Alamo Heights: Officer fatally shoots student

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 3

Alamo Heights: Officer fatally shoots student

Post by seamusTX »

In Alamo Heights (San Antonio area) Friday at about 2 a.m. a police officer with the University of the Incarnate Word stopped a vehicle for alleged erratic driving. One thing led to another, and the driver, a 23-year-old student, was fatally shot.

According to a witness, as quoted in the San Antonio Express-News:
“I heard (a man) say, 'Oh, you're gonna shoot me?' like sarcastic almost,”
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/ ... 040968.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably just a misunderstanding.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Alamo Heights: Officer fatally shoots student

Post by johncanfield »

Heard on the SA news that the school LE agency does not issue tasers, also the LEO was not on school grounds when he made the traffic stop :headscratch .
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

jmra

Post by jmra »

Over the course of Carter's eight-year law career in Texas, he has held nine jobs at eight agencies, including two stints at the Bexar County Sheriff's Office, files kept by the state agency for licensing peace officers show.

This seems odd.

I don't think this one is going to fade into the background anytime soon. This was not some crackhead kid "turning his life around".
He was on the dean's list in fall 2012 and spring 2013...grew up in Baytown, where he graduated as co-valedictorian from Baytown Christian Academy.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

johncanfield wrote:... the LEO was not on school grounds when he made the traffic stop
With a few limitations and fine print, all certified Texas LEOs have statewide jurisdiction. Game wardens can stop a vehicle for expired registration. You can be proned out, cuffed, and/or shot for a burned out license plate light.

I'm sure this is what George Washington fought for and Nathan Hale hanged for.

- Jim

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 2

Post by johncanfield »

One of the TV reporters asked another department representative (probably the jurisdiction of the traffic stop) if that LEO in question had authorization for the stop and they didn't know :headscratch
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Cops aren't lawyers (generally—maybe a few are), and police spokesmen say only what they are authorized to say—which is simply their job description.

- Jim

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The article includes a statement to the media by a neighbor who heard statements apparently made by both the officer and the subject that indicate there was a struggle and the subject was resisting something. Whether it was an arrest, frisk, search, is anyone's guess at this point.

Chas.

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Can one "bounce around" that freely in this community without raising any concerns?
How does one "radio for help" during a struggle and "discharge a firearm" at the same time with only 2 hands?
III

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

rbwhatever1 wrote:Can one "bounce around" that freely in this community without raising any concerns?
How does one "radio for help" during a struggle and "discharge a firearm" at the same time with only 2 hands?

How does one radio for help during a struggle and discharge a firearm? Pretty easy :thumbs2: LEO's need to be familiar with all their gear and know how to get it out when they need it. If they can't they better learn how to do that because not knowing could be fatal. Heck a CHL holder should know how to get their gear out during a struggle.
Last edited by texanjoker on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

paperchunker
Posts in topic: 1

Post by paperchunker »

seamusTX wrote:
johncanfield wrote:... the LEO was not on school grounds when he made the traffic stop
With a few limitations and fine print, all certified Texas LEOs have statewide jurisdiction. Game wardens can stop a vehicle for expired registration. You can be proned out, cuffed, and/or shot for a burned out license plate light.

- Jim
:iagree:
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

A-R

Post by A-R »

seamusTX wrote:You can be proned out, cuffed, and/or shot for a burned out license plate light.

- Jim

?????

you can also be shot by a CHL holder for looking at him funny ... doesn't means it's right nor that it will go unpunished. And neither scenario is remotely likely.

What was the point of this broad statement?

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

The other day when I checked new/unread posts on the forum as a whole, 8 or nine of 30ish threads had LEO, Police, Cop, or officer in the title.

Seems there is little we haven't discussed or decided already about LEOs. This will be my only contribution to this one.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

An officer can bounce around a lot if they work as a reserve for various agencies before getting hired permanently by a department.

As for shooting and radioing, I had a speaker microphone in one had, gun in the other while wrestling a subject to the ground when I was a LEO. It wasn't graceful by either of us, but I did get backup radioed for and incapacitated the subject. Luckily I didn't have to shoot him.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

gigag04 wrote:The other day when I checked new/unread posts on the forum as a whole, 8 or nine of 30ish threads had LEO, Police, Cop, or officer in the title.
I've noticed this trend also and none of them have had anything to do with CHLs interaction with a LEO. If it continues, we'll probably do something to limit the discussions to those that have some relevancy to CHL.

The Forum isn't going to become a place to evaluate/second guess/critique LEO actions throughout Texas, much less throughout the entire U.S.

Chas.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

A lot of the walkies that police and fire use have an orange or red button that when pressed sends out a distress code.

A deputy sheriff friend of mine was trying to cuff a 90 pound "lady of the evening" when she tried to grab his gun. The only thing he could do was hang on to the cuffs and protect his gun. He hit the button and hoped help got there before somebody got shot. Within three minutes he said there were four city cops three deputies and a DPS trooper there to lend a hand. Needless to say, the "lady" who was being picked up for a misdemeanor warrant wound up with a felony resisting arrest charge added. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”