A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Taking LTC classes under 21

Post by Tex1961 »

Correct me if I’m wrong.
My understanding is that you can take the LTC class if your under 21 years old. Obviously you can’t register with the state until your 21, but if I remember correctly you have 1 or is it 2 years from class completion date to application with DPS.

Thanks

UPDATE, Never mind. I found the answer. You can up to 2 years.

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Taking LTC classes under 21

Post by AF-Odin »

Tex1961, you are correct, but I caution those that may be thinking about it that Permit-less carry requires you to be 21 and that between the time they would take the class and then become old enough, things in the laws may change (if it is more than a few months). All that said, I have quite a few under-21 students, but they meet the requirement of being active duty, reserve component, or honorably discharged from the US Military. The indoor range where I work part time has an employee who is also one of our "Intro to Handgun Shooting" instructors who is 20. He was medically discharged (honorable) from the Army and has his LTC.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Taking LTC classes under 21

Post by Tex1961 »

AF-Odin wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:43 am Tex1961, you are correct, but I caution those that may be thinking about it that Permit-less carry requires you to be 21 and that between the time they would take the class and then become old enough, things in the laws may change (if it is more than a few months). All that said, I have quite a few under-21 students, but they meet the requirement of being active duty, reserve component, or honorably discharged from the US Military. The indoor range where I work part time has an employee who is also one of our "Intro to Handgun Shooting" instructors who is 20. He was medically discharged (honorable) from the Army and has his LTC.
Yeah, I'm with you. I have a private class coming up and one of them is 20 right now. I'll defiantly be letting them know..

Return to “Instructors' Corner”