McLennan Asst. DA has ND inside a courthouse classroom.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Blindref757
Posts in topic: 1

McLennan Asst. DA has ND inside a courthouse classroom.

Post by Blindref757 »

http://www.kxxv.com/story/23876426/asst ... courthouse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

McLennan County District Attorney Abel Reyna is not happy after one of his staff accidentally fired a gun inside the courthouse complex Monday.

Assistant D-A Michael Jarrett apparently didn't think the gun was loaded when he pulled the trigger, and the bullet blew out a window in an office and hit a brick wall nearby.

"I'm the only one in this room that is professionally trained to carry this" BANG!

Where is your sign?

jmra

Re: McLennan Asst. DA has ND inside a courthouse classroom.

Post by jmra »

If anything good comes out of this it will be much needed additional firearm training for a certain employee.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Waco1959

Post by Waco1959 »

ChoqPOC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ChoqPOC »

What ever happned to... Check, Re-check, Triple Check. The gun is always loaded unless you've CHECKED and visually inspected that it's clear. :banghead:
"Be so good, They can't ignore you"
CHL: May 2013 | NRA Member

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Yes, pulling the trigger is a very accurate way to determine if a gun is loaded. However, unlike the other method, it tends to make the newspapers.

The test to determine if a gun is loaded is immaterial as we all know that a gun is always loaded. It is like Schrodinger's cat.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

If you guys will read the second link's posting, it says that the unfortunate Asst-DA asked the owner of the new Glock .40 (also another Asst-DA) whether it was loaded, and the owner said "no", so the party of the first-part (the shooter) did a press-check and didn't see anything in the chamber.
Jarrett pulled back the slide, he said, to double-check if it was loaded and didn’t see a bullet slide into the chamber.
So , IMHO his boss should provide him (in this order):
1. A citation for discharging a firearm within city limits
2. a letter of reprimand for unsafe handling of a firearm within county offices
3. a bill for the damage (why should the taxpayers pay for this)
4. better office lighting
5. an appointment with an optometrist

:smash: "rlol"
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

ChoqPOC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ChoqPOC »

I unfortunately couldn't access the 2nd link, the silly advertisement wouldn't go away.

Nonetheless - when handing someone your firearm, you should ALWAYS point the fiream in a safe direction, THEN remove the magazine, NEXT lock the slide back and FINALLY inspect the chamber. Press check is great for validating that your round is properly in the chamber, but for verifying that one isn't in the chamber... I strongly suggest the aformentioned.

:thumbs2: error proof.
"Be so good, They can't ignore you"
CHL: May 2013 | NRA Member

gemini

Post by gemini »

ChoqPOC wrote:I unfortunately couldn't access the 2nd link, the silly advertisement wouldn't go away.

Nonetheless - when handing someone your firearm, you should ALWAYS point the fiream in a safe direction, THEN remove the magazine, NEXT lock the slide back and FINALLY inspect the chamber. Press check is great for validating that your round is properly in the chamber, but for verifying that one isn't in the chamber... I strongly suggest the aformentioned.

I have never been a fan of "press check", for validating or verifying anything regarding a firearm.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

ChoqPOC wrote:I unfortunately couldn't access the 2nd link, the silly advertisement wouldn't go away.

Outside of a serious situation, I don't think you should ever hand a loaded gun to anyone.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

n5wd wrote:If you guys will read the second link's posting, it says that the unfortunate Asst-DA asked the owner of the new Glock .40 (also another Asst-DA) whether it was loaded, and the owner said "no", so the party of the first-part (the shooter) did a press-check and didn't see anything in the chamber.
Jarrett pulled back the slide, he said, to double-check if it was loaded and didn’t see a bullet slide into the chamber.
So , IMHO his boss should provide him (in this order):
1. A citation for discharging a firearm within city limits
2. a letter of reprimand for unsafe handling of a firearm within county offices
3. a bill for the damage (why should the taxpayers pay for this)
4. better office lighting6
5. an appointment with an optometrist

Great list!

Suggested additions:

6. Training in how to determine whether or not a gun is loaded for both the owner and the shooter.
7. Training in how to prepare a gun for inspection by another (magazine out, slide locked back, chamber verified empty visually and by feel).

:smash: "rlol"
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Frankie

Post by Frankie »

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by Frankie on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

In all reality if this was an ASSISTANT DA then it was an ATTORNEY, not a law enforcement officer that fired the gun. So this should be classified in the ATTORNEY blooper section :rolll

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

texanjoker wrote:In all reality if this was an ASSISTANT DA then it was an ATTORNEY, not a law enforcement officer that fired the gun. So this should be classified in the ATTORNEY blooper section :rolll
"rlol" "rlol" "rlol"
I agree!!!!
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”