Stopped for speeding - great experience.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
n5wmk
Posts in topic: 1

Stopped for speeding - great experience.

Post by n5wmk »

The first time in over 15 years that I've been pulled over by LEO since I got my CHL/LTC.

Saturday morning, I was driving to a locally owned tire store in McKinney that I like to give my business. I was on a side street that I use only occasionally, and didn't realize that the speed limit had been dropped from 40 to 30. I was probably doing about 43 (yeah, I know I would have been speeding even if it was still 40), and was slowing down as I got to the more built-up section. I saw a McKinney patrol Tahoe parked on my left, and gave a wave as I passed by. Then the Tahoe pulled out of where it was sitting, u-turned to follow me, and a few seconds later, lit up the lights. Well, crud, I thought. For only a couple mph above the limit?

I pulled off the street into an empty parking lot, and the Tahoe followed me. I rolled down both windows, got out my DL and LTC, and had them in my left hand out the window with my right on top of the steering wheel. I could see the female officer clicking on her terminal, running my license plate number. About 30 seconds later, she got out and walked up to my side, putting on her Covid mask while walking.

Officer T. Lynch asked if I knew why she stopped me. I said I figured speeding, but didn't think I was going that fast. Then she told me that the limit was 30, and I was doing 42. I apologized for that, told her I thought it was 40 and knew it was 30 just past where she was parked. She replied that with the heavy traffic leaving the factory down at the end, there had been a lot of accidents so the entire street was lowered to 30. I apologized for not seeing the new limit sign.

She looked at both of my cards and asked if I was carrying. "Yes, ma'am." "Where is it?" "On my right hip, 3 o'clock" "Well, just leave it there, we'll be OK. I'll be back in a minute."

She took both cards with her back to the Tahoe, and ran my numbers. A bit later she got came back, without a ticket book, and handed me my cards back. She thanked me for my service (Veteran marked on both cards), and said to be careful on that street, the were watching it heavily because of all the factory traffic.

I thanked her for her service and protecting everyone, and said I realized how hard it is for LEO right now. "Yes, it's certainly a different time right now, but we're doing our jobs as best as we can."

My thanks to McKinney Officer T. Lynch for a very professional encounter.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”