanting the leg. to write clarifying language, or something to that effect, because right now it reads "under age 17" and it needs to read either "including age 17" or "under age 18". If I understood this part correctly, he was allowed access, I think?
PC 46.13 17 years or under, Federal Youth Handgun Safety Act 18 years or under. Yes, they need to have a common age.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

LeonCarr wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:24 pm
PC 46.13 17 years or under, Federal Youth Handgun Safety Act 18 years or under. Yes, they need to have a common age.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
If you run with that theory, then the age of possession and age of purchase should be the same as well.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScottDLS »

LeonCarr wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:24 pm
SewTexas wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:09 pm

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
I'm not sure he is technically underage for be allow access to guns. We need to check it out. Abbott said something about it this afternoon....he said something about wanting the leg. to write clarifying language, or something to that effect, because right now it reads "under age 17" and it needs to read either "including age 17" or "under age 18". If I understood this part correctly, he was allowed access, I think?

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
No, what we need is to eliminate the Federal law since it has no constitutional basis. :evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

DEB

Post by DEB »

I was also reading that one cannot have unloaded firearms accessible to minors or as they are trying to change this to, 18 years old. Prior to this, according to what Governor Abbot's reference, ammunition also had to have a play. Shoot, I joined the Army 8 days after I turned 17.
I have several old firearms hanging on my wall, if my grandchildren come by to visit, I have to remove said firearms, because what does accessible mean? It just takes someone that knows my love of firearms and my several collages I made, to put two and two together, and I could be a Felon? Ammunition is separate, I guess, as these are antique center fire pistols and rifles. But, to finish said collages, I was intending to purchase antique ammunition to show with them. This isn't just me, many of my friends hang their Grandfather's shotguns over the mantel and etc. Before anyone tells me not to worry and I am an Idiot for thinking this, look at California and the arrests and etc that are occurring. Also, the bit of storing, read locking, ammunition separate from the firearm, which also must be locked up. How does one put that requirement with the self-defense of the home?
When I go to sleep, I will have to unload and lock up my weapon? I think Governor Abbott, whom I have always supported, fell and hit his head. All of these rules to satisfy those, who no matter what, will detest Republicans and Freedom. All of my weapons being locked up, like in England, will not stop any active shooting. I have never even wanted to harm others, as long as they left me be. Are we to become California lite? All because of what the Media, the Democrats and their circus' created? Governor Abbott et al, needs to see what has changed in our society, to cause such a shift and shift it back to what's right. Is it drugs? Movies? Games? Lack of religious morals? I don't know for sure, but I do know what it was like previous to this shift, when we were able to have somewhat full freedom in carrying firearms to school, church or whatnot. Now it is I am Okay, You are Okay and their is no God, but me. I guess we will see for sure what is to come, especially since one of the biggest supporters of the 2nd Amendment is looking seriously into moving us to Gun Prohibitions of some sort. And that is exactly what these recommendations are, the prohibition of firearms to certain Texans and to all Texans in our own homes and how we treat our firearms.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

jason812
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jason812 »

Keep guns and ammo away from 17 year olds because they are children. When they shoot up a school, the same 17 year old is tried as an adult. I think the little thug should be hung but I also think there needs to be some consistency in the laws.

Like others have asked, why do LTC holders continue to be barred from carrying in a school? There's a small chance that a LTC holder would be at the school but it's better than zero chance.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Grundy1133 »

jason812 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:30 pm Keep guns and ammo away from 17 year olds because they are children. When they shoot up a school, the same 17 year old is tried as an adult. I think the little thug should be hung but I also think there needs to be some consistency in the laws.

Like others have asked, why do LTC holders continue to be barred from carrying in a school? There's a small chance that a LTC holder would be at the school but it's better than zero chance.
I visit my girlfriend at the school she works at occasionally. they call me in to do IT work every so often. and i think youd be surprised how many teachers have LTCs. if my gf will hurry and submit her application, she'd have one. and i know of at least 4 teachers who have an LTC but arent able to carry becuase of the stupid laws barring us from entering schools. its ridiculous we can walk around outside the school all day long. on the parking lots, the sidewalks, even up to the doors to the school. but as soon as we step inside we're breaking the law. it makes absolutely NO sense. if we wanted to break the law we'd do it regardless. It's a stupid ineffective law. it's like telling a child not to sneak cookies before dinner and then leaving the cookie jar open on the floor. if people wanted to break the law they would regardless of if they have a LTC or not... that being said, i think people with a LTC are extremely LESS likely to break the law... its a backwards law.
NRA Member

apostate

Post by apostate »

cyphertext wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:48 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:16 pm If I can't remember where I secured my gun, but it might be in a safe deposit box that I won't be able to get to for a couple weeks, should I report it just to be safe?
Is this really an issue for you? Do you have so many places that you secure your firearm, you might "forget" where you secured it?
I think the bigger issue is who decides I should have known it was stolen? I own guns I haven't seen in months. Would I be required to start doing weekly inventory reconciliation? What if I store one or more firearms at my parents house or a sibling's house for when I visit? What about the gun I "loaned" to a friend years ago?

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 5

Post by locke_n_load »

He was 17. If bent on a rampage, he will find a way. No gun safe or gun lock was going to stop him. I would want to punish the parents for failing at their main job - parenting. How in the world can your son have the time and privacy to build a pipe bomb while living with you?
I have a daughter - when she reaches 17, I want her to be able to protect herself at home if I am not there. But discipline and gun safety start at a very early age.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 5

Post by locke_n_load »

And I was very disappointed that the governor did not bring up armed licensed parents at all - they are already vetted by the state, let them carry.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

I'm failing to see the harm in requiring people to report a stolen firearm.

We were robbed several years ago. Within hours we had a preliminary list of missing things. Within 3 days we had the entire list. We submitted it to the insurance company within a week.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

jason812 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:30 pm Keep guns and ammo away from 17 year olds because they are children. When they shoot up a school, the same 17 year old is tried as an adult. I think the little thug should be hung but I also think there needs to be some consistency in the laws.

no, they aren't, if they were the death penalty would be on the table as would life. As it is according to Paxton the Santa Fe shooter may possibly get the max of 40 years unless some fancy footwork happens.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “Governor's Abbott's "School and Firearm Safety Action Plan"”