Merry Chrtmas From the DPS

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
cxm
Posts in topic: 2

Merry Chrtmas From the DPS

Post by cxm »

Whilst heading toward my family home out of state with my wife and dog in the car, was stopped on I20 near mineola at about 05 and still semi dark. Trooper was behind a hill on the side of the road... though you could not really say he was hiding.

I was going about 79 in a 70 zone... so knew i was wrong...

Trooper (a Sgt. must have been working everyone for the Xmas holiday) walked up to the car.. by then I had inside lights on, window down and engine off... chl/dl in hand on the wheet...

He walked up and started his 7 point stop when he took a second look and said "you must have a CHL." I agreed handing him both the DL and CHL. He then told me I was speeding, I told him he was right and I should know better. He then said please wait a min and walked back to his car.

The trooper came back quickly, and gave me a warning... said he appreciated my having everything ready and lights on... told me to please slow down and have a Merry Christmas.

Hard to imagine how it could have gone better... the advice the DPS gives on how to handle a stope seems to work fine.

FWIW

Chuck
Last edited by cxm on Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hoist on High the Bonnie Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!

elwood blooz
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Stopped by State Trooper

Post by elwood blooz »

Merry Christmas from the DPS!

flintknapper
Banned

Re: Merry Chrtmas From the DPS

Post by flintknapper »

Feliz Navidad de la DPS!
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

I just had a thought. There must be a ton of chls getting stopped, and some ticketed.
So, I would like to thank all those that have gone before us. I also hope that like my license, and carry weapon that I hope to never use, that I also never have to produce DL, CHL , and insurance for a leo. :coolgleamA: :rules:

:lol:
Last edited by lrb111 on Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

FYI it's an 8 point traffice stop... ;-)
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

lionswrath79

Post by lionswrath79 »

I was driving that same stretch of road on Sunday and back on Christmas Eve, I have never seen so many DPS out in a two day period LOL!! Must have seen 7 or so from Tyler to Terrell.

Texican_gal

Post by Texican_gal »

The law finds many things on speeding stops (and tail lights out, etc.)

He was just making sure you didn't have a brick of hash in your lap, chipping off chunks, and your wife weighing them on the Ohaus scale in the passenger seat.

The CHL shows that you don't really have a history of doing this, so he can let you go quick and hunt for bigger game. :cheers2:

Gawd bless Texas. :woohoo

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 4

Post by txinvestigator »

Most Troopers I know have a 5MPH tolerance for speed limits 70 and up. There are many reasons you may have been warned at 9 over rather than written a ticket. I imagine your CHL had a lot to do with it, but we have also read of people getting cited who have CHLs.

It took him as long to write the warning as it would have a cite.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

txinvestigator wrote:Most Troopers I know have a 5MPH tolerance for speed limits 70 and up. There are many reasons you may have been warned at 9 over rather than written a ticket. I imagine your CHL had a lot to do with it, but we have also read of people getting cited who have CHLs.

I would gladly wait. If it took the trooper a whole 5 minutes..that is going to save me about $30.00 a minute in fine money. :mrgreen:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

flintknapper wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:Most Troopers I know have a 5MPH tolerance for speed limits 70 and up. There are many reasons you may have been warned at 9 over rather than written a ticket. I imagine your CHL had a lot to do with it, but we have also read of people getting cited who have CHLs.

I would gladly wait. If it took the trooper a whole 5 minutes..that is going to save me about $30.00 a minute in fine money. :mrgreen:
With you 100%. My point was that the warning did not get him back to the war on drugs any quicker than a ticket. ;)
*CHL Instructor*

texasag93

Post by texasag93 »

What is the 7 (or8) point stop?

Pardon the ignroance. I have been pulled over and I turn my engine off, lower my window, have DL (and no CHL) and insurance on the dash, interior light on, and hands resting on my door.

....or is it a process the LEO does?

thanks.

texasag
texasag93

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

texasag93 wrote:What is the 7 (or8) point stop?

Pardon the ignroance. I have been pulled over and I turn my engine off, lower my window, have DL (and no CHL) and insurance on the dash, interior light on, and hands resting on my door.

....or is it a process the LEO does?

thanks.

texasag
It is actually called a 7 step violator contact, and is how DPS teaches traffic stops. When done properly, it maintains the Adult-Adult ego states relationship.

1. Greeting identification of the police agency.
2. Statement of violation committed
3. Identification of driver and check of conditions of violator and vehicle
4. Statement of action to be taken. (Patrol officers should practice the technique of refraining from using the work “I� during the violator interview. Place the emphasis on the violator, and the violation committed, by using the word “you.� When the patrol officer states that, “I am going to...,� the action shifts from the violation committed to the action to be taken by the officer and affords the violator an opportunity to shift the blame from the offense committed to the action taken by the arresting officer. When the “you� technique is practiced, much unpleasantness is avoided)
5. Take that action
6. Explain what the violator must do.
7. Leave

(the above is from a TCLEOSE lesson plan)

This is in no way required by law, and no LEO or agency is under any obligation to follow it. I like it and used it.
*CHL Instructor*

MrsFosforos

Post by MrsFosforos »

lionswrath79 wrote:I was driving that same stretch of road on Sunday and back on Christmas Eve, I have never seen so many DPS out in a two day period LOL!! Must have seen 7 or so from Tyler to Terrell.
We were out that way on the Sunday before Christmas too, and saw 3 cars stopped by DPS within the same mile or two. Thankfully it was Mr Fosforos driving - he doesn't speed. I tend to have a heavier foot and we might have had an experience of our own to share.

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

In the Police Academy I went to in Houston we were taught an 8 point stop... Probably just something extra they threw in. Honestly I never went through my head and counted 8 points. I just made sure I did all I needed to do. Since seldom ever are all traffice stops the same, to me it didn't much matter. I followed a guideline but not a set of numbers :cool: .
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

xrod69

Post by xrod69 »

gret christmas present

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”