Officer Invades Apartment, Shoots Resident

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Officer Invades Apartment, Shoots Resident

Post by Bitter Clinger »

philip964 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:23 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:48 am
thatguyoverthere wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:47 am https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/la ... ar-n909506
Investigators said in a search warrant of the apartment of Botham Jean, 26, that they were looking for “any contraband, such as narcotics, and other items that may have been used in criminal offenses.” Investigators later said in a court document that they found 10.4 grams of marijuana during Saturday's search.
“The warrant seems to only be designed for one particular purpose,” Merritt said, “and that is to smear the victim.”
He said the officer's home has not been searched.
Interesting if true.
If this is true, this really is starting to smell bad.
I would say that this would not look good if they did not also search the shooters apartment.

The victim had a round red floor mat at the entrance to his apartment which would give his door entrance a very unique appearance.

The apartment door is a rated fire door just like you would find in most new hotels. It shuts and latches automatically. Thus the door was not ajar unless propped open by a stopper of some kind which still should be there as evidence. They said if the wrong electronic key is inserted you get a flashing red light just like in a hotel.

She had filed a noise complaint with the apartment complex about the victim.
If the noise complaint and the drug usage are true, then perhaps there is quite a bit more to this story...
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Killadocg23 »

This is getting comical. The innocent guy gets shot in his own apartment and they search his apartment lookingnfor contraband? To smear the name of a Dead man unbelievable. They really are trying to throw this under the rug per say. What does him having marijuana in his OWN apartment have to do with this lady shooting him? WOW !

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Killadocg23 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:13 pm This is getting comical. The innocent guy gets shot in his own apartment and they search his apartment lookingnfor contraband? To smear the name of a Dead man unbelievable. They really are trying to throw this under the rug per say. What does him having marijuana in his OWN apartment have to do with this lady shooting him? WOW !
Sadly, this kind of crap happens all the time.

RicoTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RicoTX »

Killadocg23 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:13 pm This is getting comical. The innocent guy gets shot in his own apartment and they search his apartment lookingnfor contraband? To smear the name of a Dead man unbelievable. They really are trying to throw this under the rug per say. What does him having marijuana in his OWN apartment have to do with this lady shooting him? WOW !
I agree. This will reflect badly on law enforcement. I don't care what he had in his house, he was murdered plain and simple. There are no excuses. Period. They better start handing this better or they will pay a price in the future.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 4

Post by MaduroBU »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:06 pm
MaduroBU wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:26 am 7 years for me, but neurosurgery residents still have no formal duty hours.
Sorry, badly worded question. If they don't have them, how did you routinely violate?
Neurosurgery got a special exemption for duty hour restrictions so that they could keep working 120 hour weeks. I was not a neurosurgery resident (did general surgery before switching to internal medicine), so while I technically had duty hour restrictions, we just violated them. The violations were nearly all in the surgery program, which was the major reason that I switched career paths. I worried that I'd regret it at the time, but it turned out that having a life outside of medicine counts for a lot.

talltex

Post by talltex »

RicoTX wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:43 pm
I agree. This will reflect badly on law enforcement. I don't care what he had in his house, he was murdered plain and simple. There are no excuses. Period. They better start handing this better or they will pay a price in the future.
This is unfortunately becoming standard practice in most officer involved shootings (whether on or off duty-which does actually make a difference in terminology used). Think back little over a year ago, when the officer in Minnesota shot and killed the 40yo women who had called the police for help because she was hearing what sounded to her like a women being sexually assaulted next door. She was waiting for the police to arrive and when the two officers pulled up and were sitting in the vehicle, she approached them in her pajamas holding her cell phone, and apparently got within 10-15 feet of the vehicle before the officer in the passenger seat saw her walking toward them, pulled his pistol and shot across his partner out the driver's side window and killed her. The department had her house searched for drugs and/or any evidence that would paint her in a negative manner. It was almost a year after the shooting before the investigation was completed and the officer was charged. He was on paid leave during that time and refused to make a statement or speak with the investigators. The DA stated that it had taken so long to bring the charge because almost all of the officers they questioned, refused to talk to them. He said he had never seen such behavior before in his years as DA.
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:15 pm
Please tell me they did not let the Officer go back into her apartment before they got a warrant and searched it. Since evidence of a prior relationship would be extremely relevant to the charge here, that is one thing the authorities should have looked for in both apartments, IMHO. Also, anything going to the shooters' state of mind such as illegal drugs / paraphenalia she might have possessed, literature, computer files, internet search history, etc. At a minimum, her apartment should have been searched thoroughly before she was allowed to enter it.

Are we really to believe that if I mistakenly walk into a cops' home and kill him / her, I will be out almost immediately, and the only home being searched will be that of the dead cop? I'm sorry, but this is starting to look really, really, bad for law enforcement.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

RicoTX wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:43 pm
Murdered? Or executed?
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

roadkill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by roadkill »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:13 pm
PriestTheRunner wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:15 pm
Please tell me they did not let the Officer go back into her apartment before they got a warrant and searched it. Since evidence of a prior relationship would be extremely relevant to the charge here, that is one thing the authorities should have looked for in both apartments, IMHO. Also, anything going to the shooters' state of mind such as illegal drugs / paraphenalia she might have possessed, literature, computer files, internet search history, etc. At a minimum, her apartment should have been searched thoroughly before she was allowed to enter it.

Are we really to believe that if I mistakenly walk into a cops' home and kill him / her, I will be out almost immediately, and the only home being searched will be that of the dead cop? I'm sorry, but this is starting to look really, really, bad for law enforcement.
Saw a post on Facebook that had pics of what was supposedly her packing up and moving. Post said that she moved out late yesterday and the man in the pic is said to be one of her brothers in blue based off of dress(pants and boots).

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by WTR »

I heard on an Austin radio news broadcast that the victim’s family says that the DPD are now claiming there was a search warrant which had been issued at the time of the shooting. They also claim DPD are trying to smear the Vic’s name with marajuna allegations. This is beginning to smell.

Allons

Post by Allons »

WTR wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:31 pm I heard on an Austin radio news broadcast that the victim’s family says that the DPD are now claiming there was a search warrant which had been issued at the time of the shooting. They also claim DPD are trying to smear the Vic’s name with marajuna allegations. This is beginning to smell.
A female officer by herself serving an arrest warrant at night? Yeah, something is really starting to smell.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

thatguyoverthere wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:47 am https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/la ... ar-n909506
Investigators said in a search warrant of the apartment of Botham Jean, 26, that they were looking for “any contraband, such as narcotics, and other items that may have been used in criminal offenses.” Investigators later said in a court document that they found 10.4 grams of marijuana during Saturday's search.
“The warrant seems to only be designed for one particular purpose,” Merritt said, “and that is to smear the victim.”
He said the officer's home has not been searched.
Interesting if true.
In further reading today, I see that it is being reported now that the officer's apartment was searched "in the hours after the shooting," with the consent of the officer. So no warrant was needed.

I just wanted to get that new information out here since I was initially troubled that it was reported that the victim's apartment was searched but the officer's was not. That apparently was incorrect.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/speci ... -594497512
A consensual search was conducted on Guyer's apartment in the hours after the shooting, according to information WFAA obtained from a source close to the investigation that was later confirmed by Merritt.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by WTR »

I no longer trust the investigation. Smells like a coverup is ongoing.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Jusme »

WTR wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:03 am I no longer trust the investigation. Smells like a coverup is ongoing.

I wouldn't be so hasty, to denigrate the investigation. Most of what is being reported, is opinions from the victim's friends and family, and I'm sure behind the scenes activists are involved. None of the reports are from the Texas Rangers, and they have a pretty decent track record, of investigating. You won't see leaks, coming from the Rangers, and they won't report anything until the investigation is complete. I know we all want quick answers, but, even cases, that seem cut and dried, take time. There are ballistics reports, witnesses, to interview, etc. People, want to assume conspiracy, if they don't get instant information. I would not trust anything, as being official, that is being reported in the media right now. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

bigtek
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bigtek »

Jusme wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:26 am
WTR wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:03 am I no longer trust the investigation. Smells like a coverup is ongoing.

I wouldn't be so hasty, to denigrate the investigation. Most of what is being reported, is opinions from the victim's friends and family, and I'm sure behind the scenes activists are involved. None of the reports are from the Texas Rangers, and they have a pretty decent track record, of investigating. You won't see leaks, coming from the Rangers, and they won't report anything until the investigation is complete. I know we all want quick answers, but, even cases, that seem cut and dried, take time. There are ballistics reports, witnesses, to interview, etc. People, want to assume conspiracy, if they don't get instant information. I would not trust anything, as being official, that is being reported in the media right now. JMHO
Law-abiding Texans generally trust and respect The Rangers. The shooter's employer is a different kettle of fish.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”