Officer Invades Apartment, Shoots Resident

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

srothstein
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Officer Invades Apartment, Shoots Resident

Post by srothstein »

Jusme wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:26 amI wouldn't be so hasty, to denigrate the investigation. Most of what is being reported, is opinions from the victim's friends and family, and I'm sure behind the scenes activists are involved. None of the reports are from the Texas Rangers, and they have a pretty decent track record, of investigating. You won't see leaks, coming from the Rangers, and they won't report anything until the investigation is complete. I know we all want quick answers, but, even cases, that seem cut and dried, take time. There are ballistics reports, witnesses, to interview, etc. People, want to assume conspiracy, if they don't get instant information. I would not trust anything, as being official, that is being reported in the media right now. JMHO
I agree with this observation. So far, the news has reported a lot of claims from the victim's family, and darn little facts from anything else. This is because the city cannot tell them anything, having done the smart thing by turning it over to the Rangers for investigation and the Rangers, as a general rule, do not talk to the media about on-going investigations. The closest that they have come to saying anything about the investigation is by filing an affidavit to get the arrest warrant. Those are public and the media did report on that.

As for the searches in question, I would think the Rangers got a search warrant for the victim's apartment to cover it for evidence in the investigation. It is private property and the evidence would not be admissible if questioned without a warrant. This would be especially important if the evidence indicated anything like the rumored "affair" because it could give the officer standing to object to the search. The only thing better than a search warrant is if you get consent for the search. The warrant could still be argued in court but consent (if true consent and freely given) can not be. They would have needed much more evidence than just rumor to search her apartment for evidence of any prior relationship or knowledge of the victim, so her giving consent was the best way for them to search it. Her giving consent, BTW, does help make it look better for her, IMO.

I fully believe her story is possible and plausible. There are rumors of her having prior knowledge of the victim, both good and bad (an affair or complaints about his behavior). I have one serious question though, and it is possibly explainable too. It has been reported that witnesses heard someone shouting to open the door and that it was the police. This has been argued to be the female officer when she arrived. That doesn't match her story. But witnesses are not very reliable on time lines and this could have been the police after she called for help. For the obligatory cultural reference showing this problem, think about the "magic" grits which cooked in less time than anyone else's grits in "My Cousin Vinny". Honest mistakes on timelines can happen.

I am not yet convinced the officer's story is the straight up truth but I have not heard of enough evidence to say it isn't either. This makes her guilty of manslaughter at worst.

I am convinced that many people, especially the victim's family, are adding in race where it really had no bearing on this at all, though I could be wrong on this too.
Steve Rothstein

Oak Threeper
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Oak Threeper »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:44 pm
RicoTX wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:43 pm
Killadocg23 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:13 pm This is getting comical. The innocent guy gets shot in his own apartment and they search his apartment lookingnfor contraband? To smear the name of a Dead man unbelievable. They really are trying to throw this under the rug per say. What does him having marijuana in his OWN apartment have to do with this lady shooting him? WOW !
I agree. This will reflect badly on law enforcement. I don't care what he had in his house, he was murdered plain and simple. There are no excuses. Period. They better start handing this better or they will pay a price in the future.
Murdered? Or executed?
Maybe a little bit of both is in their future.

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

srothstein wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:21 pm It has been reported that witnesses heard someone shouting to open the door and that it was the police. This has been argued to be the female officer when she arrived. That doesn't match her story. But witnesses are not very reliable on time lines and this could have been the police after she called for help. For the obligatory cultural reference showing this problem, think about the "magic" grits which cooked in less time than anyone else's grits in "My Cousin Vinny". Honest mistakes on timelines can happen.

I am not yet convinced the officer's story is the straight up truth but I have not heard of enough evidence to say it isn't either. This makes her guilty of manslaughter at worst.

I am convinced that many people, especially the victim's family, are adding in race where it really had no bearing on this at all, though I could be wrong on this too.
The fact that the neighbors, who reported the officer banging on the door to let her in, didn't report it to the police and instead chose to let the family and their attorney know, is kinda suspicious IMO. Lots of stories floating around out there, I doubt any of them are based on facts.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:40 pm
The fact that the neighbors, who reported the officer banging on the door to let her in, didn't report it to the police and instead chose to let the family and their attorney know, is kinda suspicious IMO. Lots of stories floating around out there, I doubt any of them are based on facts.
How do you know they didn't report this to the police?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Excaliber »

The physical evidence from powder stippling (which will indicate the distance between the deceased and the gun when it was fired), the trajectories of the fired rounds, the locations of the shell casings, the results of the blood test on the officer, and the audit trails from the locks will go a long ways toward resolving several of the most important unknowns.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

ELB
Posts in topic: 18

Post by ELB »

I can personally vouch for how the timelines of actual events can get jumbled in the memory.

There are a lot of people who have no business being on a jury.
USAF 1982-2005

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ScottDLS »

ELB wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:22 pm I can personally vouch for how the timelines of actual events can get jumbled in the memory.

There are a lot of people who have no business being on a jury.
As there are many individuals who have no business being a Peace Officer.... :evil2: However, I sahll withhold judgement on this particular case until more reliable facts become available.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Liberty wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:37 am
Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:40 pm
How do you know they didn't report this to the police?
Multiple sources. Let me know and I'll dig up and post the links. I believe the Dallas Morning News was one of the sources, which I tend to trust more than the other news sources I've been seeing posted up on social media.

ELB
Posts in topic: 18

Post by ELB »

On 9/11 the DA got a warrant to seize the locks on both Guyger's and Jean's doors. The keys have RFID chips in them that operate the locks, and the locks have internal data perhaps showing when and how they were opened (e.g. by key from outside, from the inside, was door shut or not, etc). Also data being collected from elevators. Story doesn't say so, but perhaps the elevator requires a resident's key to be used.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2 ... s-da-hopes
USAF 1982-2005

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Prayers sent for all involved! This is a Tragedy :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/24/da ... -jean.html
Dallas police officer Amber Guyger was fired Monday, officials said, weeks after a racially-charged shooting in which the off-duty white cop killed her black neighbor, Botham Jean.

An investigation determined Guyger “engaged in adverse conduct when she was arrested for manslaughter,” Dallas police Chief Renee Hall said in a statement, adding Guyger may appeal her termination.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Flightmare wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:53 am http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/24/da ... -jean.html
Dallas police officer Amber Guyger was fired Monday, officials said, weeks after a racially-charged shooting in which the off-duty white cop killed her black neighbor, Botham Jean.

An investigation determined Guyger “engaged in adverse conduct when she was arrested for manslaughter,” Dallas police Chief Renee Hall said in a statement, adding Guyger may appeal her termination.
"engaged in adverse conduct" like perhaps, lying about everything?

Guyger scrubbed her social media accounts, but forgot her Pinterest acccount, which has some very interesting posts.
https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/dal ... t-11139874
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Jusme
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Jusme »

Flightmare wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:53 am http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/24/da ... -jean.html

Yeah that last line is rather, unusual. Did she engage in adverse conduct, which caused her to get a arrested? Or did she engage in adverse conduct, when she was arrested?

I am not surprised she was fired, and am still anxious to hear the final report from the Rangers.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

She was fired to take the Heat off the New Chief from Detroit!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Paladin »

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”