Wife's contact with San Antonio PD.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Frankie
Posts in topic: 5

Wife's contact with San Antonio PD.

Post by Frankie »

My wife was recently pulled over by SAPD on I35 heading home from work. This is her account of what happened,
Her mother had been in surgery most of the day, back fusion, and she was expecting an update from her father. Her phone chimed letting her know she had gotten a new text message. She picked up the phone and read this text from her home screen. " mom is out and in recovery" she put her phone back down and with 30 seconds a unmarked SuV lights her up. As she pulled to the right, he informed her over the loud speaker to take next exit. We can only assume it was rush hour and he wasn't comfortable performing the stop on the shoulder. Don't blame him, SA Rush hour can be scary.
My wife works in a federal building so she wasn't carrying. She quickly realized that she was driving my truck (I was out of town for work) and I normal keep a LC9 in the center console. She didn't bother to check, she just pulled out her DL and CHL and presented them when the officer arrived at the window.
He looked at the chl and asked her where it was to which she replied "center console" and without reaching ,she pointed in that direction. He said " thank you for your honesty" handed her the CHl and then said " as long as it stays there, we'll both be happy" she nodded and he proceeded to,issue her a $202 fine for using a mobile device who,e operating a motor vehicle.

Not a bad encounter other then the fine but she knew she was wrong . But, due to her mothers circumstance, she took the risk and paid the piper.

On a side note: I follow one of our other local PDs facebook page. They have post two of what I consider positive 2A posts just this week. One was a funny about open carry hadn't become law just yet. The other, was on the supposed Glock 43 announment ment they need a new gun. Again, I read as a little tongue in cheek.

TxRVer
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Wife's contact with San Antonio PD.

Post by TxRVer »

I had no idea you couldn't use a mobile device in SA. I wonder what other cities have laws like that.
Charlie

A-R
Posts in topic: 2

Post by A-R »

TxRVer wrote:I had no idea you couldn't use a mobile device in SA. I wonder what other cities have laws like that.

http://www.txdot.gov/driver/laws/cellphones.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gaidheal
Banned

Post by Gaidheal »

TxRVer wrote:I had no idea you couldn't use a mobile device in SA. I wonder what other cities have laws like that.
All the major Texas metropolises, IIRC. I know that certainly both Austin and San Antonio and I thought Houston as well but don't quote me.

Frankie - I am glad your wife's encounter was largely trouble free. My experience with SAPD has been negative a couple of times, in fact they are the only Texas department I have largely negative experiences with (firearm related or otherwise). Now, admittedly I do live here, so I am bound to interact with them more, though there are many other departments within what is considered San Antonio.

I might share my very first encounter with them in the forum later, actually.

Gaidheal
Banned

Post by Gaidheal »

A-R wrote:

http://www.txdot.gov/driver/laws/cellphones.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Should have done that :P

Although that list just seems to be the ones known to have texting bans. Here in SA it is also forbidden to talk on it unless hands free and the Austin law is similar; no texting while driving and no calls without hands free, as I recall.

Javier730
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Javier730 »

As of 2015, no mobile device use while driving. $200 fine.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Same here.. had no idea.. and I go to SA a few times a year.

Nice stop, well done on your wifes part... and I learned something new.

That I need to go research this "law" and find out what it is, what is/is not allowed.
thanks
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

I wonder how it works if you're using the map device on the phone? I have a Garmin app on my phone, and I use it for directions often. It's no different than a dash-mounted Garmin, other than the dash-mounting, of course.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

Gaidheal wrote:
All the major Texas metropolises, IIRC. I know that certainly both Austin and San Antonio and I thought Houston as well but don't quote me.
Not in Dallas....yet.

Topic author
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

in SA, you don't have to actually be talking or sending a text. Apparently the simple act of holding a cellphone can get you a $202 fine.
Funny thing is, had she been driving her Lincon MKX, she would have had it read the text to her and not needed to pick up her phone. Told her that's a good reason to not drive my truck when I go out of town. :lol:

A-R

Post by A-R »

The text of Austin's new ordinance. Basically, as it's been explained to me, if you're touching the device with your fingers (even if it's mounted and you're not holding it), then you're in violation.

https://www.municode.com/Api/CD/Ordinances/15302/671048" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

San Antonio is on the ball with enforcing the new city ordinance as I know quite a few people who have been busted for texting/talking while driving. If you need to use your phone you're allowed to use a hands-free bluetooth device but if you're fooling around with the phone you're in trouble.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

A-R wrote:The text of Austin's new ordinance. Basically, as it's been explained to me, if you're touching the device with your fingers (even if it's mounted and you're not holding it), then you're in violation.

https://www.municode.com/Api/CD/Ordinances/15302/671048" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am currently researching new vehicles, and the ability for hands-free phone use is one of the features I'm going to be pretty insistent on. It's not that I use my phone a lot while driving, but I do occasionally use it, particularly to answer calls from clients.....who have no idea that I'm driving when they call......so I would like as much as possible to be able to do so without violating some city's ordinance of which I am unaware.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
A-R wrote:The text of Austin's new ordinance. Basically, as it's been explained to me, if you're touching the device with your fingers (even if it's mounted and you're not holding it), then you're in violation.

I am currently researching new vehicles, and the ability for hands-free phone use is one of the features I'm going to be pretty insistent on. It's not that I use my phone a lot while driving, but I do occasionally use it, particularly to answer calls from clients.....who have no idea that I'm driving when they call......so I would like as much as possible to be able to do so without violating some city's ordinance of which I am unaware.
Another option would be a newer phone as most now come standard with a "hands free mode". It'll read out your calls and texts much like the car will but can redirect to your Bluetooth so only you can hear it.

The in car feature is nice but you have to Bluetooth sync your phone anyway. Although a newer car would be nice as I'm still in one with a cassette player :biggrinjester:
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I have hands free earphones of which I keep one in my ear so I can hear surrounding noises. However, after reading the ordinance, it appears that even talking on a hands free device can draw a fine.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”