Speeding in a School Zone

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jayinsat
Posts in topic: 3

Speeding in a School Zone

Post by jayinsat »

I had a very pleasant interaction this morning. I was driving 35 in a 20 (school zone) and was pulled over by a motorcycle officer. He was very pleasant. He asked for my license and insurance which I produced immediately, along with my LTC. He asked me to hold onto it all while he completed the citations on the two previos vehicle he stopped before me. I waited patiently for nearly 15 minutes while he finished them up. He returned to my vehicle and took my id and asked if I was armed. I replied yes. He asked where it was. I said on my hip and that I will not me reaching anywhere near it. He assured me he did not feel threatened at all and he appreciated me informing him and carrying responsibly. He also thanked me for actually carrying which, in his experience, most LTC holder don’t do. He went back to his vehicle and returned in less than 2 minutes with a warning. Did I mention it was a school zone? I am an African American middle aged male. I only mention that because it contradicts the narrative in our society.
God bless Texas
Traffic Warning
Traffic Warning
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Speeding in a School Zone

Post by KC5AV »

I love a happy ending.
NRA lifetime member

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

jayinsat wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:10 am I had a very pleasant interaction this morning. I was driving 35 in a 20 (school zone) and was pulled over by a motorcycle officer. He was very pleasant. He asked for my license and insurance which I produced immediately, along with my LTC. He asked me to hold onto it all while he completed the citations on the two previos vehicle he stopped before me. I waited patiently for nearly 15 minutes while he finished them up. He returned to my vehicle and took my id and asked if I was armed. I replied yes. He asked where it was. I said on my hip and that I will not me reaching anywhere near it. He assured me he did not feel threatened at all and he appreciated me informing him and carrying responsibly. He also thanked me for actually carrying which, in his experience, most LTC holder don’t do. He went back to his vehicle and returned in less than 2 minutes with a warning. Did I mention it was a school zone? I am an African American middle aged male. I only mention that because it contradicts the narrative in our society.
God bless TexasD8218AFB-0127-4741-BC55-10CA5AE1D9FD.jpeg
A school zone AND a Motorcycle cop! Good interaction and result.
I'll bet your attitude and demeanor went a long way to making this end well. Nicely done.
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

jayinsat wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:10 am I had a very pleasant interaction this morning. I was driving 35 in a 20 (school zone) and was pulled over by a motorcycle officer. He was very pleasant. He asked for my license and insurance which I produced immediately, along with my LTC. He asked me to hold onto it all while he completed the citations on the two previos vehicle he stopped before me. I waited patiently for nearly 15 minutes while he finished them up. He returned to my vehicle and took my id and asked if I was armed. I replied yes. He asked where it was. I said on my hip and that I will not me reaching anywhere near it. He assured me he did not feel threatened at all and he appreciated me informing him and carrying responsibly. He also thanked me for actually carrying which, in his experience, most LTC holder don’t do. He went back to his vehicle and returned in less than 2 minutes with a warning. Did I mention it was a school zone? I am an African American middle aged male. I only mention that because it contradicts the narrative in our society.
God bless TexasD8218AFB-0127-4741-BC55-10CA5AE1D9FD.jpeg
:thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Congrats. I've heard that speeding in a school can get really costly. :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

easy10

Post by easy10 »

you should buy a lottery ticket

Tarrant County Defensive Driving

"Speeding in a school zone is an even more serious offense with the base fine starting at $127.10, an additional $8 per mile over the speed limit, and a $97.10 court cost".
Last edited by easy10 on Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

My local cops tell me that one of the few tickets they almost always write is for speeding (>5 over) in a school zone.

OP got lucky I think. Thanks for the good news report... and... SLOW DOWN! :lol: :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I spent 3 years helping out as a driveway guard a the Junior High School when my boys were there. I can't tell you how many speeders, texting, unsafe lane changes, turning right on red when the kids were present... We even had several that would try to drive past us, the no entry signs, cones.... Even had one idiot run over a Vice Principles foot.... We cheered every time someone got pulled over....
Last edited by Tex1961 on Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

This is the time of year many get caught speeding in the school zone. With schools just opening, it is easy to forget just long enough to get caught. You were real lucky on that one. As said above, school zone tickets are real expensive.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Plano PD employs an unmarked navy blue Tahoe for traffic enforcement. When he's working an area, he writes plenty of tickets.

One day, during school zone hours, I was driving behind him, we were both doing the required 20 MPH. Who zooms up on us, passing on the right, was a man in a suit, driving a Toyota Camry with an Oklahoma plate, doing about 50 MPH.

Just as he was about to pass Mr. Unmarked, the Toyota saw the extra cop lights on either side of the Tahoe's rear windshield. He hit the brakes but he was already toast.

I looked up the Plano PD fees for speeding in a school zone. They appear to run from $229-$329. If there's extra fees, it would be even more. YMMV.

It's kind of rare to see instant karma, but I saw it that day.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

So no ticket for driving while male? :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
jayinsat
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jayinsat »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:45 pm So no ticket for driving while male? :lol:
"rlol"
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Many years ago, when I was writing speeding tickets, I did not cut any slack in school Zones.

I Wrote one to a member of my Masonic lodge, who was also a Houston Firefighter.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

No such mercy in Carrollton. They set up in the high school zones like wolf packs preying on kids and or their parents. Not nearly as much as the elementary schools since none of the kids are driving yet.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

By the way. People do need to slow down in school zones. There are peoples children walking to and from school there. Honestly, while you got lucky. The cop should have given you a ticket to wake you up.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”