I got a CTW...story inside

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
gigag04
Posts in topic: 4

I got a CTW...story inside

Post by gigag04 »

In college station there many apartment complexes scattered all over. Thursday night, a buddy who was graduating on friday and I went to a hot tub at one of them apt's where we knew the code.

It's still early in the night (11 pm) and it is just us in the hot tub and 2 of our friends (fully clothed - swim suits) came by to say hello.

While we are hanging out, we see a bike cop roll up to the pool fence, then he manuevers his way in (clip in pedals made it dificult). He flips on his light (which was off...sneaky sneaky) and asks us if we have ID. My buddy and I both have a CHL but had niether licenses nor firearms on us.

I tell the officer I can go out to the truck and get it, and he said not to. I offer him my aggie ring as collateral that I wont burn off while I get them and he says we can just run the numbers. No problem here. They split us up and another officer took my buddy and I to process us and the original guy (who was kind of a tool) handled the girls.

Our new officer was hilarious - I comment on his night sights and he says they are great. We talk guns the whole time. He gets or DL#s and my buddy mentions we will both come up as CHL's but are obviously not carrying. Officer kind of chuckles.

All four of us get written up for Criminal Trespass warnings - which essentially means that we can't go in the hot tub THERE uninvited for another year.

Officer 2 - the one handling us was great, got his business done but had fun doing it with us. Officer 1 - the original busting officer was a tool.

It was an ok experience.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txinvestigator »

So YOU trespass but the officer was a tool? Maybe he is tired of people who lack consideration for property of other people, lack common courtesy and disregard law. Just a thought.

As an aside, there is no law that requires a person to carry any type of ID unless the person is driving a vehicle (Driver License required), carrying a Concealed handgun (CHL and either Texas DL or ID card), etc.

Sorry of I sound harsh, but it really bothers me to hear a LEO doing his job being described as a "tool" because he didn't act like your buddy when YOU caused the contact and were clearly doing wrong.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Tom

Post by Tom »

txinvestigator wrote:So YOU trespass but the officer was a tool? Maybe he is tired of people who lack consideration for property of other people, lack common courtesy and disregard law. Just a thought.

As an aside, there is no law that requires a person to carry any type of ID unless the person is driving a vehicle (Driver License required), carrying a Concealed handgun (CHL and either Texas DL or ID card), etc.

Sorry of I sound harsh, but it really bothers me to hear a LEO doing his job being described as a "tool" because he didn't act like your buddy when YOU caused the contact and were clearly doing wrong.
Indeed, but I don't know what the term "tool" even means in this context. However, I do agree with TX-I in
everything he said. Seems like a rather juvenile prank, much like I would have done (and did) at that age.

Kind Regards,

Tom

Diode

Post by Diode »

Good story...... Sounds like the LEO's handled it well.

Chris

Post by Chris »

friend of mine is a motor jock sgt in bryan. i feel for him. i know dealing with college kids day in and day out gets to be a pain. i mean, you're in college. right and wrong should have been learned long ago.

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

It wasn't so much that he wasn't my buddy that made him a tool - it was the huge lack of cordiality. And this wasn't a prank - it was a hot tub that is at a buddy of mines apt - but wasn't out there with us.

The second officer that handled us was polite, talkative, but most of all respectful. At no point did I disrespect the first officer, nor try and weasel our way out of getting a warning. The issue that got him labeled as "tool" was the fact that he was pretty rude during the entire incident. CSPD are great guys that deal with alot of rowdy college kids which I can understand - none of which describe me.

Maybe you guys won't understand, and that's fine. If I was really here to LEO bash, I probably would not be applying with both BPD and CSPD in 2 months.

So...please don't take it as LEO bashing...merely relaying the story. I meet tool'ish people on a daily basis in almost every job. Since this involves LEO contacts, only LEOs that happen to be tools would get mentioned.

To reassure anyone doubtful, I can describe a guy I interacted on campus with today...but I think that would be off topic.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Chris

Post by Chris »

gigag04 wrote: Maybe you guys won't understand, and that's fine. If I was really here to LEO bash, I probably would not be applying with both BPD and CSPD in 2 months.
being in the criminal trespass log is NOT going to look good.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Chris wrote:
gigag04 wrote: Maybe you guys won't understand, and that's fine. If I was really here to LEO bash, I probably would not be applying with both BPD and CSPD in 2 months.
My thoughts exactly
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Chris wrote:

They'll take into consideration that he's an Aggie, (takes them a little longer to catch on). :grin:

Hook 'em Horns!
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

MoJo wrote:
Chris wrote:
My thoughts exactly
Criminal Tresspass WARNING. I asked one of the LEOS what that matter and he said it wouldn't. He could be wrong.

Chris

Post by Chris »

gigag04 wrote:
MoJo wrote:
Chris wrote:
My thoughts exactly
Criminal Tresspass WARNING. I asked one of the LEOS what that matter and he said it wouldn't. He could be wrong.
your name is logged in a CRIMINAL file at the police department you are applying to, and it does matter. criminal trespass is a class B offense, but the person has to have prior notice that they are not allowed onto the property. that's where the log comes in. should you ever enter that property again, it's a class B offense. i don't normally put someone in the CT book unless the property owner demands that they never return. i also usually have the property owner tell this person they are forbidden as well. that's a lot more serious than the police just showing up and telling you to leave. it's not too terribly often that someone gets logged into the CT book.

you might think it's funny and all, but take it from a veteran cop, you don't want your name in a criminal file at the police department you are applying to. it doesn't mean you'll never get hired, but it does mean that you probably just squashed any chances you might have had for at least 2 years. the background is going to ask you if you've ever had any dealings with the police, and you will be required to list that incident. if you lie about it, or omit it, no agency will touch you...ever. if you say, "oh yea, that was a couple months ago," they are not going to look favorably on that, and you will wash out of the background investigation. most all agencies want any issues you had to be at least a few years behind you.

think about it, you are competing with several people for a couple of positions. people are going to be eliminated through the process. you just gave a bunch of other candidates a leg up on you. i'm just being straight up with you.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

I've been scratching my head about something...

How can a police officer issue a CTW where there is no interaction with a complainant? My understanding is that a CTW must be initiated by a property owner or responsible party.

When I was involved with a CTW, I was the one who had to tell the kid he could no longer come onto our property. My wife and I signed it, the kid signed acknowledging it, and the police took a copy to file.

I don't think police can initiate trespass complaints, at least not as a general rule. Clearly posted property might be an exception.

Kevin

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

KBCraig wrote:I've been scratching my head about something...

How can a police officer issue a CTW where there is no interaction with a complainant? My understanding is that a CTW must be initiated by a property owner or responsible party.

When I was involved with a CTW, I was the one who had to tell the kid he could no longer come onto our property. My wife and I signed it, the kid signed acknowledging it, and the police took a copy to file.

I don't think police can initiate trespass complaints, at least not as a general rule. Clearly posted property might be an exception.

Kevin
That's the way it has worked for me when young men are caught picking mushrooms in the pasture's I give them one warning and have the Police notify their parents if they are juveniles, if caught again a CTW is issued and I sign it and they do too, Thank goodness we haven't caught any again after the CTW has been issued.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

KBCraig wrote:I've been scratching my head about something...

Kevin
Apparently in Kollege station the apts can request officers to come by and cite people who are not tennants for using a hot tub w/o a resident present. I understant that they have to have a stricter set of rules than most towns, but some of the "ordinances" in CS are just rediculous...most don't apply to me since I'm not a rowdy party-crowd guy, but some stuff just gets old.

That said...I love this place. As an aside...my chances are higher getting hired by BPD because they are a civil service agency, ranking people on test scores, and then offer slots irregardless of TCLEOSE certs. It is more cost effective for CSPD to hire an already patrol ready candidate.

Anyway...hopefully we can all still be friends after my "fun" (not really) little story. I just wanted to list it as another encounter with LEOs...not start this big discussion - but it's been good.

-nick

Chris

Post by Chris »

gigag04 wrote: That said...I love this place. As an aside...my chances are higher getting hired by BPD because they are a civil service agency, ranking people on test scores, and then offer slots irregardless of TCLEOSE certs. It is more cost effective for CSPD to hire an already patrol ready candidate.

Anyway...hopefully we can all still be friends after my "fun" (not really) little story. I just wanted to list it as another encounter with LEOs...not start this big discussion - but it's been good.

-nick
don't be misled by that 'civil service' thing. the entrance exam is just that. you get points on background, and oral board. you could be the top candidate on a test, but washout on the background. they can eliminate you for any reason. particularly when they take non-certified applicants, the hiring pool is far greater than if they only take certified. be mindful of that and keep your nose clean.

given that, i think it's respectful that you didn't get too defensive when the wrongs were pointed out. you're going to make a lot of mistakes. live and learn.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”