Stopping an active shooter - 40 Yard Handgun Shots

Personal practice/training stories, tips and questions. This is not a place for advertising courses or classes.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 7

Stopping an active shooter - 40 Yard Handgun Shots

Post by Paladin »

It's being called the Dicken Drill, after 22 yea old Elisjsha Dicken

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Stopping an active shooter - 40 Yard Handgun Shots

Post by AF-Odin »

Good video and good points. In Texas, the LTC course only goes out to 15 yards and many students have a bit of trouble at that range. The School Safety Course of fire has 10 rounds at 50 yards out of 170 total rounds in both the pre-test and the shooting under duress portion. When I first entered the AF, all of our pistol course of fire was at 25 yards, but over the years that evolved into varying distances and positions, but never went past 25 yards. Most of my personal drills are at 7 to 15, but maybe I need to start including at least some practice out to 50. Like the video said, you never know what hand you will be dealt.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Paladin wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:24 pm It's being called the Dicken Drill, after 22 year old Elisjsha Dicken
:thumbs2: :cheers2:

Actually, though, I think we need at least three additional evolutions to really make that a Dicken Drill:

1) Standing still, drawing from concealment, as shown in the video.
2) Same par time, but at the beep move off the "X" at least 3 feet while drawing.
3) Set par time to 12 seconds; for the third evolution run at least 30 yards total (can be up and back or in a circle) immediately before activating the shot clock; at the beep move off the "X" at least 3 feet while drawing.
4) Set par time to 14 seconds; for the last evolution run at least 30 yards total (can be up and back or in a circle) immediately before activating the shot clock; at the beep move off the "X" at least 3 feet while drawing; after 5 rounds move at least 3 feet to a different lateral position and complete remaining 5 shots.

The running is a poor-man's simulation of physiological fight-or-flight stress response. Your heart rate won't be a casual 68 beats per minute when confronting and active shooter. Could always include simulated cover and require movement to and utilization of that for the last 5 rounds in evolution #4. ;-)
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Rafe,

Totally agree that adding movement and physical stressors make the drill more realistic!!! :cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Paul Howe runs Pistol on steel at 80 yards (silhouette). That's a great test, because if you can do that you can get A-zone hits at 25 yards.

In my experience that kind of shooting separates the men from the boys. Outstanding shooters can hit a silhouette every time at 75-80 yards.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Reid Henrichs developed his own version:

I really enjoy drills based on real world scenarios!

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Twenty years ago it was called USPSA CM 99-09 Long Range Standards. Competitors either loved it or hated it, depending on wether they actually knew where to hold to hit at forty yards with their gun and ammo. A lot of them didn't....
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:34 pm Twenty years ago it was called USPSA CM 99-09 Long Range Standards. Competitors either loved it or hated it, depending on wether they actually knew where to hold to hit at forty yards with their gun and ammo. A lot of them didn't....
CM 99-09 Long Range Standards looks a little different, as you weren't shooting a concealed carry pistol from concealment and the strings of fire were shorter.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Garand Thumb: How to stop a Mass Shooter:

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

I used to shoot 50 yards timed in the old PPC matches.

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

A buddy and I were talking about shooting at distance a few years back, he said that he regularly practiced at 50 yards with his pistol and hit a 12"x12" steel plate...I had never done this and without calling him a liar I did... :biggrinjester: ...being the good sport that he is he took me to his range and we practiced with the 12"x12" steel plate....1st from 25 yards, then 35 and then finally at 50 yards...I was 4 out of 5 at 50 yards with my Kimber Compact Aluminum...I was GOBSMACKED! I stood quite corrected! It was a LOT of fun too. I aimed center of plate, maybe just above center...my miss was just a touch high - ie - assuming the plate was center of mass then the miss most likely would've been a head shot. I sincerely thought that I'd have to do some Kentucky Windage at that distance, especially with a short barrel. I was pleasantly surprised. It was truly eye-opening...and I kick myself for not doing this / training MUCH earlier (ie - in my 20's)! :tiphat:

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Paul Harrell has some good testing and discussion:

Return to “Training & Practice”