Got Caught Flat Footed

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 2

Got Caught Flat Footed

Post by Jim Beaux »

A few weeks ago, after hours, my wife and I stopped at the ATM . Its screen was reflecting the afternoon sun's glare intensely & I had to focus on trying to read the prompts. I had one hand blocking the glare and the other keying my info.

My wife shouted a warning that someone was coming up from behind us. When I saw him he was almost even with the bumper on my left side. He was dirty & unkempt with a bandana on his face and...my gun is holstered at my 4 O'clock. I was trapped - couldnt open my door and couldnt get to my gun.

At the last moment before I punched the gas, the clown stops and heads toward the other drive through lanes.

When I was able to assess the situation, I saw he was parked behind the car in the lane right of me. I think something blew out of his car & he was trying to retrieve it, or maybe he needed a deposit slip.

I generally have good situational awareness, especially at this particular bank as it has a history of incidents. I always check my surroundings, double so at drive-throughs and gas stations, but everything was working against me on that day. I am only a beneficiary of good luck. I am embarrassed.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Got Caught Flat Footed

Post by Tex1961 »

I read a story a while back about a guy, now retired who was in Afghanistan. He was a highly trained spec ops guy... Hand to hand, sniper, list goes on and one.. Multiple kills, multiple special operations to sneak in and take out the enemy... Well. during a brief firefight he caught one. It was a kid with an AK.. Could barely hold the gun up let alone shoot it, but no matter, he got hit and it ended his military career...

Goes to show that now matter how much we train and how observant we are, sometimes you just get caught....

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

It's great that you had your wife there to keep watch! Everyone gets task fixated or sleeps sometime. So having your family, dog, camera, or alarm keep watch when you can't is always helpful.

Drawing a pistol from the seated position in a car is a skill. Having a secondary firearm in the car can be beneficial.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

I'm glad all was well. ATMs should all face north to avoid the Sun reflecting on the screen.
Charlie

philip964

Post by philip964 »

When I was younger. They invented ATM’s. Shortly after that a woman was found tied to a tree in Houston. She had been tortured and murdered. Later a picture of a man taken by an ATM showing him taking money from the ATM and using the murdered woman’s card and her PIN number.

I decided then to never use an ATM and I haven’t.

Topic author
Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Paladin wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:28 pm It's great that you had your wife there to keep watch! Everyone gets task fixated or sleeps sometime. So having your family, dog, camera, or alarm keep watch when you can't is always helpful.

Drawing a pistol from the seated position in a car is a skill. Having a secondary firearm in the car can be beneficial.
One lesson learned----I will turn the car's (big screen) reverse camera on manually, and though it wouldnt have helped me in this particular instance, it would have helped my wife.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

ELB

Post by ELB »

One of the reasons I like appendix carry is that it's easy to access while seated, belted or not.

Overseas years ago we were warned of danger of terrorists using satchel charge simply laid on top of our vehicle (this was not in an official combat zone, just mideast cities). We were advised to consider unlocking our seatbelts whenever stopped in traffic or in line, so as to be able to exit more quickly if that happened. While it's a good idea to leave enough space to be able to drive away quickly, it's not always possible.

That stuck with me, when I'm at low- or no-speed areas like a drive thru, I undo the seatbelt. Not so much that I will leave the vehicle but much easier to look around, and to react, and/or draw if somebody unfriendly gets close and I can't drive away immediately.
USAF 1982-2005

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Glad it was not a worse situation. Whenever I have to use an ATM, I always unhook my seatbelt, and remove my gun from my holster. I try to avoid them whenever possible, Not many places where am I required to use cash. If I know I am going to need it, I make every effort to go withdraw money inside with a teller. If my wife is with me, I have her use the ATM, while I step out watching all possible approaches.
A little paranoia is a good thing JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Tex1961 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:16 pm I read a story a while back about a guy, now retired who was in Afghanistan. He was a highly trained spec ops guy... Hand to hand, sniper, list goes on and one.. Multiple kills, multiple special operations to sneak in and take out the enemy... Well. during a brief firefight he caught one. It was a kid with an AK.. Could barely hold the gun up let alone shoot it, but no matter, he got hit and it ended his military career...

Goes to show that now matter how much we train and how observant we are, sometimes you just get caught....
You might be thinking of Andy Stumpf, formerly of DEVGRU, who caught an AK round in the leg during a direct action raid in Afghanistan that ultimately ended his career. Although he did return to active duty, his injury permanently affected his ability to perform at his previous level, and he ultimately retired. The shooter was just a kid with an AK, but when telling the story, he very frankly says that, "on that day, the other guy was better than I was."
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Since the pandemic started, I try to avoid dealing with/handling cash. If I have to get cash, I'll walk in during business hours. If I have to go to the drive through ATM, my head is on a swivel and gun is already out with doors locked. I hate the way Bank ATM's/drive throughs are designed because they have a lot of blind spots.

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

I prefer walk up ATM's
With a loved one in the vehicle
Their instructions are:
If someone comes up behind me and you don't think I notice, then Honk.
Because IPSC shooters know what to do at the sound of the Beep!
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

When the need arises, you can conceal carry an Open gun with a big stick.
I've tried it.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”