CHL Instructor Certification FRUSTRATION.

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
kappatiff
Posts in topic: 4

CHL Instructor Certification FRUSTRATION.

Post by kappatiff »

Hi all - my husband (a police officer/former military) and I (current CHL holder) are trying to get certified to be instructors. The "new and improved" site is only improved in the way that it's quite easy for them to walk you through the appropriate steps to take your money. Questions I have:

1) Fingerprints: they already have mind b/c of the CHL and they should already have my husbands b/c of various Law Enforcement avenues. Do we seriously have to pay to have them taken AGAIN?

2) What is the CHL-90 form that is on the checklist of items to send in? I've searched online and all the applicable links that direct me back to a state website say that the "CHL-90 form is currently being updated." And that's it. Nothing else at all.

3) When is the next course? There is zero information on any state-supported website I've been able to locate.

I've also tried emailing them twice with these questions, to no avail whatsoever. After that, I tried calling. The experience on that front was frustrating to say the least. After waiting on the automated system for 10 and 15 minutes respectively, I finally heard ringing and then the call was disconnected.

I'm redheaded and am getting increasingly frustrated. I don't want to miss the next course if it's true that they only do this once/year. And if THAT is true, we need to know when that is in order to take off work, etc.

Help please?!?!
{The best defense against a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun}

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CHL Instructor Certification FRUSTRATION.

Post by C-dub »

I don't know much about this topic, but did see this thread. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=59877" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has some more information that you might find helpful.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
kappatiff

Post by kappatiff »

I did not see that thread. That actually does help quite a bit. Thank you!!!!!!

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Crossfire »

kappatiff wrote: 1) Fingerprints: they already have mind b/c of the CHL and they should already have my husbands b/c of various Law Enforcement avenues. Do we seriously have to pay to have them taken AGAIN?
Yes, you seriously do
2) What is the CHL-90 form that is on the checklist of items to send in? I've searched online and all the applicable links that direct me back to a state website say that the "CHL-90 form is currently being updated." And that's it. Nothing else at all.
It actually says: "The Concealed Handgun License (CHL) form for Instructor Applicants Only is being updated. Please visit Customer Service, select “Concealed Handgun” and complete the form indicating that you need an instructor’s application." Did you try that?
3) When is the next course? There is zero information on any state-supported website I've been able to locate.
I've also tried emailing them twice with these questions, to no avail whatsoever. After that, I tried calling. The experience on that front was frustrating to say the least. After waiting on the automated system for 10 and 15 minutes respectively, I finally heard ringing and then the call was disconnected.
After you submit the application, they will let you know when the next class is. Typically, they do about 4 a year. If you are lucky, you will get a couple of months notice before the class.
I'm redheaded and am getting increasingly frustrated. I don't want to miss the next course if it's true that they only do this once/year. And if THAT is true, we need to know when that is in order to take off work, etc.

Help please?!?!
If you want to be an instructor, you should consider cooling off that redhead. Dealing with DPS can be frustrating. Dealing with armed students can sometimes be more so. Are you really sure this is what you want to do?
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 5

Post by sjfcontrol »

Crossfire wrote:
kappatiff wrote:
It actually says: "The Concealed Handgun License (CHL) form for Instructor Applicants Only is being updated. Please visit Customer Service, select “Concealed Handgun” and complete the form indicating that you need an instructor’s application." Did you try that?
Well, I did. And got redirected to the page that said the form was being updated.

(and this is in the wrong forum)
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

sjfcontrol wrote:(and this is in the wrong forum)
You are correct. Moved to "Instructors Corner"

So, are you saying you completed the form on the customer service site, and they directed you back to the forms download page?

Topic author
kappatiff

Post by kappatiff »

Crossfire wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:(and this is in the wrong forum)
You are correct. Moved to "Instructors Corner"

So, are you saying you completed the form on the customer service site, and they directed you back to the forms download page?
I clicked all the links through Customer Service and so forth. I've filled out two different "help" forms and have yet to receive a response to any questions.

Topic author
kappatiff

Post by kappatiff »

Crossfire,
Fingerprints: Sounds about par for the course.
Frustration: Yes, I'm certain this is what I want to do. I am a degreed and certified educator, have dealt with many a frustrating and potentially armed student unfortunately, and don't feel that the frustration is unwarranted. I currently consult on process improvement and detrimental customer service practices. Please don't lecture me. I'm simply looking for answers to questions that the state makes very difficult to get answers to, as efficiently as possible. This is not an unreasonable thing.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Not a lecture - just an observation.

Good luck to you in your process.

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

Crossfire has given you good answers. Not many people know as much about the way the CHL program has worked and changed since its inception as she does. DPS has been improving things a lot believe it or not. Sooner or later it will all be worked out. They have a lot on their plate and don't always prioritize their improvements to suit everyone. This forum is helpful to keep in touch with what other instructors have learned. Once you have the application requirements completed, they will send you an email notifying you when you are scheduled for a class. Make sure you follow the instructions in it and come to the range prepared. They will not allow time on range day to figure out an unfamiliar gun and they run a very disciplined range. If it's not enough notice for you to take time off from work, they will allow you to request to be put into the next class. Be aware that since the classes tend to be in the Spring and Summer, there are likely a lot of applicants awaiting scheduling since last Summer. You may not be put in the next class if that is already full with previous applicants. It can be frustrating waiting for news. Don't expect them to communicate until they have you scheduled for a class. Your blood pressure will be better off. Best wishes. :tiphat:
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Crossfire wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote: So, are you saying you completed the form on the customer service site, and they directed you back to the forms download page?
No, I guess not. Couldn't find the customer service form (I see it's now a link from the downloadable forms page -- don't think it was the other day, or I just missed it) I did try to follow the instructions, but just wound up back where I started.

So, are they sending CHL-90's out individually upon request to each of the 2000+ instructors that need to renew this year?

By the way, I have now filled out the form. Seems they request your SSN, DL#, etc. on a non-secure form. While I was at it, I asked if they were now requiring instructors to have completed a non-DPS handgun instructor's course to qualify as a CHL instructor. We'll see what happens.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Thanks, SJF. Although I do have my NRA instructor certs, I know many don't. And, since they never required this before, I can't see it suddenly being a requirement now.

Interesting side note - Utah, which has a much less stringent training requirement for students, DOES require instructors to have NRA Basic Pistol Instructor or POST certification.

USGLOBALASSETS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by USGLOBALASSETS »

I was asking myself this.I sent my app. Early last year before I was an NRA Instuc. but the other day I got an email wanting a copy of my NRA certs. So They must be requiring this now. I was going to attened the full course because I was not Cert. at time of application.

On I side not they needed the Cert. by jan 31,2013 because " we are squeduling classes at this time." Who nows what that means. As I have not heard anything since. I was told in an email last year they would give about 2 weeks notice.

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

Looking at the rules it could be interpreted to mean other instructor certification is required in addition to the DPS class. That's not how they used to interpret it but that could change.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I am currently digging into this with some contacts I have. Hang loose as I hope to have a solid answer in a day or so.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Instructors' Corner”