Motorcycle Lighting Question for LEO

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
gemini
Posts in topic: 19

Re: Motorcycle Lighting Question for LEO

Post by gemini »

trdvet wrote:State law allows LE in Texas to enforce the federal lighting code. This is what they use for non-approved equipment.
547.3215 FEDERAL STANDARD

Unless specifically prohibited by this chapter, lighting, reflective devices, and associated equipment on a vehicle or motor vehicle must comply with:

(1) the current federal standards in 49 C.F.R. Section 571.108; or

(2) the federal standards in that section in effect,
if any, at the time the vehicle or motor vehicle was manufactured.
Per DPS:
Vehicle lighting equipment is covered in Chapter 547 of the Texas Transportation Code, Subchapter D. § 547.3215 - Use of Federal Standard. Unless specifically prohibited by this chapter, lighting, reflective devices, and associated equipment on a vehicle or motor vehicle must comply with:
• the current federal standards in 49 C.F.R. Section 571.108; or
• the federal standards in that section in effect, if any, at the time the vehicle or motor vehicle was manufactured.
The CFR will refer you to Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) #J578, which will refer to several other SAE standards. Everything that complies with those standards is "legal".
I was unable to find anything “illegal” about down lighting being added to a M/C.
Did I miss a specific rule or prohibition of M/C down lights? I found the Federal rules
mainly concerned with light output, size, location, color, type for original equipment and
longitudinal axis/horizontal plane projection requirements.
49 C.F. R. Section 571,108 : http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2004-t ... 71-108.xml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

I can't recall where I found it and all the information, but when HID headlights began being popular I wondered if they were legal. Specifically my question was about replacing the bulbs in the factory headlight assembly with HID's. I remember it seeing a federal standard that it was illegal to use the wrong bulb in the DOT approved lens/light assembly and somewhere on the lens was a code for the correct bulb. I don't think "illegal" lights are a high priority with LEO's and inspections stations mostly pass any thing. There are also "glaring light' statutes but about in in my town have high wattage driving and replacement parking lights that are blinding to the point they out shine the headlight. There are laws about those light beams extending past a certain point but it's all ignored in my town and on the highways. I make many, many trips to DFW and SA and I amazed at the variety of head and tail light I see. Pink, blue, yellow head lights, blue parking lights, black tail light covers. The latest thing I've been seeing is a wide light bar with to over a hundred LED bulbs array some in the grill some on the spoiler and a couple that were on truck headache racks that must have had a couple of hundred intense LED bulbs. All these things have blindingly intense LED's. In my mind they violate even the simplest rule regarding limiting the number of lights on the front of a vehicle to 8. It's also illegal to have driving lights (KC) turned on above the cab on public roadways. I even seem to remember they were to be covered when not off road. Just not a big deal for DPS and my local PD with bigger fish to fry.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

puma guy wrote:I can't recall where I found it and all the information, but when HID headlights began being popular I wondered if they were legal. Specifically my question was about replacing the bulbs in the factory headlight assembly with HID's. I remember it seeing a federal standard that it was illegal to use the wrong bulb in the DOT approved lens/light assembly and somewhere on the lens was a code for the correct bulb. I don't think "illegal" lights are a high priority with LEO's and inspections stations mostly pass any thing. There are also "glaring light' statutes but about in in my town have high wattage driving and replacement parking lights that are blinding to the point they out shine the headlight. There are laws about those light beams extending past a certain point but it's all ignored in my town and on the highways. I make many, many trips to DFW and SA and I amazed at the variety of head and tail light I see. Pink, blue, yellow head lights, blue parking lights, black tail light covers. The latest thing I've been seeing is a wide light bar with to over a hundred LED bulbs array some in the grill some on the spoiler and a couple that were on truck headache racks that must have had a couple of hundred intense LED bulbs. All these things have blindingly intense LED's. In my mind they violate even the simplest rule regarding limiting the number of lights on the front of a vehicle to 8. It's also illegal to have driving lights (KC) turned on above the cab on public roadways. I even seem to remember they were to be covered when not off road. Just not a big deal for DPS and my local PD with bigger fish to fry.
Okay, gotcha. I install aftermarket lights all the way around on my trucks, and I follow all Texas rules and laws. I was nust curious where you recieved this information. There's a lot of things that we do here in Texas that could probably be a federal offense, but my auxilary lights not having covers is not something that I am going to be arrested for any time soon. I you happen to stumble across the code you saw, post it for me please, it ought to be an entertaining read. :lol::
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:
puma guy wrote:I can't recall where I found it and all the information, but when HID headlights began being popular I wondered if they were legal. Specifically my question was about replacing the bulbs in the factory headlight assembly with HID's. I remember it seeing a federal standard that it was illegal to use the wrong bulb in the DOT approved lens/light assembly and somewhere on the lens was a code for the correct bulb. I don't think "illegal" lights are a high priority with LEO's and inspections stations mostly pass any thing. There are also "glaring light' statutes but about in in my town have high wattage driving and replacement parking lights that are blinding to the point they out shine the headlight. There are laws about those light beams extending past a certain point but it's all ignored in my town and on the highways. I make many, many trips to DFW and SA and I amazed at the variety of head and tail light I see. Pink, blue, yellow head lights, blue parking lights, black tail light covers. The latest thing I've been seeing is a wide light bar with to over a hundred LED bulbs array some in the grill some on the spoiler and a couple that were on truck headache racks that must have had a couple of hundred intense LED bulbs. All these things have blindingly intense LED's. In my mind they violate even the simplest rule regarding limiting the number of lights on the front of a vehicle to 8. It's also illegal to have driving lights (KC) turned on above the cab on public roadways. I even seem to remember they were to be covered when not off road. Just not a big deal for DPS and my local PD with bigger fish to fry.
Okay, gotcha. I install aftermarket lights all the way around on my trucks, and I follow all Texas rules and laws. I was nust curious where you recieved this information. There's a lot of things that we do here in Texas that could probably be a federal offense, but my auxilary lights not having covers is not something that I am going to be arrested for any time soon. I you happen to stumble across the code you saw, post it for me please, it ought to be an entertaining read. :lol::
:lol: I agree you're not likely to get arrested for that sort of thing. I have searched for the info or a link several times with no success. Sometimes I think I'm getting senile and just imagined it "rlol" . I am extremely sensitive to bright lights at night due to taking my ophthalmologist's recommendation for multi-focus intra-ocular lens implants. I think they were called ReStor. He told me the bullseye appearance and intensification of light issues/problems with the implants had been solved. NOT! I just try to look away but eventually I think my night driving will be kaput! The new LED light bars are impossible to ignore. The lens also affect my shooting because I see multiple images of the sights. I just concentrate on the darkest images among them. He also told me I'd never need glasses again. Another lie!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

puma guy wrote:
Charlies.Contingency wrote:
:lol: I agree you're not likely to get arrested for that sort of thing. I have searched for the info or a link several times with no success. Sometimes I think I'm getting senile and just imagined it "rlol" . I am extremely sensitive to bright lights at night due to taking my ophthalmologist's recommendation for multi-focus intra-ocular lens implants. I think they were called ReStor. He told me the bullseye appearance and intensification of light issues/problems with the implants had been solved. NOT! I just try to look away but eventually I think my night driving will be kaput! The new LED light bars are impossible to ignore. The lens also affect my shooting because I see multiple images of the sights. I just concentrate on the darkest images among them. He also told me I'd never need glasses again. Another lie!
Yikes, you sure do have a complicated situation. I'm not even sure what to say, how bout another round? :cheers2:

I'm only see out of one eye, yet it sounds like your vision is worse than mine. :shock:
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

winters
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by winters »

I know everyone really likes to light up there bike like a Christmas tree. The problem is police enforce the law 1000 different ways and depending on their current level of stress. I have decided remaining with the factory lights and not adding anything additional keeps me under the radar. I ride a Honda vfr I already get grouped into the sport bike category by anyone who knows nothing about motorcycles which is quite a large percentage of the population.

Topic author
gemini

Post by gemini »

winters wrote:I know everyone really likes to light up there bike like a Christmas tree. The problem is police enforce the law 1000 different ways and depending on their current level of stress. I have decided remaining with the factory lights and not adding anything additional keeps me under the radar. I ride a Honda vfr I already get grouped into the sport bike category by anyone who knows nothing about motorcycles which is quite a large percentage of the population.
I've seen some touring bikes/baggers that really were lit up like a Christmas tree. Not particularly my taste in lighting.
However, a few hidden LED strands lighting the ground/engine area is quite different.
I thought a Honda VFR was a sportbike. Did you make it a bagger? Add a touring bike suspension or seat?
My interaction with PoPo (three times in the last 40 years) has always been positive. Keep your front wheel on the
ground and don't worry about the radar :biggrinjester: .

winters
Banned

Post by winters »

gemini wrote:
winters wrote:I know everyone really likes to light up there bike like a Christmas tree. The problem is police enforce the law 1000 different ways and depending on their current level of stress. I have decided remaining with the factory lights and not adding anything additional keeps me under the radar. I ride a Honda vfr I already get grouped into the sport bike category by anyone who knows nothing about motorcycles which is quite a large percentage of the population.
I've seen some touring bikes/baggers that really were lit up like a Christmas tree. Not particularly my taste in lighting.
However, a few hidden LED strands lighting the ground/engine area is quite different.
I thought a Honda VFR was a sportbike. Did you make it a bagger? Add a touring bike suspension or seat?
My interaction with PoPo (three times in the last 40 years) has always been positive. Keep your front wheel on the
ground and don't worry about the radar :biggrinjester: .
sport touring with out the cruiser look. not a full sport bike but goes fast enough.

Should get one of those Honda 919's that's a sleeper bike. no fairings basic plain look. 1100cc performance engine.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

winters wrote: I ride a Honda vfr I already get grouped into the sport bike category by anyone who knows nothing about motorcycles which is quite a large percentage of the population.
Count me in as part of that population. In a pinch, you might talk me into sport-touring, but it's on the sportbike side...

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 5

Post by E.Marquez »

cb1000rider wrote:
winters wrote: I ride a Honda vfr I already get grouped into the sport bike category by anyone who knows nothing about motorcycles which is quite a large percentage of the population.
Count me in as part of that population. In a pinch, you might talk me into sport-touring, but it's on the sportbike side...
Count me in as part of that population as well, oh and the Manufacture of the VFR http://powersports.honda.com/street/sport.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As well as by anyone who knows anything about motorcycles which is quite a large percentage of the population :thumbs2:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

winters
Banned

Post by winters »

Well if you ride a CBR/r1/gxsr/ninja then ride my bike you will quickly find out a vfr is like riding a couch compared to those.

The problem with the hid lighting is the people who put them in reflector housing and not projectors. ofcourse everyone calls them "those blue lights" which depending on the kelvin rating do look more blue. But regular halogens are almost yellowish. I have 4300k hids in my car and everyone tells me they look white compared to everything else. But I also aim them slightly lower to keep them from glaring the heck out of people.

trdvet

Post by trdvet »

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... ill=SB1918

Coming down the pipe, unless the Gov vetoes it.
Sec. 547.306

LED GROUND EFFECT LIGHTING EQUIPMENT ON MOTORCYCLE

(a)In this section, "LED ground effect lighting equipment" means light emitting diode (LED) technology that is attached to the underbody of a motorcycle for the purpose of illuminating:

(1)the body of the motorcycle; or
(2)the ground below the motorcycle.
(b)A person may operate a motorcycle equipped with LED ground effect lighting that emits a non-flashing amber or white light.

This Act takes effect September 1, 2015.

Topic author
gemini

Post by gemini »

wondering if someone got ticketed for using white or amber specifically. Since the
Bill / Analysis doesn't forbid other colors (purple, green etc). It just says white/amber is ok.
and the purpose: Safety.

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

I've been wondering about the white or amber, and whether that does mean that no other colors are allowed.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

trdvet

Post by trdvet »

Glockster wrote:I've been wondering about the white or amber, and whether that does mean that no other colors are allowed.
That's how I read it, white or amber (non flashing). It specifically mentions LEDs, what if you have neons? Surprised they made it so narrow.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”