Austin Capitol Security

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
possom
Posts in topic: 1

Austin Capitol Security

Post by possom »

Hi all. Wanted to share this weekends experience at our great capitol.

This past weekend my wife and I celebrated our 1 year anniversary in Austin. I've been to Austin several times but never visited the capitol grounds, so we had to go check it out.

We were in line just outside the door. As we made it through the entrance and I saw metal detectors, xrays, and several DPS officers. My CHL is expired, I've completed my renewal course, and paperwork is in the mail (possibly being processed somewhere in the building i am entering? ;) So, I am not carrying but my weapon is in the car (always on long trips).

None of this concerns me, until I realized I had a loaded magazine, that i removed from the weapon when leaving the car, in my backpack. I decide passing my bag through the xray was probably a bad idea, and prepared to notify the officer as I approached.

Holding the magazine and a pocket knife in one hand, I present it to an officer and quietly informed her:

"I have this loaded magazine but am not carrying a weapon"

Not completely shocked (this is going well so far i think... definitely better than them seeing it on xray) she takes it from me, examines it, and asks "Why?"

"I am a CHL holder, but my weapon is in the car. May I enter with this?"

She tells informs me there is another line for CHL holders and I can walk over to it.

I tell her my CHL is currently expired, and repeat that I am do not have a weapon in my possession, only this magazine.

She asks "Why would you leave your weapon in the car and carry the magazine? Please move to the CHL line."

I obey and speak with another officer now, who asks for my CHL. I had to explain again, I inform her I do not posses a weapon and I have this magazine, and again that my CHL is expired, my paperwork is in and I am waiting for it in the mail. I have chosen to unload my weapon, rather than leave it loaded in the car on the streets of Austin.

She takes the items, and waves me through the metal detector, without a beep, and asks "Why?".

I admit some ignorance here, but at this point I was frankly surprised entering with a weapon was even allowed. There was no surprise or shock by the officers, they were very professional until this officer tells me:

"You know you are in violation right now. I am going to let this pass, but you can not be carrying a firearm with an expired license. Once it is renewed, next time, you can come straight to this line"

She hands me the magazine and the knife and we enter and enjoy exploring the capitol.

Overall, went well. Glad I didn't have to walk back to the car to deposit the mag, or worse... but I was frustrated that a DPS officer told me I was "in violation". I knew she was wrong, unless she assumed I was illegally carrying elsewhere ( i have not, would not, and do not). I knew having the weapon in my vehicle was not illegal. This had me questioning the renewal laws.. like.. do i HAVE to renew my license.. once licensed, are you never allowed to have a gap of expiration? I was pretty certain this was not the case but not until I got home and looked it up did I confirm I was right.

Next time I'll be carrying, to avoid all the "whys?" and ... that line was muuuch shorter;)

tornado
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Austin Capitol Security

Post by tornado »

Agreed, their reaction was odd. Glad it all went well for you otherwise.

I have to add -- the last time I went to the capitol was with a school group, and it felt really weird not going through the CHL line that time.

tornado
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tornado »

And I see that you may have just claimed the record for the longest time between first & second posts on this forum! :shock: Welcome back -- or at least, welcome back out of lurking.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

They had to be looking at you and wonder why the magazine with no gun :lol: ..they probably posted on citizen bloopers the contact as well...

A-R
Posts in topic: 1

Post by A-R »

texanjoker wrote:They had to be looking at you and wonder why the magazine with no gun :lol: ..they probably posted on citizen bloopers the contact as well...
Omg please tell me such a web site actually exists and send me a link ...

:drool:

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”