Accident plus CHL friendly Houston PD

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
agbullet2k1
Posts in topic: 1

Accident plus CHL friendly Houston PD

Post by agbullet2k1 »

Well, my 10 year string of fortune ran out this morning as I was driving back from getting my wife's car serviced at the dealer. A lady driving in the middle lane made an sudden left turn, cutting through my lane. I had to swerve to avoid her, but unfortunately my wife's car ended up slamming sideways into the curb at 20 miles per hour. We were all ok, and lucky for me the lady stuck around, or else my insurance would be footing the bill.

Well an hour later HPD shows up, and cites her for improper lane change. I just happened to be carrying this morning, and kept rolling through my mind what to do when the officer showed up. Of course, to those who ask how to avoid the officer saying "where's your weapon" in front of everyone (in this case tow truck driver, other lady, witness), I would just say "please be discrete" when handing over the CHL. It worked for me as he pulled me aside and asked where it was. I informed him (right hip), and nothing more was said. When he handed back my ID and insurance papers at the end, he sandwiched the CHL in the middle so no one could see it.

Shameless plug: GEICO had the tow truck and rental car to me before HPD even showed up.
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

LittleGun

Re: Accident plus CHL friendly Houston PD

Post by LittleGun »

Good encounter with the police. I wonder how I will handle similar situations.

MTICop

Post by MTICop »

Great encounter. Sorry it had to be under those circumstances. I'm glad no one was hurt.
Adversity doesn't build character....it reveals it.

USAF (Retired)
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

ClarkLZeuss

Post by ClarkLZeuss »

agbullet2k1 wrote:Well, my 10 year string of fortune ran out this morning as I was driving back from getting my wife's car serviced at the dealer.
Double ouch! Sorry to hear about the timing of that. Glad you and everyone else are ok. Good tip on discretion and glad that worked out, too. Keep us posted on the repairs.
"Love always protects." (1 Corinthians 13:7)

redoregon

Post by redoregon »

agbullet2k1 wrote:Shameless plug: GEICO had the tow truck and rental car to me before HPD even showed up.
That is impressive!
NRA/TSRA member
7/11/09: training finished
8/4: app sent
8/12: check cashed
8/22: PIN received
8/24: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
9/28/09: Plastic in hand

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Glad all is ok...sorry for the car owie. You handled that well, and great idea about asking the LEO for discretion. You get an A+ in my book.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

dewayneward

Post by dewayneward »

I am glad that everything turned out Ok and no one was hurt.

I do have a question though, it it might be just a preferance thing, but why did you even care if the lady and the tow truck driver knew you were carrying? I could totally understand if it was business associates or people that you would see again and dont want them to know, again, these are people that you'll never see again.

Please know that I am not questioning what you did or think it is wrong, I just figure that I aint gonna see them again and so what if they know that I am carrying. Heck, it could be good publicity "man gets hit with car and DOESNT cause blood in the streets".
Col 2:8 See to it that no man takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men,according to the elementary principles of the world,rather than according to Christ.
austin received app 12/10
Processing app 12/22/08
App comp 1/26/09
Plastic in hand 1/30/09

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

:iagree:

I'd be more concerned if Geico found out I carried (if I were their customer) :roll:
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Rex B wrote::iagree:

I'd be more concerned if Geico found out I carried (if I were their customer) :roll:
My insurance company was fine with it as long as the guns combined value didn't exceed $2000 or they would have to put up the home premium. I still haven't figured that one out! :confused5
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

bryang

Post by bryang »

Sorry to hear about your accident, however, I am glad that no one was hurt. I think you handled everything well, and I am glad your encounter with LEO was a good one.

-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”