My Blooper: Armed subject turns into medical call (video)

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

n5wd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My Blooper: Armed subject turns into medical call (video

Post by n5wd »

Back when I was working on an MICU, my partner and I ran a call like that in a semi-rural part of the City. The TxDOT contract worker was one of three mowing the right-of-way, and was the lucky one to hit the ground hive, but the guy behind him got into the swarm as well. Both of 'em got stung enough so that they were both having facial swelling with one of 'em having a little bit of trouble breathing.

We started IV's on both of 'em, and after a couple of doses of epinephrine, they were both doing better. When informed that they should both go to the ER, one of 'em wanted to devline and AMA (refuse transport Against Medical Advice). The doc I was talking to on the radio tried to convince him to let us take him, but he still refused until the TXDOT supervisor on scene insisted he go with us.

Talking with the doc, later that evening in the ER, I got schooled when the doc informed me that the guy we wanted to let go AMA had almost arrested (began to have problems breathing and heart going erratic) after he got to the ER and had been in their care for over an hour. It turns out that delayed anaphalactic shock is very common in people who are hyper-sensitive to bee/wasp stings. Needless to say, I looked at bee/wasp stings a little bit differently after that.

Glad it worked out well in your incident, nightmare69.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 5

Post by nightmare69 »

n5wd wrote:Back when I was working on an MICU, my partner and I ran a call like that in a semi-rural part of the City. The TxDOT contract worker was one of three mowing the right-of-way, and was the lucky one to hit the ground hive, but the guy behind him got into the swarm as well. Both of 'em got stung enough so that they were both having facial swelling with one of 'em having a little bit of trouble breathing.

We started IV's on both of 'em, and after a couple of doses of epinephrine, they were both doing better. When informed that they should both go to the ER, one of 'em wanted to devline and AMA (refuse transport Against Medical Advice). The doc I was talking to on the radio tried to convince him to let us take him, but he still refused until the TXDOT supervisor on scene insisted he go with us.

Talking with the doc, later that evening in the ER, I got schooled when the doc informed me that the guy we wanted to let go AMA had almost arrested (began to have problems breathing and heart going erratic) after he got to the ER and had been in their care for over an hour. It turns out that delayed anaphalactic shock is very common in people who are hyper-sensitive to bee/wasp stings. Needless to say, I looked at bee/wasp stings a little bit differently after that.

Glad it worked out well in your incident, nightmare69.
Scary stuff. It's amazing how such a small flying animal can make the biggest and baddest run like girls. The looks on people passing by was priceless seeing police, fire, and EMTs running around swatting air.

#beelivesmatter
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

**SNIP***
nightmare69 wrote:
#beelivesmatter
WINGS UP, DONT SHOOT! :evil2:
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

nightmare69 wrote:These bees seem to aim for your face as a couple tried with me and the FFers got stung there too. The FF finally put on full bunker gear and got his mower back on his trailer, funny sight.

[ Image ]

Edit: Photobucket says its still processing the video, Ill get it working eventually.

I had to read this a second time to make sure which FFers were being talked about. Almost had to make a MWBL call. Man with bad language. "rlol"
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 5

Post by nightmare69 »

LSUTiger wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:These bees seem to aim for your face as a couple tried with me and the FFers got stung there too. The FF finally put on full bunker gear and got his mower back on his trailer, funny sight.

[ Image ]

Edit: Photobucket says its still processing the video, Ill get it working eventually.

I had to read this a second time to make sure which FFers were being talked about. Almost had to make a MWBL call. Man with bad language. "rlol"
Lol. Sorry about that.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”