Pulled Over by DPS

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Symtex
Posts in topic: 3

Pulled Over by DPS

Post by Symtex »

I live in SA and work in Austin. With my long commute I tend to speed.
I was nailed by DPS on I35 Northbound right before I entered Kyle.
The officer approached my car and introduced himself as Officer XYZ, informed me of why he pulled me over and asked for my DL and proof of insurance.
I told him for my safety and his that I was a valid CHL holder and I was carrying my weapon on my person. He said fine and took my DL and Insurance. I did fail to give him my CHL and he never asked for it.
*** NOTE*** I am a NON commissioned Texas peace officer.
On my DL I have a sticker with info:
*** Medical Condition ***
blah blah blah
*I am an organ door
* Emergency Contact:
Jane Doe (WIFE)
(111)111-1111 (CELL)
TCLEOSE PID# 123456

He squinted to look at the sticker since it is small. He asked if I was a officer. I told him I was not commissioned at the time. He indicated I would be receiving a warning, and that it would not show up on my driving record and he would be right back. He was back in about 1 minute. He asked what kind of pistol I was carrying. I told him a Glock, and he nodded with approval, and told me to be safe. The whole incident lasted less than 3-4 minutes one we came to a stop. This is the first time I have been pulled over since I have had my CHL or graduated from the Police Academy. The PID# may have gotten me out of the ticket, who knows. But he was very polite and professional.
Last edited by Symtex on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

speedsix
Posts in topic: 19

Re: Pulled Over by DPS

Post by speedsix »

...so were you...and the $$ fits your pocket better'n Perry's!!! Glad it worked out in your favor...

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

If you don't have one already, it's time for you to buy
a high quality radar and laser (lidar) detector.

My recommendation is Valentine. It's got good range and
the arrow system points you in the direction of the speed-measuring
LEO.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

ZeeMan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ZeeMan »

Symtex wrote:
blah blah blah
*I am an organ door
* Emergency Contact:
Jane Doe (WIFE)
(111)111-1111 (CELL)
TCLEOSE PID# 123456
great ide on the sticker, I will certainly be making one of these when my new DL comes in (address change before CHL class :mrgreen: )

Topic author
Symtex

Post by Symtex »

Thanks.
I got the idea when I used to ride motorcycles. I had a bright orange laminated card attached to my jacket zipper that had a lot of info on it. If you get into accident or emergency situation they will always look for the ID.

ZeeMan wrote:
Symtex wrote:
blah blah blah
*I am an organ door
* Emergency Contact:
Jane Doe (WIFE)
(111)111-1111 (CELL)
TCLEOSE PID# 123456
great ide on the sticker, I will certainly be making one of these when my new DL comes in (address change before CHL class :mrgreen: )

Topic author
Symtex

Post by Symtex »

The Valentines are great. I had one, but someone decided that I needed to replace my window and he needed a new detector. I have not had the opportunity to replace it. I like the fact that you can upgrade the firmware with them.
surprise_i'm_armed wrote:If you don't have one already, it's time for you to buy
a high quality radar and laser (lidar) detector.

My recommendation is Valentine. It's got good range and
the arrow system points you in the direction of the speed-measuring
LEO.

SIA

gigag04
Posts in topic: 6

Post by gigag04 »

Lidar detectors are great predictors of traffic stops :clapping:

Detectors can help, but smart, pro-active officers can defeat detection easily. If I'm running moving radar I wont pop till I already have your speed estimated - same with with stationary too. Radar readings are faster than Lidar, and faster than the time it takes to hear/see your alert and slow down. I rarely write speeding tickets so I'm not a good authority, but I always ask about a violator's detector, if I see one. From what I've heard you get what you pay for.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

jmra

Post by jmra »

I've discovered the best way to beat a ticket is to drive the speed limit. After all we are CHL holders - we are law abiding citizens. :smash:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

speedsix
Posts in topic: 19

Post by speedsix »

...and hoomin beans, too...that's why God gave us radar detectors... ;-)

tallmike
Posts in topic: 4

Post by tallmike »

When I was a bit younger I had an officer that pulled me over say "I probably would have written a warning, but I see you already had one" and he motioned toward the radar detector on my dash. I took it out after that, it didn't seem to help me enough to make it worth it if the cops wouldnt give me a warning anymore.

Now, I just try to drive slow enough to avoid having to talk to the cops at all.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

gigag04 wrote:Lidar detectors are great predictors of traffic stops :clapping:

Detectors can help, but smart, pro-active officers can defeat detection easily. If I'm running moving radar I wont pop till I already have your speed estimated - same with with stationary too. Radar readings are faster than Lidar, and faster than the time it takes to hear/see your alert and slow down. I rarely write speeding tickets so I'm not a good authority, but I always ask about a violator's detector, if I see one. From what I've heard you get what you pay for.
:iagree:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

Symtex wrote:Thanks.
I got the idea when I used to ride motorcycles. I had a bright orange laminated card attached to my jacket zipper that had a lot of info on it. If you get into accident or emergency situation they will always look for the ID.
Also...

In your mobile phone, set up a contact called "ICE - XXXXX" (where XXXXX = the name of your In Case of Emergency contact)...

There are many smartphone applications that hold emergency/contact/medical data, etc...
Here's just one... http://www.androlib.com/android.applica ... -jqpz.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Keith B
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Keith B »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Symtex wrote:Thanks.
Also...

In your mobile phone, set up a contact called "ICE - XXXXX" (where XXXXX = the name of your In Case of Emergency contact)...

There are many smartphone applications that hold emergency/contact/medical data, etc...
Here's just one... http://www.androlib.com/android.applica ... -jqpz.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is a good method for letting EMS know your emergency contacts. However, this will only work if you don't have a password on your phone to get to the contact list, otherwise there will be no way for them to get into the phone to see the information.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Speeding puts everyone at greater risk.

Speeding is extremely selfish - Consider the rest of humanity and quit speeding ...

I'll step off my soapbox, but I'm serious about what I stated.

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Scott in Houston »

I have run with a V1 for years. For laser, they're useless. For radar, they work the best, but as was said above, they can be defeated...
However, a driver that drives as if they do not have one at all will stay ticket free.

I recommend those with children think about what 'message' you're sending by using one.
I took mine down when I started to think about that. My daughter was only 2 and kept asking why it would go off. When I noticed that I couldn't answer honestly without sounding like a crook, I removed it.

BTW, anyone who wants to buy a Valentine 1 and does not have children, let me know. :)

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”