Do you have anything on you or in your truck?

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Do you have anything on you or in your truck?

Post by jason812 »

DPS has my buddies street blocked off due to an FBI investigation. viewtopic.php?f=108&t=96745

I went to his house today to rewire his boat. He told me the DPS Tooper would run my license and I would have to call him with the trooper on the phone to verify I was going to my buddies house. After handing him my license and LTC, he asked, "Do you have a weapon on you or in your truck"?

Me: Both
Trooper: What are you carrying?
Me: A Walther PPS .40cal on my hip, a Walther P99 .40cal in the console, and a fold up AR15.
The trooper just smiled. Then we had a small conversation about AR pistols.

Then when I called my buddy and had him on speaker, I asked if I could come over and play, which got another laugh from the trooper.

Other than being asked if I had ever been arrested (which I thought was odd), it was a decent conversation given the circumstances.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Do you have anything on you or in your truck?

Post by oohrah »

You are no longer required to show a LEO your LTC if you are carrying, unless specifically asked.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

oohrah wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:10 am You are no longer required to show a LEO your LTC if you are carrying, unless specifically asked.
GC §411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE.
If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder’s person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder’s driver’s license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder’s handgun license.
---
Last amended by Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1146 (H.B. 2730), Sec. 12A.02, eff. Sept. 1, 2009.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

oohrah wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:10 am You are no longer required to show a LEO your LTC if you are carrying, unless specifically asked.
There is no longer a penalty for failure to show when asked for identification, but it is still required legally.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

LDP wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:33 pm
Keith B wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:08 pm
There is no longer a penalty for failure to show when asked for identification, but it is still required legally.
:iagree:

Even if there is no penalty for failing to produce your LTC, it doesn't show good form, IMHO.
Sure, you can argue with the officer all you want, whether your rights are being trampled upon but in the bigger picture, being polite to a police officer goes a long ways, hopefully with him returning the favor.

They (LEOs) have a hard job to begin with. If I can make it just a bit easier, I will. (to a certain point, of course)
Agreed! Why be a wiseacre?

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

I got stopped today for missing a stop sign. Showed all my documents and he asked if I had my gun and where it was. Told him and he said try to stop at those stop signs and he and I went on our ways.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I know there is no longer a penalty. When I showed my LTC to a LEO during an accident investigation he said I was no longer required to do that. Said the open carry law changed that.

I agree it's best to not let the officer have an surprises.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

oohrah wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:07 am I know there is no longer a penalty. When I showed my LTC to a LEO during an accident investigation he said I was no longer required to do that. Said the open carry law changed that.

I agree it's best to not let the officer have an surprises.
LEO was incorrect. It is still on the books:
GC §411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE.
If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder’s person
when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display
identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder’s driver’s
license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license
holder’s handgun license.
---
Last amended by Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1146 (H.B. 2730), Sec. 12A.02, eff. Sept.
1, 2009.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I also forgot to mention that I was stopped just a few weeks ago for an illegal passing (I didn't but that's another story). I was carrying and did not show my LTC with my DL. I got a warning, the LEO never mentioned my LTC and never asked about a gun. Surely he ran my DL and would have e seen I had an LTC.
USMC, Retired

strogg

Post by strogg »

I too have gotten stopped recently. It was by a DPS trooper near Midland. He rightfully caught me for speeding, although his estimation of my speed may have been inflated a bit. I didn't bother arguing because A: I honestly didn't know how fast I was going at the time (I was distracted and had many other things on my mind), and B: the courtroom is the right place to argue, not at the traffic stop itself.

Anyhow, when he asked for my papers, I gave him my LTC with the DL because that's what a proper law abiding citizen does. He took a quick look at it, gave it back to me, and never mentioned it at all. He never asked about the location of my firearm(s) or anything of that nature. I found it peculiar. Regardless, he issued me a warning, and we were both on our own merry ways.

The whole time I was respectful and followed all instructions. His job is to keep the roads safe, and he's doing that. As others have mentioned, it's a tough job. Respect and understanding can go a long way, and police officers in general surely deserve it. No one wants things to turn out like this:

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

oohrah wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:01 am I also forgot to mention that I was stopped just a few weeks ago for an illegal passing (I didn't but that's another story). I was carrying and did not show my LTC with my DL. I got a warning, the LEO never mentioned my LTC and never asked about a gun. Surely he ran my DL and would have e seen I had an LTC.

I got pulled over for speeding by DPS a few weeks back. I didn't have a gun with me (on my way home from work and got lazy and left it at home that day :oops: ) so I gave him my driver's license and nothing else. I was prepared to answer if he asked, but he never mentioned a gun or LTC before giving me a warning. :read: YMMV
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

That license might have magical powers.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

A couple of years ago I was driving through a small town in Louisiana where there was some construction going on. The speed was reduced rather sharply from 65 to 30. I didn't slow down fast enough and got stopped for speeding. I handed the officer my license, LTC, and Insurance. He asked me to disarm myself and leave my holstered weapon on the front seat and step out to the rear of the car. I wasn't happy about the indignity and extra handling of a loaded weapon on the streets, but my carry method is pretty easy for me to disarm and rearm. I complied without complaint. The officer checked out my papers returned them to me and asked if I had served in Vietnam. I told him "No I was a cold war Vet and only saw gunfire at the range" He then told me that he and his agency don't make it a habit of ticketing Veterans, cautioned me to slow down and thanked me for my service. I left confused and grateful.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”