Officer Invades Apartment, Shoots Resident

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Jusme
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Officer Invades Apartment, Shoots Resident

Post by Jusme »

mojo84 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:23 am Wouldn't one recognize the furnishings aren't theirs once inside? I think there is more to this story.
LEO, are like everyone else, their SA may decrease, in familiar areas. Coming into, what she thought was home, and someone suddenly appearing, probably gave her tunnel vision, and she drew and fired, more as a reflex, that anything else. There may be more to the story but I can see, how after a long shift, possibly being distracted, and suddenly being approached by someone in her "home" might cause her reaction. However, it will not be much of a defense in court. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

ELB
Posts in topic: 18

Post by ELB »

chamberc wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:37 am
ELB wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:33 am A few more details, not many. https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2 ... adquarters
If the witness statement about hearing "Open up, Open Up!" it may have been the officer "mistakenly" trying to break in.
I was thinking maybe it was the other officers responding to her call, but will have to wait and see.
USAF 1982-2005

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SewTexas »

don't most apartments have the number on the door? Guys decorate differently than women...for the most part. I'm confused on this....it just doesn't make any sense.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

ELB
Posts in topic: 18

Post by ELB »

Jusme wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:38 am
... Coming into, what she thought was home, and someone suddenly appearing, probably gave her tunnel vision, and she drew and fired, more as a reflex, that anything else. … suddenly being approached by someone in her "home" might cause her reaction. ...
Based on available info so far, this.^^^^ Shocked/scared, didn't notice furniture, decorations, paint scheme, just apparent "threat."
USAF 1982-2005

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 5

Post by PriestTheRunner »

ELB wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:20 am
Jusme wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:38 am
... Coming into, what she thought was home, and someone suddenly appearing, probably gave her tunnel vision, and she drew and fired, more as a reflex, that anything else. … suddenly being approached by someone in her "home" might cause her reaction. ...
Based on available info so far, this.^^^^ Shocked/scared, didn't notice furniture, decorations, paint scheme, just apparent "threat."
It is possible the lights were all off and the door was unlocked. Apparently they had electic keypads... Did they both keep the same default code? (IE, like 0001)?

Definately waiting to see and hear more.

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

Officer not interviewed yet they say. Hope the blood alcohol has been done.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by WTR »

I am amused that the story points to getting off a “12” hour shift. Welcome to the world.

bulletslap
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bulletslap »

My heart goes out to the good members of the DPD, they have suffered from idiots in leadership for decades.

And for the guy that gets killed minding his own business in his own place.

Jago668
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jago668 »

WTR wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:22 pm I am amused that the story points to getting off a “12” hour shift. Welcome to the world.
I've come home off 24 hour shifts, but I still knew where my apartment or house was.
NRA Benefactor Member

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Officer will be charged with manslaughter.

https://www.statesman.com/news/dallas-o ... IswELRk1N/

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by WTR »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:54 pm Officer will be charged with manslaughter.

https://www.statesman.com/news/dallas-o ... IswELRk1N/

It is a shame that the race the Officer and the victim are made mention of as though it makes the tradegy worse. It is tragic no matter what the race of each is.

TxRVer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TxRVer »

I believe it was on one of the noon news reports that she had taken the elevator to the wrong floor. If all the floors look the same that explains her winding up in the wrong apartment.
Charlie

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Flightmare »

While this wasn't a warrant being served, I would say this is a perfect example of why "no-knock" warrants are a bad idea.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Jusme
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Jusme »

This is a tragedy, all the way around, an innocent man, is dead, a LEO, career is over, along with her potential loss of freedom. No LEO want's to shoot an innocent person. But, there is no going back.

There is still no info, on whether the door was locked, but if not, finding, what she assumed, was her door unlocked, may have caused her to draw her gun, and then shoot, upon seeing someone. But there is still a lot of missing details. I will withhold further comment, until more facts are presented.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

flechero
Posts in topic: 6

Post by flechero »

Having lived in and worked at apartment complexes with no external decoration in the halls, it's beyond my comprehension that one could "not know" which apartment /floor was theirs... Even in my misspent youth, if I could walk, I made it to the right apartment.

No matter what happened, it's tragic for a lot of people.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”