GORUCK Shooting Drills

Personal practice/training stories, tips and questions. This is not a place for advertising courses or classes.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 5

GORUCK Shooting Drills

Post by Paladin »

GARRET MACHINE, from the IDF, is showing how he likes to run shooting drills for both pistol and rifle:

WARNING LANGUAGE

WARNING LANGUAGE

Mixing fitness into the drill is not only good for your health, but makes it more realistic as well.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Paladin

Re: GORUCK Shooting Drills

Post by Paladin »

Made a few changes to some of these drills based on what targets I had on hand and ran similar rifle drills with my Airsoft AEG M4.

Found doing 10 pushups, or 10 lunges, or 10 squats before shooting didn't affect me that much. When I tried 10 burpees, 10 clapping pushups, or a 80 yard run, that made things measurably tougher, an took me a little more time to get accurate shots. Toughest was a 160 yard run before shooting from the standing position at a scaled 60 yard silhouette. Only achieved 70% accuracy on that one (my only misses out of 21 targets).

Tried the Squatting shooting position and while it was not as consistent for me as sitting, it is super fast to get into.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I'm liking this drill:

Impressive time!

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I like these type drills. The problem I have is that the ranges available to me would never allow these drills. They get jumpy if you dare fire more than one round every two seconds.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:22 pm I like these type drills. The problem I have is that the ranges available to me would never allow these drills. They get jumpy if you dare fire more than one round every two seconds.
I know those sorts of ranges well and don't like them either. Those ranges are literally banning realistic self defense practice.

Running the drills in your backyard with airsoft gets you most of it, at a lower price. Other than that its either a drive or gun club membership.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Paladin wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:38 pm I'm liking this drill:

Impressive time!
I tried out the drill with airsoft. With a single shot fired there shouldn't be much time difference between live fire and airsoft on this drill. Other modifications were that I lifted a 35lb plate instead of a 30lb backpack and was targeting a smaller 6 inch dot. If you're gonna do it, GO big! :fire

Warmed up a bit before, working on both draws for time and accuracy at speed. Then ran about ten iterations. Decent exercise! Lifting the plate did slow my speed a bit, but could still hit 1.55 sec. Got some more practice to do to beat Garret.

Return to “Training & Practice”