Weatherford Police shoot woman answers door with gun in hand

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
n5wd
Posts in topic: 3

Weatherford Police shoot woman answers door with gun in hand

Post by n5wd »

Taken verbatim from the 10:00pm newscast tonight on Channel 8, WFAA:

"Following a few developing stories right now, including a Police shooting that happened in Weatherford (just west of Fort Worth). Police confirm an officer shot a woman late last night. Now this happened at a home on Foster Street near Hilltop Drive. Someone called Police and asked them to check on the woman. When an officer arrived, Police say she answered the door with a weapon in her hand so the officer shot her. We're told her condition is critical. She's in JPS (John Peter Smith) Hospital in Fort Worth"

That's all there was -no questioning by the so-called journalists as to WHAy the officer felt he had to shoot the resident. Nothing at all except the fact that she, like lots of folks when not expecting someone to call, answer the door with a gun in hand. I surely hope there's more explanations coming very soon.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

CHLLady
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Weatherford Police shoot woman answers door with gun in

Post by CHLLady »

n5wd wrote:Taken verbatim from the 10:00pm newscast tonight on Channel 8, WFAA:

"Following a few developing stories right now, including a Police shooting that happened in Weatherford (just west of Fort Worth). Police confirm an officer shot a woman late last night. Now this happened at a home on Foster Street near Hilltop Drive. Someone called Police and asked them to check on the woman. When an officer arrived, Police say she answered the door with a weapon in her hand so the officer shot her. We're told her condition is critical. She's in JPS (John Peter Smith) Hospital in Fort Worth"

That's all there was -no questioning by the so-called journalists as to WHAy the officer felt he had to shoot the resident. Nothing at all except the fact that she, like lots of folks when not expecting someone to call, answer the door with a gun in hand. I surely hope there's more explanations coming very soon.

Oh my God. This is too close to home. WTH. I sure hope there is more to this story!
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

jmra

Post by jmra »

"Nothing at all except the fact that she, like lots of folks when not expecting someone to call, answer the door with a gun in hand."

I don't know about y'all, but I'm not in the habit of answering the door with a gun in my hand - maybe on my hip but not in my hand. And if I ever did, it wouldn't be in plain sight of the person who rang the doorbell.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

I have answered the door with a gun in my hand, but the officer never saw it. If he hadn't been a police officer, he might have seen it. ;-)
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by EEllis »

http://cw33.com/2014/08/17/under-review ... -shooting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“When he arrived on the scene, he was met by a female with a weapon in her hand,”Lt. Chris Crawford with Weatherford Police explained."

Yeah, doesn't sound like she was just answering her door armed and was blown away by the cops.

Topic author
n5wd

Post by n5wd »

From the Weatherford Democrat newspaper:

http://www.weatherforddemocrat.com/news ... l?mode=jqm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"When the lone male officer arrived at the house, he was met at the front door by a woman with a weapon in her hand, according to Crawford.

“At that time, we had an officer-involved shooting where shots were fired,” Crawford said. “The female was transported to [John Peter Smith Hospital] with gunshot wounds.”

Texas Rangers are investigating this situation.

jmra

Post by jmra »

"The shooting happened Saturday night, when an officer showed up to a house located on the 1300 block of Foster St. He was responding to a welfare check. Investigators say the woman at the home was apparently threatening to commit suicide."

Suicide by cop?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

bryan1980

Post by bryan1980 »

jmra wrote:Quote
"Nothing at all except the fact that she, like lots of folks when not expecting someone to call, answer the door with a gun in hand."

I don't know about y'all, but I'm not in the habit of answering the door with a gun in my hand - maybe on my hip but not in my hand. And if I ever did, it wouldn't be in plain sight of the person who rang the doorbell.
This. That's what the peephole is for. If somebody actually takes the time to knock, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt (albeit with my pistol behind my back).
5/21/14 - Submitted online app.
5/24/14 - Class
5/27/14 - Submitted CHL-100 & checklist
7/18/14 - Plastic in hand

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

Someone called Police and asked them to check on the woman. We don't know the reason they were callled. Makes you wonder if there was not some sort of issue going on with her mentally and the police were called. Maybe she was threteming to shoot herself or someone else? Will have to wait for more information before I make a call.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

bryan1980 wrote:

This. That's what the peephole is for. If somebody actually takes the time to knock, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt (albeit with my pistol behind my back).
Depending on the circumstance I will have a gun in my hand, usually behind my back or leg, it takes time to draw it and a push in robbery happens too fast.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

jimlongley wrote:
bryan1980 wrote:

Depending on the circumstance I will have a gun in my hand, usually behind my back or leg, it takes time to draw it and a push in robbery happens too fast.
:iagree:

Accounts so far leave out a critical detail - which way was the gun pointed?
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Texsquatch

Post by Texsquatch »

If I feel that I need to answer the door with a gun drawn, I'm not answering the door.

As far as the peephole, my wife and son can never see through them. So, my son never is allowed to answer unexpected knocks. My wife has her firearm handy and Ginger, the 2nd most important woman in my life always walks ahead and stands in between us and the storm door as we open up. She's the first thing they see and solicitors typically step back as they immediately look down and see her locked in. I think a dog standing solid is much more intimidating than a dog jumping wildly.

All communication is through the storm door, and on the rare occasion we allow anyone in, Ginger sits in the foyer or follows us if we allow the new guest in.

Topic author
n5wd

Post by n5wd »

jmra wrote:...I don't know about y'all, but I'm not in the habit of answering the door with a gun in my hand - maybe on my hip but not in my hand. And if I ever did, it wouldn't be in plain sight of the person who rang the doorbell.
I'll often not be wearing a weapon around the house. I've got one nearby, though, on either side of the house so that if anyone knocks on the door or rings the doorbell after "normal hours" (let's just say for the sake of argument, it's about the time it gets dark outside), and I'm not expecting them (courteous folk still call, first, before dropping in) I often answer the door with a pistol in my hand, but like others have said, it would not be in the view of someone on the other side of the storm door.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Texsquatch wrote:If I feel that I need to answer the door with a gun drawn, I'm not answering the door.
Then I would never answer the door.

I always answer the door with gun in hand. I figure it is either carry all the time or I'd better guess right. I don't like guessing.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

The link EElllis posted now says police were called to check on her because she was threatening suicide. "Shots were fired and the woman was hit."

It sounds like either she attempted suicide by cop or the officer was trying to stop her from committing suicide. Either of those scenarios probably spells "good shoot" under Texas law.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”