Police Academy Adventures

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 193

Police Academy Adventures

Post by nightmare69 »

Starting this thread as a blog of my time in the police academy. A little background on myself, Im 29yrs old and after working for a large public school as a maintenance technician for nearly 10yrs I decided I wanted to get into the law enforcement field. So I got sponsored and got in with the East Texas Police Academy.

The academy runs from January 27th through May 30th, 18 weeks, 720hrs.

At ETPA you must score 80% or higher to pass, make a 79 on a test and fail. There will be a test every Friday so 18 test total. You can fail 1 test and they will give you a chance to re-take that test, fail that test again or any other test and they kick you out of the academy. So fail 2 tests and its bye bye for you, God help me. Granted this is all stuff Ive heard from the academy and others who have graduated, Im sure I will have more information tomorrow.

Im going to do my best and study hard, failing is not an option. Im excited and scared at the same time cause its been 11yrs since I sat in a classroom and had to study, I hope I didn't forget how. I quit a decent job to pursue this and I pray it all works out and I succeed. For the duration of the academy I have no steady income and lost all my benefits, no health insurance ect. I will be working odd jobs or find a part time job on weekends only.

I will try to update this thread as often as I can, any and all questions and comments are welcome.
Last edited by nightmare69 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 53

Re: Police Academy Adventures

Post by WildBill »

I will be following your adventures. I wish you the best!
NRA Endowment Member

ELB
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ELB »

Good luck!
USAF 1982-2005

mojo84
Posts in topic: 35

Post by mojo84 »

Sounds like you are going "all in" to pursue what you want to do. I respect that and wish you the best. Will be following with interest.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by puma guy »

Wishing you success in you endeavor. I know you'll have plenty of folks here on the forum praying for you!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

Good Luck! :tiphat:
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

TomV
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TomV »

Prayers for you and best wishes to you.
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jumping Frog »

I wish you the best. If you give it 110% everyday - everything you've got - then I've found there are no regrets regardless of outcome.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

WildBill
Posts in topic: 53

Post by WildBill »

Jumping Frog wrote:I wish you the best. If you give it 110% everyday - everything you've got - then I've found there are no regrets regardless of outcome.
The best advice I have heard!
NRA Endowment Member

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Good luck... the failure portion is normal across the nation. One has to earn the academy certificate. They give X number of chances and then wash people out.

One suggestion that I pass on to cadets, after the tests stay away from the people debating the answers. They will sit outside while everybody gets done with the tests and discuss it. They are usually wrong and it causes unnecessary worry.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Thanks guys, Im excited and ready for this.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

First day in the bag. I was nervous at first cause the instructors make this sound like the hardest 18 weeks of your life. I got a seat in the front row along with the other old farts so we can see/hear. I know if you are the type of person who is offend by cuss words then LE is not for you, the instructors cuss a lot and could care less what you think. Over all impression was these guys know there stuff make it fun. Found out besides a test every Friday there is a spelling test every Monday. I can't spell for poo.

We have 43 people in my class, only 4-5 girls though, dang it. the oldest guy in my class is 63, yes 63yrs old and sponsored by the Tx dept of criminal justice, I assume he already works there.

First 1/2 of the day was rules, registration, policy, ect. the second half was going over the US constitution and I hope we go more in depth tomorrow.

Good first day and looking forward to the rest of the 18 weeks. FIrst 7 weeks are going to be the toughest with weeks and tests over criminal code and procedure, penal code, transportation code. Week 11 we have Family and Juvenile code and that will be another tough week. Off to study for awhile, I check back later tonight.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

If the gentleman in your class is being sponsored by TDCJ then he is probably going to be an Investigator for the TDCJ Office of Inspector General. They are the only TDCJ employees that I know of that have Peace Officer Commissions being carried by TDCJ.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

I am surprised they are cussing day one of an academy class. That wouldn't fly in other places. Have fun.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

nightmare69,

Good for you.

You're very motivated.

You'll make it.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”