Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

n5wmk
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Stolen gun and.... wait for it...

Post by n5wmk »

Grundy1133 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:51 pm I've always taken an interest in security. whether it physical or digital security, and I've always wondered why they dont make garage door openers with programmable key codes... like pull up in your driveway and punch in your code on the remote and it opens... i know they make "keyless entry" garage doors but they still have the 1 button remote entries.
Yep. And why don't the car manufacturers make it so that the built-in one button (home-link) garage door openers won't work unless you have the key in the ignition and turned on? I have a 2012 Toyota Tacoma and my wife has a 2018 Ford Explorer. On either one, you can open the garage door without the ignition turned on. What this means is that if your vehicle is parked outside for whatever reason, and someone breaks into it, all they have to do is push that little button, and they have access to your home. Maybe not all cars are that way, but my Toyota and Ford certainly are.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

n5wmk wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:39 am
Grundy1133 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:51 pm I've always taken an interest in security. whether it physical or digital security, and I've always wondered why they dont make garage door openers with programmable key codes... like pull up in your driveway and punch in your code on the remote and it opens... i know they make "keyless entry" garage doors but they still have the 1 button remote entries.
Yep. And why don't the car manufacturers make it so that the built-in one button (home-link) garage door openers won't work unless you have the key in the ignition and turned on? I have a 2012 Toyota Tacoma and my wife has a 2018 Ford Explorer. On either one, you can open the garage door without the ignition turned on. What this means is that if your vehicle is parked outside for whatever reason, and someone breaks into it, all they have to do is push that little button, and they have access to your home. Maybe not all cars are that way, but my Toyota and Ford certainly are.
:iagree: ITS GOOD TO TALK WITH OTHERS THAT GET IT!!!!!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

:iagree: On the few occasions I've had to leave my car in the driveway I made it a point to take the garage door opener inside with me. I also have made the emergency release less susceptible to being accessed from outside.

The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

My 2018 Subaru requires the ignition to be on in order to open or close the garage door.

Mel

Post by Mel »

It also makes it more difficult if you don't have windows in the door. None of my overhead doors have windows.
If you do have windows and want the light, apply one-way mirror film.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

n5wmk wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:39 am
I have a Ford car that I park in the driveway and haven't programmed the homelink buttons for that reason.

Our garage door can also be locked at the switch so I do that at night so it can't be opened with an opener.
Psalm 91:2

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

AF-Odin wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:17 am Congrats on being able to retrieve. Just wish they would eventually find my 1917 Smith and Smith Model 19 stolen from a hotel room years ago. Really loved both of those.
My Model 19 and matching Model 29 are my favorite almost non-shooters. Sorry for your loss.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”