Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Teamless
Posts in topic: 5

Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

Post by Teamless »

Ok, today I head to HEB after work and reach in my arm rest for my Bodyguard .380, and it’s missing...

Of course I start to think, “when did I have it last”, “did I leave it in the range bag”, did I put it in the house safe” and of course “was it stolen”

Last I remember putting it in my back pocket was about a week ago, by the way, as I normally carry a full size that I keep in the house

Truck was not broken into.
Did I happen to leave it unlocked over night or somewheee else?

So as I am thinking all of this, I look back into my armrest as I also don’t see about $8 which should have been there, but I supposed I could have used that sometime and forgot
And then I look for my backup 8rd magazine which never leaves the armrest, and it’s not there.... so it’s real, it’s been stolen and I have no idea how or when or where it was taken

I call League City PD to report it, not that I am worried about the value or even getting it back, but just in case it is found on the street sometime, the (insert appropriate adjective) person would be arrested for possession of a stolen firearm

The interaction with the office on the phone was good, and the call ended with “don’t hold your breath”

So this phone call ended about 6:45pm tonight

8:45pm, same officer calls and says “Mr. C, you should buy a lottery ticket, your gun was already found

He proceeds to tell me that Harris County has it and they took it off of a gang member in (I think he said North) Houston
And they have charged him with possession of a stolen firearm. :clapping:

The officer tells me that Harris County will hold the gun for a couple weeks likely, and either send it to LCPD, or I may have to pick it up at Harris County.

Sad story with a happy ending!

(I’m not sharing this to have a debate or discussion on in vehicle gun storage or anything else, just to share a happy ending)
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

Post by Flightmare »

Great ending to what could otherwise have been a bad story! Thanks for sharing!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Cheapsk8

Post by Cheapsk8 »

So did you buy the lottery ticket or not?
In life as in baseball, it is the number of times you reach home safely that count.

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

So glad you got your gun back and there's one less in the wrong hands.

Do you have an idea when it might have gotten taken? Not assigning blame because I sure know I've had moments where I've left my car unlocked all night long (thankfully without anything of value in it). :shock:
Psalm 91:2

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I’m curious how they got it without you knowing. I’ve read articles about thieves stealing remote alarm codes but have never seen a story where that happened. Glad you got it back.

Topic author
Teamless

Post by Teamless »

SQLGeek wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:00 pm Do you have an idea when it might have gotten taken? Not assigning blame because I sure know I've had moments where I've left my car unlocked all night long (thankfully without anything of value in it). :shock:
No idea. Very strange - never had a clue my truck had someone inside looking for things
I assume i forgot to lock it, but I have also heard about stealing alarm codes as well

I asked the officer who called me, his feeling was we would never find out (but he also said we shouldn’t hold our breath), so we will see
League City, TX

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Someone else here on the Forum recommended this solution, I have one and am impressed with the quality of construction and ease of installation. For your consideration:

http://www.lockerdown.com/
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Teamless wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:07 pm I have no idea how or when or where it was taken
:banghead:

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Cheapsk8 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:32 pm So did you buy the lottery ticket or not?
Yes, but he forgot where he put it.

"rlol"

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

We have had a rash of vehicle thefts in my suburbia, kids running through neighborhoods at night targeting only unlocked vehicles.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Congrats on being able to retrieve. Just wish they would eventually find my 1917 Smith and Smith Model 19 stolen from a hotel room years ago. Really loved both of those.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

I have a lockbox in my console also. It's not as fancy as the safes but it works for my needs.
http://www.center-of-mass.com/car-lockers/
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Topic author
Teamless

Post by Teamless »

montgomery wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:38 am
Teamless wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:07 pm I have no idea how or when or where it was taken
Knock your head as long as you want to
Do you inspect every gun you own every day?

Would you know if a tool was missing from your toolbox if you have not opened the tool box in a week?

Is your high horse, high enough where you know all?
League City, TX

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Arlington Police say that over 50% of thefts from vehicles in Arlington are from unlocked vehicles.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Teamless wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:19 pm
montgomery wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:38 am
Knock your head as long as you want to
Do you inspect every gun you own every day?

Would you know if a tool was missing from your toolbox if you have not opened the tool box in a week?

Is your high horse, high enough where you know all?
Yes. I know where every firearm and every round of ammunition is at all times. If I am not wearing it or using it, it is locked up and on camera. It is called being a responsible gun owner.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”